Author Topic: NHL Post Season Thread  (Read 10630 times)

Offline dfwgator

Re: NHL Post Season Thread
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2019, 03:56:58 pm »
Columbus, New York Islanders, Carolina.

The NHL marketing department HAS to be having a coronary looking at the Eastern Conference teams remaining. No Crosby? No Ovechkin? The biggest stars of the game, sidelined? Two of the worst-attended teams in the NHL move on?

I've got real bad news for the NHL, I predict  Dallas and Carolina in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2019, 04:17:10 pm »
I've got real bad news for the NHL, I predict  Dallas and Carolina in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Not bad news for this Canes fan!  So thankful they brought Williams back to captain this team.  It's taken a long time to wash the stain of that franchise killing, coach killing, bum Eric Staal away...a pox upon him!
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2019, 04:23:09 pm »
The "problem" with all sports is that they need stars.
If all the teams are so close to one another in talent, it takes the risk of making games irrelevant.  If any team in the playoffs of whatever sport can win, why watch?
Fans, like me, who don't have a home team to root for follow the sport and look for great players/teams to champion. Nothing against the teams that have progressed from the first round, but I just can't get excited.
Average fans need heroes and villains.
Among all the major team sports hockey seems to have the most equalized talent. Nobody wants to be a fan of a perennial loser, but the average fan does want to see great players and great teams even if it is to root against them.
Golden State is a great team with great players, but I despise them more than maybe any team I've ever hated in any sport. And that goes back many, many decades.

@goatprairie
Lemme guess...Patriots fan?   wink777
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2019, 04:27:42 pm »
I agree @TomSea I like to see the games called evenly between the two teams.

They do have the "blood rule" on high sticking penalties that will convert a 2 minute minor into a 5 minute major, I'm not sure if it extends to a play like that.  Being unsure of what the rules say exactly, I think that the refs called the 5 minute major since he was unconscious for a while and bleeding from the head, it definitely influenced their decision.

From seeing some of their 1st round games, I think that the St. Louis Blues have a good chance to advance in the West.  Won't be surprised to see them against the Sharks for the Western Final.

I would love to see Carolina get past the Caps tonight (another Game 7!) and meet Columbus for the Eastern Final.

I like it when the lesser known city's teams keep advancing.
@EdJames

"blood rule" or actually defined as any visible injury as a result of a high stick results in a double minor (Two 2:00 penalties) not a 5:00 major.

I agree with you that the injury undoubtedly did affect the refs decision to assess the major.  Unfortunately, refs are human and sometimes fall prey to "jeez guys, we've gotta assess SOMETHING on that!"

FULL DISCLOSURE:  17 year hockey player and long time ice hockey official speaking...

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2019, 04:42:38 pm »
The Icelanders have been off for about a week as well after sweeping.

I like a team that hasn't won in a while to get a chance to hoist the Cup!!

Bluejackets swept the Lightning, I hope they can shake off what's been quite a layoff.

Sharks have a lot of playoff experience. I would think, they are one of the most winning sports franchises in NA in the last few decades. I think after making the SC final a few years ago, then, they had a bit of a layoff... but they are back up there.

I have no idea about the Avalanche Blues, they are in that central division so, they must have faced each other a number of times.

World Cup 2006, it's etched in my mind, the night before it began or the night before the first Saturday matches, the Hurricanes defeated the Calgary Flames for the SC. So, the Canes have won it, the Stars have won it, the Avs I think won it. 

I'd prefer to see a new team hold the trophy up.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2019, 04:45:19 pm »

I'm not so sure that the Stars can get past the Blues.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2019, 04:47:21 pm »
Not bad news for this Canes fan!  So thankful they brought Williams back to captain this team.  It's taken a long time to wash the stain of that franchise killing, coach killing, bum Eric Staal away...a pox upon him!

I don't give a damn about what the NHL Marketing department frets about.  I agree with you, Brind'amour making Williams the Captain was a great idea!

I will be pleased with a Columbus - Carolina Eastern Final.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2019, 04:53:24 pm »
Ahh, thanks for that correction, yes, the double minor.

I've never been a referee or official but played ice from peewees through high school.  Ice in an Over 30 and then Over 50 league.  (Made a mistake and tried roller in an Over 40 for one season and ended up with a broken leg, could not adjust to those sticky wheels on the floor, never again.)

@EdJames

"blood rule" or actually defined as any visible injury as a result of a high stick results in a double minor (Two 2:00 penalties) not a 5:00 major.

I agree with you that the injury undoubtedly did affect the refs decision to assess the major.  Unfortunately, refs are human and sometimes fall prey to "jeez guys, we've gotta assess SOMETHING on that!"

FULL DISCLOSURE:  17 year hockey player and long time ice hockey official speaking...

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2019, 05:38:26 pm »
@goatprairie
Lemme guess...Patriots fan?   wink777
Packers fan. I don't hate the Patriots. I just hope they lose whenever they play. Or is that hate?

Offline EdJames

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2019, 04:35:06 am »
@TomSea

Well the 2nd Round is almost over.  Just had a great Game 7 between St. Louis and Dallas.  Blues win it in the 2nd OT, about 5 minutes in, when Maroon pokes in a rebound that dropped over Bishop's back.

St. Louis native Ben Bishop played his heart out.... 52 saves on 54 shots on goal.  Kind of fitting that Maroon is a St. Louis native as well.

Craig Berube did a nice job with the matchups throughout; congrats to the Blues.

Tomorrow night we wrap up Round 2 with a Game 7 between San Jose and Colorado, to set the matchup for the Western Final.

Eastern Final is already set with Boston (4-2 series win over Columbus) and Carolina (4-0 sweep of the Icelanders).

Online corbe

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2019, 04:47:25 am »
   Should this be a sticky @TomSea or are you concerned that they already may be too many?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2019, 04:52:25 am »
@TomSea

Well the 2nd Round is almost over.  Just had a great Game 7 between St. Louis and Dallas.  Blues win it in the 2nd OT, about 5 minutes in, when Maroon pokes in a rebound that dropped over Bishop's back.

8888crybaby

Offline EdJames

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2019, 05:08:37 am »
8888crybaby

Always tough to lose a Game 7, even tougher to lose it in OT.

Dallas played a strong series, no regrets there.  But tonight the Blues just had that extra half-step in their legs...

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2019, 05:25:32 am »

Dallas played a strong series, no regrets there.  But tonight the Blues just had that extra half-step in their legs...

I think they need to remove the "C" from Jamie Benn's jersey,  didn't show up for this series.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2019, 05:26:18 am »

And I had to deal earlier with FC Barcelona blowing it,  not a good day on the sports front.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2019, 10:04:39 am »
The Avs and Sharks tonight,  Colorado really is a stubborn team as well and they defeated Winnipeg who, at least, was among the better teams in the Western conference. And that's game 7...I think I'd jinx a team if I picked them. I'll just say it should be good.

The Washington Capitols dropped in overtime this year, won an OT game 7 last year... those roller coaster games...

The Bruins have shown some of the right stuff, I think they should put up an adequate challenge vs. Carolina.

@corbe    I guess, we could sticky it. Thinking about it? Others?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:44:11 am by TomSea »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2019, 02:31:48 pm »
The Avs and Sharks tonight,  Colorado really is a stubborn team as well and they defeated Winnipeg who, at least, was among the better teams in the Western conference. And that's game 7...I think I'd jinx a team if I picked them. I'll just say it should be good.

The Washington Capitols dropped in overtime this year, won an OT game 7 last year... those roller coaster games...

The Bruins have shown some of the right stuff, I think they should put up an adequate challenge vs. Carolina.

Yeah, I don't mind. We can take down the football thread now that the season's over and replace it with this one.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2019, 02:32:52 pm »
I'm definitely rooting for San Jose at this point... it'd be nice to see them finally break past their annual Second Round Exit.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2019, 02:47:25 pm »

So far, Carolina looks like THAT team.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2019, 03:49:46 pm »
I think they need to remove the "C" from Jamie Benn's jersey,  didn't show up for this series.

I agree, he basically was missing from this series, was wondering if he was injured...

Aside from the scoring drought through the two rounds, he also was coughing up the puck all over the place....

I didn't see any Stars regular season games so am only going by what I saw in the playoffs...

Offline EdJames

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2019, 03:51:35 pm »
I'm definitely rooting for San Jose at this point... it'd be nice to see them finally break past their annual Second Round Exit.

Hoping that San Jose wins Game 7 tonight.... would like to see a Sharks-Canes Cup Final Series!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2019, 04:26:21 pm »
@EdJames
@jmyrlefuller
@goatprairie
@Axeslinger
@dfwgator
@EasyAce

I think I got everyone. Thread is now stickied. The problem with stickies is I tend to think some lose the thread looking in the white area.

Some years ago, in one of the first extensive overtime games, I watched the Sharks play someone and I believe that was a historic longest game ever (or one of them) for that time. That record has been broken since.

But,  I always kind of liked them. I think they still made the Stanley Cup final a few years ago. I like them but if I just had to pick a team to win tonight, I'd go with the Avalanche and I'm not really much of a Colorado fan.

This year has been a bit of a changing of the guard to me but not only that, the higher seeds have had problems winning, seeing Tampa Bay, Winnipeg and so on. And that's fine with me. This has probably been one of the best postseasons in awhile. I could be wrong about all of this but it does seem like the higher seeds have had problems.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 04:46:43 pm by TomSea »

Offline EdJames

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2019, 12:18:07 am »
@EdJames
@jmyrlefuller
@goatprairie
@Axeslinger
@dfwgator
@EasyAce

I think I got everyone. Thread is now stickied. The problem with stickies is I tend to think some lose the thread looking in the white area.

Some years ago, in one of the first extensive overtime games, I watched the Sharks play someone and I believe that was a historic longest game ever (or one of them) for that time. That record has been broken since.

But,  I always kind of liked them. I think they still made the Stanley Cup final a few years ago. I like them but if I just had to pick a team to win tonight, I'd go with the Avalanche and I'm not really much of a Colorado fan.

This year has been a bit of a changing of the guard to me but not only that, the higher seeds have had problems winning, seeing Tampa Bay, Winnipeg and so on. And that's fine with me. This has probably been one of the best postseasons in awhile. I could be wrong about all of this but it does seem like the higher seeds have had problems.

@TomSea

It is a beautiful thing Tommy, a beautiful thing!

Just under an hour to our final Game 7 of the Second Round.  Go Sharks!!

I don't recall a long playoff game with the Sharks in it...  the one that I do recall was about 20 years or so ago (how time flies!) between the Flyers and Penguins....  went into 5 OT periods....  I was awake to see the final goal scored by Philly's Primeau but confess to dozing off quite a few times before that!

I'm wondering if Sharks' Captain Joe Pavelski will play tonight....  you remember him going down in the Game 7 in the First Round....  I don't know that the Sharks ever said what his injury was, but I suspect concussion...  I heard DeBoer say that it will be a game time decision....  how does he fare in warmups....

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2019, 06:27:23 pm »
@EdJames
@jmyrlefuller
@goatprairie
@Axeslinger
@dfwgator
@EasyAce

@TomSea
Forgive me, but hockey isn't exactly one of my interests and hasn't been for a very long time.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2019, 09:06:20 pm »
Sharks advance.  (Although that reviewed "offsides" that took away Colorado's goal that tied it at 2 is certainly controversial to say the least!)

Round 3 starts tonight with Boston hosting Carolina in the Eastern Conference Finals (Go 'Canes!!)

Western Conference Finals start Saturday with the Blues traveling to San Jose.