Author Topic: Two New Tent Cities Will Be Built in Texas to Hold Migrants  (Read 856 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Two New Tent Cities Will Be Built in Texas to Hold Migrants
« on: April 18, 2019, 01:09:27 pm »
NY Times By Manny Fernandez 4/17/2019

HIDALGO, Tex. — The federal government will spend nearly $40 million to build and operate two new tent cities for migrant families and children in Texas, as the Trump administration scrambles to respond to a surge of Central American asylum-seekers at the southwest border.

Kevin K. McAleenan, the acting secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, told reporters during a visit to South Texas on Wednesday that the temporary facilities are part of a strategy to ease overcrowding at Border Patrol detention centers. The two tent cities will be built in El Paso and in the Rio Grande Valley town of Donna by April 30 as processing centers and temporary housing for Central American families and unaccompanied children detained after crossing the border from Mexico.

“It’s clear that all of our resources are being stretched thin,” said Mr. McAleenan, standing in front of a section of border wall in the town of Hidalgo. “The system is full and we are beyond capacity.”

Mr. McAleenan spoke to reporters the day after Attorney General William P. Barr issued an order to immigration judges that they deny some migrants a chance to post bail. The order, which is expected to be challenged in the courts, could keep thousands more in jail indefinitely while they wait for their asylum requests to be resolved, and appeared to be another effort to discourage migrants from seeking asylum. But it could also add to the overcrowding in detention centers on the border when it goes into effect in 90 days.

For weeks, federal, local and nonprofit officials along the border have been struggling to handle a spike in asylum-seekers from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador. Mr. McAleenan, on his first trip to the border as acting homeland security secretary, said the numbers have become unmanageable.

In March, officials encountered or apprehended more than 103,000 migrants, the most in any single month in more than a decade, he said. “Yesterday, in one 24-hour period, we had over 4,800 people cross our border, a new record for the modern era,” Mr. McAleenan said. “Almost 1,000 of them crossed in just three large groups, 375 people in the largest of those groups.”

Over all, the flow of migrants is low compared with the record numbers in the 1990s and early 2000s. But the latest surge has raised a host of legal and logistical challenges. In the Border Patrol’s Rio Grande Valley sector, the number of migrants apprehended so far this month is 8,928, already more than double what it was in April 2018. And in the El Paso sector, the number arriving in April is nearly eight times what it was last April.

More: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/17/us/mcaleenan-migrants-border-texas.html

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Two New Tent Cities Will Be Built in Texas to Hold Migrants
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 08:21:00 pm »
I'd rather use that money on the wall rather than comforting those who shouldn't be here.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 05:37:24 am »
I'd rather use that money on the wall rather than comforting those who shouldn't be here.

These tents will be up by the end of the month...walls take years.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 07:21:46 am »
These tents will be up by the end of the month...walls take years.

Tents have a low fixed cost, but a high variable cost.

Walls have a high fixed cost, but a low variable cost.

Trebuchets cab be built and operated by volunteers, and almost certainly at a profit.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 10:57:34 am »
Our own  'new Palestinians' 'refuge' camp.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 01:59:08 pm »
Tents have a low fixed cost, but a high variable cost.

Walls have a high fixed cost, but a low variable cost.

Trebuchets cab be built and operated by volunteers, and almost certainly at a profit.

Can you get any of the non-lethal options up and running by the end of the month?  If so, I'm for it.

I see on the news this morning another "caravan" of invaders is on the way, larger than ever before.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: