Author Topic: NHL Post Season Thread  (Read 10639 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: NHL Post Season Thread
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2019, 05:30:55 pm »
Stars and Avalanche played great series and should be proud of themselves, let alone, they both had some lean years recently. That one goal was ruled offside for the Avs. I'm sure the right call. Now, if Arizona can finally get back into the post season.

Blues at Sharks tonight,  Hurricanes at Bruins, tomorrow afternoon. Check local listings.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2019, 07:14:03 pm »
Sharks advance.  (Although that reviewed "offsides" that took away Colorado's goal that tied it at 2 is certainly controversial to say the least!)

Round 3 starts tonight with Boston hosting Carolina in the Eastern Conference Finals (Go 'Canes!!)

Western Conference Finals start Saturday with the Blues traveling to San Jose.
I don't know if the puck went out of the zone or not. They replayed it a number of times, but I still couldn't see where the puck was over the blue line. If it was, the Av player was clearly off sides.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2019, 04:14:58 am »
Isn't this the 3rd big break the Sharks have gotten in the post season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/gametracker/recap/NHL_20190515_SJ@STL    <--- See it here.

They reviewed the play, so, that's that. I don't know the rule well enough on this winning goal in OT for the Sharks but that was clearly a handpass. I usually see the hand catches as just part of the game but it's usually not so close to the goal.

Usually, the player just catches it in the air and let's it fall, doesn't give it much direction at all.

USA Today:
Sharks' OT Goal Counts,  Despite Illegal Handpass: "I'm Sure They'll Lose Some Sleep".

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2019/05/15/nhl-playoffs-sharks-defeat-blues-overtime-after-illegal-play/3688710002/

There certainly was plenty of film on that.

BTW, @EdJames  , you talked about the  hockey you've played so to speak. I've got a friend who has played in that. He must be in good shape to do that.  Ice rink, he goes play with some gents from time to time indoor.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:23:37 am by TomSea »

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2019, 12:25:55 pm »
It was an awful way for any game to end, no less a Conference Final game, @TomSea

Clearly a hand pass, though it falls more into the category of a natural reaction than a deliberate attempt to subvert the rules...  the shame is that apparently none of the 4 on ice officials saw it....  I didn't see any replays that showed where the 4 of them were positioned...  but we take their word for it...  and it is not something that can be reviewed....

I'm sure the 4 of them all saw it as soon as they got to their locker room and watched the replay...  just a terrible way for the game to end...  will be interesting to see how St. Louis bounces back from this....  need to win the next game and tie it up....

Yes, it is exhausting, no matter what shape you are in, your are always gassed....  gassed after each shift, gassed at the end of the period, and gassed at the end of the game.....  but then you recover and realize how much fun you just had!!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2019, 03:20:06 pm »
Hoping that San Jose wins Game 7 tonight.... would like to see a Sharks-Canes Cup Final Series!

Any one see how badly St. Louis was screwed last night?   The officating parallels between last nights game and the Saint's NFC championship game is uncanny.  Left Coast bias?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2019, 03:33:20 pm »
Any one see how badly St. Louis was screwed last night?   The officating parallels between last nights game and the Saint's NFC championship game is uncanny.  Left Coast bias?

Horrible.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2019, 09:17:26 pm »

It was a travesty.  Maybe they will change the rules to allow for more plays to be reviewed.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2019, 03:00:21 pm »
So the beaners get in to the Cup Final by sweeping the Hurricanes....  I admit to being surprised at how that series played out.

Blues manage to tie it up at 2 games each by beating Sharks 2-1 last night in St. Louis. 

Since we are down to one series to watch before the Cup Final, I hope this one goes to 7 games...

Offline TomSea

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2019, 04:26:07 pm »
Not for the Bruins but you've got to admit that they look like the proverbial "Beast from the East", a lot of titles have piled up for Boston,  last Superbowl, Red Sox in the last World Series, we will see. Amazing. I will probably lean towards the Blues or Sharks in that regard. It's not the Sharks' fault if the officials make bad decisions honestly.

Sharks vs. Knights, that play that I can not even remember well but the NHL apologized to LV.
Vs. the Avalanche, Avs had the goal nullified, perhaps that was correct.
Vs. the Blues, that hand pass the other night.

Errors will happen no matter what, let's not get spoiled with instant replay so from here on in, we will see.

Bad call, it happens. A few years ago, a team won the SC, I really thought they were way to physical and I had a bit of an empty feeling when they won but that really does go around.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2019, 01:14:22 am »
Obviously, the Blues are in the drivers seat, Sharks have lost their punch! Come back from a five-zip loss? In what alternative universe?

And the Bruins just look so solid, #2 seed I believe, whomever the Bruins face will be decided underdogs.

Radio coverage which I was fortunate to listen to today, certainly was excellent.

List of SC winners, East has won the last 3 but then, before that, the West got quite a few.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stanley_Cup_champions#NHL_champions_(since_1927)

Offline EdJames

« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2019, 05:23:18 pm »
After watching Sunday's game I am not sure if the Sharks have enough in the tank (including healthy players!) to win two games.  We will likely see the Blues vs Bruins.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2019, 11:29:41 pm »
Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals starts tonight:

St. Louis Blues at Boston Bruins, 8:00PM Eastern, on your NBC affiliate.

Go Blues!!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2019, 12:23:55 am »
Nobody probably knows this but KMOX was the flagship station of the St. Louis Blues, years ago as a kid, I sent them something, I forget and they sent me a bunch of Blues promo stuff. So, I've always got a soft spot for the Blues.

And, I think they have a very good chance despite Boston's impressive post season. Boston swept, so sometimes, that layover isn't always the best thing for a team.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2019, 06:30:49 pm »
Well @TomSea the Bruins certainly seemed a bit rusty in the first period after their 10 day layover....  Blues jumped to a 2-0 lead and looked to be in control...  then the Bear woke up....  Boston really seemed to own the game in the 2nd and 3rd periods...

Wednesday night: chance for the Blues to steal one on the road!!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2019, 09:19:13 pm »
Well @TomSea the Bruins certainly seemed a bit rusty in the first period after their 10 day layover....  Blues jumped to a 2-0 lead and looked to be in control...  then the Bear woke up....  Boston really seemed to own the game in the 2nd and 3rd periods...

Wednesday night: chance for the Blues to steal one on the road!!

Want the Blues to win, but if last night was any evidence, they were being outplayed at every angle of the game.

One other thing.......

I am new to this game, but I already have a strong dislike of that Boston punk Marchand.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2019, 09:27:13 pm »
Want the Blues to win, but if last night was any evidence, they were being outplayed at every angle of the game.

One other thing.......

I am new to this game, but I already have a strong dislike of that Boston punk Marchand.

You and about 90% of the fanbase in the NHL!!

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/stu-cowan-bruins-brad-marchand-cementing-his-legacy-as-nhl-jerk

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2019, 02:43:38 pm »
There's a little bit of drama regarding Blues forward Ryan O'Reilly. Basically, he did nothing to help Buffalo win, acted like he'd lost his love for hockey, got traded to St. Louis, and all of a sudden now that he's being carried by a winning team to the finals, he's found his love for the game again.
https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/traikos-oreillys-love-for-the-game-is-back
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/blues-playoff-run-rekindling-ryan-oreillys-love-game/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 02:45:05 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EdJames

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2019, 03:55:11 pm »
Blues steal on in OT, series travels to St. Louis knotted 1-1 for game 3 on Saturday, June 1.

(This will be the first time in Blues' history that they will play a game in the month of June!)

It is uncertain as to whether or not Grzelcyk will be available for Game 3:

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-bruins/2019/05/29/matt-grzelcyk-game-2-stanley-cup

Offline EdJames

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2019, 12:03:40 am »
Game 3 in St. Louis starts in a few minutes.

Series knotted 1-1.

Go Blues!!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2019, 01:39:13 am »
What a disaster, well, there's always game 4...

Offline EdJames

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2019, 07:24:31 pm »
7-2 blow out.

After the first 10 minutes, Boston clearly took control.

Tough outing for Binnington....  hopefully he bounces back strong in Game 4.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2019, 08:13:32 pm »
I'll be for the Blues, others can be for Boston. If St. Louis lose it in 5, heck, they got to the final.  I think they knew they really had to get a result in game 2 which probably made the Bear angry, so, maybe the Blues will get their vibe back. There was a series this year I believe where the team that won the series lost one of their games with that same kind of lopsided result. It's not always curtains.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2019, 08:27:53 pm »
The Bear was angry because Sundqvist plastered Grzelcyk into the boards in Game 2 and it is possible that Grzelcyk won't return for the rest of the series (he is in the concussion protocol and back in Boston).

That gave them a lot of motivation for Game 3, I'm sure the Blues will recover for Game 4.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2019, 03:01:29 am »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2019, 09:19:29 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

@EdJames

Ed, being new to game of Hockey, I have a few questions......

(1) Seems STL is way more physical and agressive on the glass than BOS is.  Given Sundvquist suspension, and every hit being reviewed, is that a good strategy?

(2) Seems icing is "exempt" on power plays.  Since that is the case, why don't short handed teams just "kamikaze" the puck and sling it down the rink every time?

(3) Tripping penalties.  Seems it could be called 50 times a game every time during contact.  How come refs call it it certain cases and not others.

(4). Delay of game when the puck leaves the rink-  I still haven't figured how that is discerned.

(5) Fighting penalties-  See no. 3. 

(6) Taking Binnington out in Game 3.  I liken this to taking a rookie pitcher out of a crucial situation.  Often that can hurt the kids confidience. Different in this case?

Thanks for your expertise on this thread.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 09:22:47 pm by catfish1957 »