Author Topic: NHL Post Season Thread  (Read 10612 times)

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Re: NHL Post Season Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2019, 11:27:25 pm »
Hi @catfish1957

Some info below your post.

@EdJames

Ed, being new to game of Hockey, I have a few questions......

(1) Seems STL is way more physical and agressive on the glass than BOS is.  Given Sundvquist suspension, and every hit being reviewed, is that a good strategy?

(2) Seems icing is "exempt" on power plays.  Since that is the case, why don't short handed teams just "kamikaze" the puck and sling it down the rink every time?

(3) Tripping penalties.  Seems it could be called 50 times a game every time during contact.  How come refs call it it certain cases and not others.

(4). Delay of game when the puck leaves the rink-  I still haven't figured how that is discerned.

(5) Fighting penalties-  See no. 3. 

(6) Taking Binnington out in Game 3.  I liken this to taking a rookie pitcher out of a crucial situation.  Often that can hurt the kids confidience. Different in this case?

Thanks for your expertise on this thread.

(1)  It is a part of the St. Louis strategy to wear down the opponent physically.  Makes sense for them versus Boston as Bruins have some very skilled Defensemen that can really join the rush and get the puck up in the offensive very quickly.  So, playing the body against the end boards on them is a useful tactic.

In general though, the NHL Playoffs are very much a series of series of attrition.  If you think about it, you are talking about 2 more months of hockey added to the schedule (first round games started around April 9 or 10 and Game 7 of the Cup Final is scheduled for June 12).  And playoff hockey is always much more intense and competitive!  That intensity includes playing the body hard, as much as possible.  If you watched the prior Blues series against San Jose, they wore them down to the point that the Sharks (a very good team) had nothing left in the tank.

So, yes, as long as you keep you board work within the rules, it is fine to keep taking the body as much as possible.

(2) Some teams do try to just get the puck out of the zone and as far down the ice as possible during the penalty kill (because as you noted, they won't be penalized for icing).  There are two aspects of it though that make it not happen as much as you would think.  One is that the penalty killer needs good possession on the stick to be able to get enough on it to clear the zone, and they also need a "clear path" out.  During the quickness and intensity of the play, those two aspects don't come together as often as you would think.  (Recall all of the plays where the team on the power play somehow blocks or knocks down (from the air) those clearing attempts.) 

The other aspect is that just clearing the puck down the ice doesn't take away as much of the time as the power play team often has the goalie passing the puck up to get it out of the zone and back on the attack within a few seconds.  So often the penalty killers will try to play the puck ahead and out of the zone: quick pass to open teammate (even in the zone) with the hope that they skate it out or can make a cleaner pass out.  The team on the PK can often eat up 30+ seconds by attempting to lug the puck into the offensive zone and get it behind the net and tied up, and harass the power play unit as they try to mount their attack.  And of course, if the PP team isn't careful, the PK team may find a shorthanded opportunity open up as they work to move the puck (under their control) down the ice.

(3)  Calling tripping in hockey is almost like calling holding on offensive lineman in football: as you point out it could be called constantly throughout the game!

A good ref (even in a regular season game) will only call it if it is flagrant, and impacts the play.  Incidental trips where one player stumbles over a stick or leg are often not called at all (especially if the player that trips is not clearly a big part of the play going forward).

In fact, NHL refs try to apply that "unwritten" approach throughout the playoffs for most of the infractions: if you are blatant in your action, and your action has a direct impact on the play's progress, you are apt to get a call against you.  Otherwise, if the infraction is incidental and not a big part of the play's progress: "let them play the game" tends to rule.

(4)  That one varies a bit.   See Rule 63.
Rule 63 – Delaying the Game
63.1 Delaying the Game – A player or a team may be penalized when, in the opinion of the Referee, is delaying the game in any manner.

63.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player, including the goalkeeper, who holds, freezes or plays the puck with his stick, skates or body in such a manner as to deliberately cause a stoppage of play. With regard to a goalkeeper, this rule applies outside of his goal crease area.

A minor penalty for delay of game shall be imposed on any player who deliberately shoots or bats (using his hand or his stick) the puck outside the playing area (from anywhere on the ice surface) during the play or after a stoppage of play.

When any player shoots or bats (using his hand or his stick) the puck directly (non-deflected) out of the playing surface from his defending zone, except where there is no glass, a penalty shall be assessed for delaying the game. The determining factor shall be the position of the puck when it was shot or batted by the offending player. If contact with the puck occurs while the puck is inside the defending zone, and subsequently goes out of play, the minor penalty shall be assessed. When the puck is shot into the players’ bench, the penalty will not apply. When the puck is shot over the glass ‘behind’ the players’ bench, the penalty will be assessed. When the puck goes out of the playing area directly off a face-off, no penalty shall be assessed.

Where the "judgement" aspect comes into play is when the player is in the defensive zone and shots the puck indirectly out of play (i.e., it is deflected out), if the ref things the attempt was deliberate, he will assess the penalty.

(5)  Fighting penalties (i.e., a 5 minute major is assessed) is more rare in the playoffs than the regular season.  And, they decrease as each round progresses.  That is, in the first round, you may see 2-3 actual fights (which means that one or both of the players has "dropped the gloves" and starts trying to punch an opponent) per series.  In round 2 you may see 1-2 actual fights.  In round three maybe 0-1 fights.  And in the Finals (round 4) it is rare to see an actual fight.

The reason is pretty clear: no one wants to get taken out of the game for a 5 minute major penalty (and maybe even a 10 minute or game misconduct added on) for an actual fight, with so much at stake. 

So what you will see is the players taking as many liberties as possible (e.g., punching while keeping your glove on, massaging a player's face with your glove on, pushing a player as hard as you can into the boards or onto the ice, grabbing a players jersey and trying to pull him around, trying to knock a player's helmet off, etc.) while not putting themselves into a position where the fighting major can be called.  That is, they keep the gloves on and neither guy squares off with the dukes up like you see a real hockey fight happen.

And again, the refs don't want to impact the game as much as they possibly can avoid, so if there seems to be an "equal" level of hostility between two players doing the things above (typically after a whistle), then it is no harm, no foul, play on.  If there is obviously one player that is the 'aggressor' in the scrum, they may give him a 2 minute roughing minor.  Sometimes if two guys refuse to let go of each other and keep screaming and lunging as the linemen try to separate them, the ref may give them both 2 minute roughing minors.

(6)  Pulling Binnington.  I was actually hoping that Berube would have pulled him sooner.  I can see the parallels between a pitcher and goalie in this regard, and both players can be impacted by the play of the rest of the team.

For this goalie (young rookie) it is more likely that he will recover for the next game (as he did) better off if he isn't left in to just get shelled for 3 full periods.  What went on in game 3 was that Boston was extremely "on," especially their power play.  3 of the 5 goals that Binnington let in were on the PP.  Situation: Boston was stoked (I believe in part because of what happened to Gryzlyk in Game 2) and their PP was bound to return to form.  The Blues were pretty much flat after the first 10 minutes when their flurry didn't give them any goals. 

So what was pretty likely to happen is that the Blues would be giving up more power plays as the game went on (playing desperately from far behind) and their PK was certainly off.  Hence Binnington would likely keep getting shelled and could have given up even more goals.

Berube took him out and likely said after the game: look kid, you'll bounce back, we sucked tonight and didn't give you the support that you needed....  you had no chance on a few on them....  Game 4 is a new game....

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2019, 03:14:16 am »
Hi @catfish1957

Some info below your post.

Thanks @EdJames.  Very informative, and helpful.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2019, 05:38:16 pm »
Thanks @EdJames.  Very informative, and helpful.

You are welcome cat, enjoy the game on Thursday evening, it should be a good one!!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2019, 02:09:12 am »
3rd period coming up, Blues leading in Boston, 1-0. What do people say? It ends this way? Or the Bruins come back. I won't even try.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2019, 03:24:41 am »
You are welcome cat, enjoy the game on Thursday evening, it should be a good one!!

@EdJames

What a game Ed.   Too bad there was a missed call, but the Blues got the bad end of one in OT in the last series.  I guess it all evens out.

I know I haven't seen that many games, but that has to be a text book example of bad ass goal keeping if there ever was one. (both sides)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2019, 10:48:35 pm »
@EdJames

What a game Ed.   Too bad there was a missed call, but the Blues got the bad end of one in OT in the last series.  I guess it all evens out.

I know I haven't seen that many games, but that has to be a text book example of bad ass goal keeping if there ever was one. (both sides)

@catfish1957

It was a good one, cat!  And yes, two great goal tending efforts.  You will notice over time that virtually no team will ever win a Stanley Cup without riding a hot goalie...  no matter how great, or not so great, your goalie was in the regular season, you just can't get through 4 rounds without your goalie being at the TOP of his game!!

And it was a shame....  I am not convinced that Bozak was doing anything but trying to 'play the puck,' but in doing so he clearly took out Acciari's leg from under him and there was no good reason that the ref standing about 15 feet away didn't blow the whistle....  the missed call marred a great game.

However, that one missed call didn't lose the game for Boston....  their offense has pretty much gone cold at the worst time....  the series would be over if it wasn't for their power play unit being alive in the first few games....  especially Game 3....  they aren't scoring at even strength.....  not a bit....  and the last two games their power play has gone back in the deep freeze.....

Like every series, it ain't over until one team gets that 4th win....  which is often the hardest one to get....  but, it is looking good for St. Louis....  going back home with a chance to win the Stanley Cup (for the absolute first time in the franchise's long history (joined the league in the 1967 expansion)).....  basically needing to win 1 of the next 2 games......   and in this year's playoffs, the Blues are 3-0 when given a chance to eliminate the opponent and win the series....

Of course, if they don't win on Sunday.....  then back to Boston on Wednesday with the Bruins having the chance to win it on home ice.....   

Go Blues!!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2019, 10:51:05 pm »
Greatest Goalkeeper of all time,  well, Jacques Plante sure gets a lot of attention.

Best Goalkeeper name, Gump Worsley.

Patrick Roy, plenty of other great keepers as well, that guy who won it with the Anaheim Ducks some years ago was pretty sharp too.

It's hard to measure.

@EdJames
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 11:02:37 pm by TomSea »

Offline EdJames

« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2019, 11:26:41 pm »
Greatest Goalkeeper of all time,  well, Jacques Plante sure gets a lot of attention.

Best Goalkeeper name, Gump Worsley.

Patrick Roy, plenty of other great keepers as well, that guy who won it with the Anaheim Ducks some years ago was pretty sharp too.

It's hard to measure.

@EdJames

I agree @TomSea , any of those GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) lists or discussions are tough....  most sports change so much from era to era....

(Got to include Glenn Hall, Bernie Parent, Marty Brodeur, Kenny Dryden... in the discussion!!)

Offline EdJames

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2019, 12:17:53 am »
The team from St. Louis may be awarded their first Stanley Cup in their history tonight...

Over 50,000 fans outside the arena for the watch party....

Game starts in a few minutes on your local Peacock channel....

Go Blues!!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2019, 12:23:42 am »
I think St. Louis takes it tonight, the crowd and all has that feel.

The environment is electric!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:30:36 am by TomSea »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2019, 12:34:53 am »
I'm not a huge Blues fan... but good God... please don't let Boston win another title!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2019, 01:01:03 am »
In my opinion, that hit from behind by St. L  giving Boston a PP and eventually a goal was pretty dirty, a lot of that in the NHL.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2019, 03:14:10 am »
The team from St. Louis may be awarded their first Stanley Cup in their history tonight...

My neophyte takeaways tonight?:

1.  Sloppy play from the Blues between the blue lines.  Poor puck handling managment.
2.  Physical play of the Blues all but evaporated.  1st 5 games it seemed the Blues were crunching Boston along the Boards with regularity and zeal.   Tonight they seemed to take a night off.
3.  Rask is a monster, and pretty much unbeatable when he is on his game.
4. Early STL penalties were boneheaded to be kind.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2019, 03:57:30 pm »
Pretty much so, cat.

I think what may have laid the groundwork for much of it was that the "moment was too big" for the Blues to deal with.

They better get past that and play a heck of a lot better in Boston on Wednesday night....  a team with Boston's experience isn't going to be overwhelmed by the "moment."

Offline EdJames

« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2019, 10:25:47 pm »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2019, 03:17:48 am »
Though, I can't say I've watched every SC final closely, this one seemed very strange and different.

The Blues were blown out 2 times at home in this series, 7-2 and 5-1, one didn't know what to think about what could happen and as said during the game, their goaltender did a lot of journeyman activity this season even if I have that correct.

Big congrats to the Blues.

Nothing against the Bruins either, Tim Thomas back in 2011 as their goaltender was a class act and the Bruins won that SC.

An interesting writeup on that game 5: https://nesn.com/2019/06/this-false-narrative-from-bruins-blues-game-5-is-stupid-needs-to-die/

But in the end, Yeah! WTG St. Louis, 2 members of the team born in St. Louis too by the way.
https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/teams/STL/st-louis-blues/roster/
Maroon and Butler.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2019, 03:21:33 am »

Wow...  congratulaltions to the St. Louis Blues.  Win tonight 4-1, series - 4 games to 3.

A movie could be made about their season.

(1) A quarter through the season, after a miserable start, Head Coach is fired
(2) Last place on January 3rd
(3) Rookie goal keeper is put in on January 7th, and starts the rest of the season.
(4) Same Rookie goal keeper in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals stops 32 of 33 shot help giving his team the cup.
(5) All for a team that had never won the cup before.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:39:03 am by catfish1957 »

Offline EdJames

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2019, 03:32:38 am »
It was a great season/story for the St. Louis Blues!!

So happy for them, Craig Berube, and their fans!! 

51 years in the making, Stanley Cup Champions!!

(A great postseason all around!)

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline TomSea

« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2019, 03:42:31 am »
Craig Berube:

The man who led the franchise to its first Stanley Cup Finals since 1970 is part Cree, meaning he’s partly of First Nation descent.

“What you had to have back then was a Métis card,” Berube said of a certified ID card. “It’s a half-white, half-native type card Because, you know, I look white, and I’d go play in these hockey tournaments. They’d want to know if I had native in me. They’d check you out and stuff. Métis is what you call a person that is white and native.”

He garnered the nickname “Chief,” which is common for players with an indigenous peoples’ background. The achievement of their representation isn’t lost on him or Nolan.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/05/craig-berube-blues-coach-ethnicity-nationality/

Offline TomSea

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2019, 03:45:16 am »
I've got to add on, I think someone posted that the Blues were in last place around Dec. 31st and went all the way to the top and now, Cup Winners.

Check the details, but it's a great story, they don't have say the Superstars like Ovechkin, that's obviously great too.

It's a great hockey sports story.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:46:18 am by TomSea »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2019, 05:37:25 pm »
The only St. Louis Blues I ever cared about was . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2019, 06:02:11 pm »
The only St. Louis Blues I ever cared about was . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

There's no reason to be disrespectful of others.

Larry King said long ago, that the St. Louis Blues was the best name in sports.

St. Louis Blues for a long time when I listened, they probably still do, play Glenn Miller's version of St. Louis Blues on the opening of radio broadcasts for their games. KMOX, the flagship.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:04:50 pm by TomSea »

Offline EdJames

« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2019, 06:06:21 pm »
I'm like Sir Charles, always root for the team that never won a championship!

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2019, 07:51:00 pm »
I'm like Sir Charles, always root for the team that never won a championship!

Agreed.  As a suffering Astros fan, 2017 lifted a burden that haunted me almost my entire life.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2019, 07:28:05 pm »
In 2004, Greece won the Euro Cup, I just liked it because it was totally an unexpected championship, I think some of those kind are the best.

Parade day in St. Louis:

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/this-is-the-biggest-party-st-louis-has-ever-seen/article_e2c433d8-06df-5363-875d-4d2cd6c9e90f.html#1

Time to party, I'd be surprised one's pants didn't split with that. I've got a slow internet stream today or I might look for more coverage of the parade.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 07:30:43 pm by TomSea »