Author Topic: Man caught with 2 gas cans entering St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC, police say  (Read 2072 times)

Offline mountaineer

Man caught with 2 gas cans entering St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC, police say
By Danielle Wallace, Stephen Sorace, Nicole Darrah | Fox News

A man was taken into custody in New York Wednesday night after entering St. Patrick’s Cathedral carrying two canisters of gasoline, two bottles of lighter fluid and two butane lighters, authorities said.

The 37-year-old man, whose identity will be released once he is formally charged, was stopped by a cathedral security officer, New York City Police said. As the man was turned around, he spilled some gasoline on the floor and walked south onto Fifth Avenue and over to 50th street.

Investigators said the man was cooperative but acted evasively and offered police inconsistent answers. He told officers that he was “cutting through the cathedral to get to Madison Avenue” and that "his car ran out of gas," police said. But when police checked the man's minivan, it's gas tank wasn't empty. ...

It is too early to consider terrorism but “I think, if added to that the events at the iconic location of Notre Dame and all of the publicity around that, I think this is an indicator of something that would be very suspicious,” John Miller, deputy commissioner of intelligence & counterterrorism of the NYPD, said.  ... Full story

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Man nabbed after walking into St. Patrick’s Cathedral with gas cans, lighters
By Larry Celona, Tina Moore and Kenneth Garger
April 17, 2019 | 9:54pm

A man was nabbed Wednesday night walking into St. Patrick’s Cathedral with four gallons of gasoline, lighter fluid and lighters, police said.

Marc Lamparello, 37, of New Jersey, entered the historic Midtown church about 8 p.m. with the flammable paraphernalia, but was quickly intercepted by church security, law enforcement sources said. ...

Lamparello is a CUNY student seeking his Ph.D. in philosophy and has done stints as an adjunct lecturer at Lehman College, a police source said.

Cops initially recovered two red, 2-gallon cans of gasoline, as well as a bag containing two bottles of Kingsford lighter fluid and a pair of barbecue lighters, officials said.

A third gasoline can was later found inside Lamparello’s van, law enforcement sources said. ...
More at NY Post

Offline skeeter

There to do 'renovations' no doubt.

Online Polly Ticks

It is too early to consider terrorism ...

Really?  I'm not sure what else we should be considering.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Victoria33

@Polly Ticks

A few weeks ago, our Catholic Priest told the audience the Fort Worth Diocese was putting together Security Teams to be in every Catholic Church in the Diocese.  He asked for volunteers of men who have a license to carry.  They will go to training classes to put this security plan into action.

Finally, there is a plan to protect church members.

Online Polly Ticks

@Polly Ticks

A few weeks ago, our Catholic Priest told the audience the Fort Worth Diocese was putting together Security Teams to be in every Catholic Church in the Diocese.  He asked for volunteers of men who have a license to carry.  They will go to training classes to put this security plan into action.

Yes, our Southern Baptist church did the same thing about a year or so ago.  We also have hired an off-duty LEO to come in uniform with a squad car to park in the parking lot.

It's sad that we all feel that need now.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline mountaineer

That's exactly what my Presbyterian church is doing. Mr. M and I, being CCL holders, are on the security team. From my vantage point in the choir loft, I can draw a bead on any bad guy coming down the center aisle.  **nononono*  A sad thing.

Edit to add: It's an Evangelical Presbyterian Church. If we still were in the PCUSA, I doubt such a plan would fly. That bunch hates guns as much as they love illegals.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 02:20:59 pm by mountaineer »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Our Methodist church struggled with this because we are so accessible and have probably the largest congregation that would be unprotected. The church has become openly anti-gun and a bad person would know this. The church I attend now (non-denom) has multiple CCW folks in the congregation and all of them are packing or have it easily accessible. I know one church that has "lockboxes for valuables" in an office near the sanctuary. 
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
This just came on my NJ wires. The man in question is a college professor who teaches a G-d class at Brooklyn College. He’s from NJ.

https://nj1015.com/man-with-gas-cans-at-cathedral-is-nj-college-prof-who-teaches-god-class/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

A philosophy prof who taught a class on the existence of God. I'm guessing his conclusion was "not."

Offline SirLinksALot

This is not widely reported, but the French should know.

A month before the Notre Dame Cathedral was gutted, a fire nearly destroyed the St. Sulpice Cathedral ( a smaller one but still grand ). St. Sulpice is just about a mile away from Notre Dame. The authorities investigating that fire ( occurred March 17,2019 ) concluded that it was arson.

Now this. Coincidence?

Offline thackney

This is not widely reported, but the French should know.

A month before the Notre Dame Cathedral was gutted, a fire nearly destroyed the St. Sulpice Cathedral ( a smaller one but still grand ). St. Sulpice is just about a mile away from Notre Dame. The authorities investigating that fire ( occurred March 17,2019 ) concluded that it was arson.

Now this. Coincidence?

An article from last month:

CATHOLIC CHURCHES ARE BEING DESECRATED ACROSS FRANCE—AND OFFICIALS DON’T KNOW WHY
https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800
3/21/19

France has seen a spate of attacks against Catholic churches since the start of the year, vandalism that has included arson and desecration.

Vandals have smashed statues, knocked down tabernacles, scattered or destroyed the Eucharist and torn down crosses, sparking fears of a rise in anti-Catholic sentiment in the country....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline mountaineer

Let's face it,  Christians and Jews are targets.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
He had a 1 way ticket to Rome for tonight
Countdown to Resignation

Offline musiclady

Really?  I'm not sure what else we should be considering.

The media (and law enforcement) has become so frightened of being called "anti-Muslim" that they deny the possibility of terrorism before they know anything about what happened.

They are making fools of themselves with these premature pronouncements.

Terrorism should be on the list until it's ruled out by the FACTS.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

Let's face it,  Christians and Jews are targets.

And that is increasing.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline verga

Several of the Churches in my area have made it known that members of the congregation are not only armed, but more than willing to use them in defense of the other members.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

Man accused of bringing gas cans to St. Patrick's Cathedral is college professor, was previously arrested at another cathedral
By Nicole Darrah | Fox News
The man who allegedly brought gas cans and lighter fluid into St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City has taught philosophy at different colleges in New York and New Jersey, school officials said.

Marc Lamparello, 37, was arrested on Wednesday night and was charged with attempted arson and reckless endangerment. He was taken into custody after a security guard at the cathedral on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan spotted him. ...

Lamparello has worked as a part-time online instructor at Lehman College in New York, and taught philosophy as a part-time adjunct instructor at Seton Hall University in New Jersey, both schools confirmed to Fox News on Thursday.

Brooklyn College said in a statement that because Lamparello is a PhD student at the College of New York's Graduate Center, he is required to teach a course on campus, and was assigned to the school.

Sarah Ramsey, a spokesperson for Lehman, said the school is aware of what happened at St. Patrick's Cathedral, and is "taking appropriate steps to terminate the individual's employment with the college," while Seton Hall said Lamparella is no longer working with the university, as their "top priority is the education and welfare of our students and the entire campus community." ...
FOX

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
They are reporting it wasn’t terrorism but I wonder what his brain was thinking. Nervous breakdown? Bipolar or schizophrenia?

This is a beautiful church. Btw. Not as old as a European one but still beautiful.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline PeteS in CA

An update:

https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/23/marc-lamparello-saint-patricks-cathedral-new-york-suicide-burn-arson-professor/

College Professor Accused Of Planning To Burn Down NYC Cathedral Reportedly Dies By Suicide
MARLO SAFI
CULTURE REPORTER
April 23, 2020
A New Jersey college professor who was accused of planning to burn down St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City died by suicide April 17, NBC News reported Thursday.

Marc Lamparello of Hasbrouck Heights was released from Rikers Island March 20 due to concerns about coronavirus and died April 17, according to his attorney, NBC News reported.

Lamparello was arrested April 2019 after police say he tried to enter St. Patrick’s Cathedral with a full pair of two-gallon cans of gasoline, lighter fluid and lighters. ...
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline mountaineer

Looks like Gefn had him pegged - mental problems.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Bears many hints  and similarities, of TDS, 37 year old student=political child

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
An article from last month:

CATHOLIC CHURCHES ARE BEING DESECRATED ACROSS FRANCE—AND OFFICIALS DON’T KNOW WHY
https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800
3/21/19

France has seen a spate of attacks against Catholic churches since the start of the year, vandalism that has included arson and desecration.

Vandals have smashed statues, knocked down tabernacles, scattered or destroyed the Eucharist and torn down crosses, sparking fears of a rise in anti-Catholic sentiment in the country....
It wasn't the Lutherans or Calvinists who fought in the Crusades. It was the Catholics.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Was he wearing Hospital scrubs and a mask?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It wasn't the Lutherans or Calvinists who fought in the Crusades. It was the Catholics.

Isn't that a long time to carry a grudge?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: