Author Topic: The Largest Challenge to Permian Field Development  (Read 835 times)

Offline thackney

The Largest Challenge to Permian Field Development
« on: April 18, 2019, 03:31:24 pm »
The Largest Challenge to Permian Field Development
https://www.rigzone.com/news/the_largest_challenge_to_permian_field_development-18-apr-2019-158630-article/

From sourcing to disposal, water is becoming the largest challenge to field development in the Permian Basin.

That’s according to energy research and consultancy company Wood Mackenzie (WoodMac), which made the statement in a recent post published on its website. In the post, WoodMac said failure to address these issues could increase costs, “with potential consequences as severe as well shut-ins”.

“The number of completed Permian wells continues to increase, and water disposal volumes are forecast to double by 2022,” WoodMac said in the statement.

“This produces increasingly large volumes of water. Even with 100 percent water re-use for completions, which is unlikely, the current salt water disposal infrastructure is expected to hit capacity in the near future. Additionally, increased water trucking has created traffic jams and damaged roads,” WoodMac added.

“Water disposal costs can account for a third of total lease operating expenses in the Permian....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: The Largest Challenge to Permian Field Development
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 03:33:19 pm »
Frac Water Demand in US Skyrockets
https://www.rigzone.com/news/frac_water_demand_in_us_skyrockets-22-jan-2019-157975-article/

The demand for frac water in the United States is about to skyrocket, according to new research by Rystad Energy.

While U.S. shale oil production is hitting record levels, Rystad has found that frac water demand has more than doubled since 2016. The demand in the Permian alone currently exceeds all of U.S. demand of 2016.

The future for frac water demand also looks positive, with Rystad predicting demand to grow by an additional 6 percent in 2019. The Permian will see demand surpass 2.5 billion barrels by 2020....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 03:57:52 pm »
I just knew when I heard of "Recycling Frac Fluids" it had to be too good to be true.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 06:48:11 pm »
I just knew when I heard of "Recycling Frac Fluids" it had to be too good to be true.
Since most frac water returns to the surface, recycling remains important.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington