Author Topic: NHL Post Season Thread  (Read 10627 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
NHL Post Season Thread
« on: April 17, 2019, 06:05:32 pm »
Sweep! NHL-best Lightning ousted in record speed by Columbus

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Sullen and speechless, the Tampa Bay Lightning had little explanation for how they followed up a glorious regular season by getting bounced from the playoffs with record-setting haste.

The Columbus Blue Jackets capped a stunning sweep of the Presidents' Trophy winners with a 7-3 victory Tuesday night. Tampa Bay became the first team in the expansion era, which began in 1967-68, to go winless in the first round of the playoffs after leading the league in points during the regular season.

And what a season it was. Tampa Bay tied the NHL record for wins with 62 and amassed 128 points, fourth in NHL history.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/sweep-nhl-best-lightning-ousted-in-record-speed-by-columbus/ar-BBW0Axe?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Stunning win by Columbus.

For those who don't know, the Tampa Bay Lightning was virtually the best, at least, one of the 3 best during this NHL season.  I hope Columbus can keep it up.  It also washes away a few seasons of post-season disappointments I'd say.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:08:36 am by TomSea »

Offline goatprairie

Re: Sweep! NHL-best Lightning ousted in record speed by Columbus
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 10:46:11 pm »
Although I don't follow hockey during the regular season, I watch a lot of the Stanley Cup.
 The wife, who doesn't like basketball but likes to watch ice hockey, decided her favorite team was the Penguins. Naturally, the Penguins got swept by the Islanders.

Offline dfwgator

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 11:09:21 am »
If you get swept in hockey, is that like curling?
The zamboni comes out and sweeps all the losers right out off the ice and out of the arena.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 11:08:09 am »
Congrats to all the teams, especially the winners.

It's astonishing that the San Jose Sharks were losing 2 to nothing in the 18th minute of their game versus the Vegas Knights. I wrote San Jose out of it turned the TV off.

They came back, they won the game 5-4 and won the series.

Joe Pavelski, born in Wisconsin for you all, just looking this up, he got laid out flat on the ice in that 3rd period... and apparently that helped ignite the team.  So, I did see him go down. I just don't want to call it a cheap shot but it sounds like it. I think the Knights got penalized.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/sharks/how-sharks-rallied-joe-pavelski-won-craziest-game-theyve-seen

https://www.nhl.com/news/joe-pavelski-injury-sparks-san-jose-sharks-game-7-rally/c-306993334

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: NHL Post Season Thread
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 12:07:14 pm »
Well, with Toronto having been eliminated last night, that leaves all three Canadian teams out of contention. The Stanley Cup will remain in America for another year.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 12:26:59 pm »
Congrats to all the teams, especially the winners.

It's astonishing that the San Jose Sharks were losing 2 to nothing in the 18th minute of their game versus the Vegas Knights. I wrote San Jose out of it turned the TV off.

They came back, they won the game 5-4 and won the series.

Joe Pavelski, born in Wisconsin for you all, just looking this up, he got laid out flat on the ice in that 3rd period... and apparently that helped ignite the team.  So, I did see him go down. I just don't want to call it a cheap shot but it sounds like it. I think the Knights got penalized.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/sharks/how-sharks-rallied-joe-pavelski-won-craziest-game-theyve-seen

https://www.nhl.com/news/joe-pavelski-injury-sparks-san-jose-sharks-game-7-rally/c-306993334

@TomSea

Tommy, it was something to behold!

Watching live, we had no idea what happened to Pavelski and how bad the injury was.  When the whistle blew he was just laying on the ice motionless.  Sharks players surrounded him and were calling for medical attention, and also yelling at the LV players to stay away.

After a commercial break they showed some replays.  IMO it was the kind of "shove" or "cross check" that you often see in the faceoff circle after the puck is played out...  penalty?  usually yes...  but not called very often...  the bad thing about it is that Pavelski lost his balance and another LV player tried to skate through him as it was happening and his knee got behind Pavelski's legs as he was tumbling back and it made the fall backward so much worse.

Pavelski hit the ice with his shoulder first and his head struck it hard an instant later.  The good thing was that they were able to get him to his feet and help him off the ice, he had a towel on the bleeding that occurred under the helmet.

Now bear in mind that Paveliski is the Shark's Captain.  The team got so fired up that their play on the 5 minute major power play was simply stunning to see!!

They scored 4 goals in the first 4:01 of the 5:00 major power play.  I have been watching NHL hockey since the early 1960s and have never seen such intensity from a team for such a sustained time on the power play.  Except for the faceoffs at center ice after each goal, the play never left the LV end.

I hope that Pavelski is OK and can play in the next series. 

What also made it sweeter was that after LV tied them at 4 with less than 1 minute left in the 3rd period, the Sharks came back to win it toward the end of the 1st Overtime Period!!

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 01:33:17 pm »
Though not a regular hockey fan, I do watch the Stanley Cup.
In hockey, the difference between the best playoff team and the worst team is not as great as the teams in the NBA.
In the NBA first round there were a number of sweeps and series that only went five games. In the eastern division there were two sweeps and two series that only went five games.  There is only one series that might go seven games.
In the Stanley Cup first round there have been a number of seven game series.
In hockey due to the much lower scoring chances mistakes are magnified.  That's why a team like Tampa Bay which won twelve more games during the regular season than the next high team got eliminated in the first round. That simply doesn't happen in the NBA.
 Stars in hockey can be stopped or inhibited a lot more than stars in basketball. Many years ago I remember Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr both getting stopped cold  by New Jersey in one Stanley Cup series. That never happened to Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen.
 In hockey, the playoff underdogs have a much better chance with a hot goalie and extra effort.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 01:37:43 pm by goatprairie »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 04:31:28 pm »
@TomSea

Tommy, it was something to behold!

Watching live, we had no idea what happened to Pavelski and how bad the injury was.  When the whistle blew he was just laying on the ice motionless.  Sharks players surrounded him and were calling for medical attention, and also yelling at the LV players to stay away.

After a commercial break they showed some replays.  IMO it was the kind of "shove" or "cross check" that you often see in the faceoff circle after the puck is played out...  penalty?  usually yes...  but not called very often...  the bad thing about it is that Pavelski lost his balance and another LV player tried to skate through him as it was happening and his knee got behind Pavelski's legs as he was tumbling back and it made the fall backward so much worse.

Pavelski hit the ice with his shoulder first and his head struck it hard an instant later.  The good thing was that they were able to get him to his feet and help him off the ice, he had a towel on the bleeding that occurred under the helmet.

Now bear in mind that Paveliski is the Shark's Captain.  The team got so fired up that their play on the 5 minute major power play was simply stunning to see!!

They scored 4 goals in the first 4:01 of the 5:00 major power play.  I have been watching NHL hockey since the early 1960s and have never seen such intensity from a team for such a sustained time on the power play.  Except for the faceoffs at center ice after each goal, the play never left the LV end.

I hope that Pavelski is OK and can play in the next series. 

What also made it sweeter was that after LV tied them at 4 with less than 1 minute left in the 3rd period, the Sharks came back to win it toward the end of the 1st Overtime Period!!

@EdJames

Thanks, what a descriptive informative post.

So, I read a little on Pavelski going down.

Vegas Knights might have been given a bad deal.

I know in some cases, the NHL has that "blood rule", if you draw blood, it's a 5 minute penalty but I don't know, if it is every case. I know, they had to get a towel to staunch the blood when the player went off.

I may be for one team or the other; but one thing I am always for, I want the game to be as fairly called as possible.

Next round matchups,  Western Conference

Avalanche vs. Sharks,  watch me be wrong but the Avs appear to be pretty awesome.

Stars vs. Blues, the Stars have one very good scoring line.  Probably more but I read about them in the news as well.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 05:48:49 pm »
I agree @TomSea I like to see the games called evenly between the two teams.

They do have the "blood rule" on high sticking penalties that will convert a 2 minute minor into a 5 minute major, I'm not sure if it extends to a play like that.  Being unsure of what the rules say exactly, I think that the refs called the 5 minute major since he was unconscious for a while and bleeding from the head, it definitely influenced their decision.

From seeing some of their 1st round games, I think that the St. Louis Blues have a good chance to advance in the West.  Won't be surprised to see them against the Sharks for the Western Final.

I would love to see Carolina get past the Caps tonight (another Game 7!) and meet Columbus for the Eastern Final.

I like it when the lesser known city's teams keep advancing.

@EdJames

Thanks, what a descriptive informative post.

So, I read a little on Pavelski going down.

Vegas Knights might have been given a bad deal.

I know in some cases, the NHL has that "blood rule", if you draw blood, it's a 5 minute penalty but I don't know, if it is every case. I know, they had to get a towel to staunch the blood when the player went off.

I may be for one team or the other; but one thing I am always for, I want the game to be as fairly called as possible.

Next round matchups,  Western Conference

Avalanche vs. Sharks,  watch me be wrong but the Avs appear to be pretty awesome.

Stars vs. Blues, the Stars have one very good scoring line.  Probably more but I read about them in the news as well.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 05:50:29 pm »
Though not a regular hockey fan, I do watch the Stanley Cup.
In hockey, the difference between the best playoff team and the worst team is not as great as the teams in the NBA.
In the NBA first round there were a number of sweeps and series that only went five games. In the eastern division there were two sweeps and two series that only went five games.  There is only one series that might go seven games.
In the Stanley Cup first round there have been a number of seven game series.
In hockey due to the much lower scoring chances mistakes are magnified.  That's why a team like Tampa Bay which won twelve more games during the regular season than the next high team got eliminated in the first round. That simply doesn't happen in the NBA.
 Stars in hockey can be stopped or inhibited a lot more than stars in basketball. Many years ago I remember Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr both getting stopped cold  by New Jersey in one Stanley Cup series. That never happened to Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen.
In hockey, the playoff underdogs have a much better chance with a hot goalie and extra effort.

Yup, a hot goalie can take you far in the playoffs.

(I love Game 7s, wish every series went to 7!)

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 05:58:24 pm »
Yup, a hot goalie can take you far in the playoffs.

(I love Game 7s, wish every series went to 7!)
Carolina vs Washington tonight, game seven. I'll be watching. I do get a kick out of whenever the home team scores a goal and the airhorns and smoke go off.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 06:07:19 pm »
Carolina vs Washington tonight, game seven. I'll be watching. I do get a kick out of whenever the home team scores a goal and the airhorns and smoke go off.

I will be rooting for Carolina tonight.  I used to not mind the "Great 8" until they actually won the Cup last year.  This year when I see him out there, he just seems to be a bit too full of himself now.

The airhorns are great!  The smoke is fairly new in a lot of arenas, in the past it was the airhorn and the flashing red light that got everyone juiced up!!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 06:09:35 pm »
I seriously think the Stars are the team to beat.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 10:52:00 pm »
I will be rooting for Carolina tonight.  I used to not mind the "Great 8" until they actually won the Cup last year.  This year when I see him out there, he just seems to be a bit too full of himself now.

The airhorns are great!  The smoke is fairly new in a lot of arenas, in the past it was the airhorn and the flashing red light that got everyone juiced up!!
I think ESPN might regret a closeup of Ovechkin after a goal was taken away in the last game. After the refs disallowed a goal for Washington, they focused on Ovechkin clearly mouthing the words "f***ing bullsh*t." So he does know a number of English expressions which I guess is positive.  :pondering:

Offline EdJames

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 11:11:09 pm »
I think ESPN might regret a closeup of Ovechkin after a goal was taken away in the last game. After the refs disallowed a goal for Washington, they focused on Ovechkin clearly mouthing the words "f***ing bullsh*t." So he does know a number of English expressions which I guess is positive.  :pondering:

Yeah, Ovie puts on a show almost every game.

Will be tough for the Canes tonight in Washington...  hoping that "Mr. Game 7" Captain Justin Williams can lead them to victory...  score early to quiet the home crowd.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 11:24:57 pm »
Yeah, Ovie puts on a show almost every game.

Will be tough for the Canes tonight in Washington...  hoping that "Mr. Game 7" Captain Justin Williams can lead them to victory...  score early to quiet the home crowd.

ROFL~!

...in another lifetime, perhaps.

GO CAPS!!!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline TomSea

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 11:33:08 pm »
A problem with Pavelski going down was it was or at least certanly appears like some of those hits to the head that can cause real damage, especially with the blood coming out, a fair portion immediately. I watched the highlights and will try to post later.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 11:33:15 pm »
ROFL~!

...in another lifetime, perhaps.

GO CAPS!!!

Hoping that Russian bastard reverts to his pre-2018 choker self.  bleep the caps!!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 01:10:26 am »
Hoping that Russian bastard reverts to his pre-2018 choker self.  bleep the caps!!

3-1 in the 2nd period.
 wink777
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EdJames

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2019, 03:44:14 am »
3-1 in the 2nd period.
 wink777

You spoke too soon, comrade!   wink777

It took Double Overtime, but who was it that setup the game winner??

"Mr. Game 7" Captain Justin Williams, leads his team to victory in Game 7!!

It was pretty clear that Carolina had the better conditioned team from the 3rd period on.  Better legs through overtime, it was pretty much just a matter of when they would score.

But I have to give it to the Russian bastard, he was a good sport throughout and had some good words for both Dougie Hamilton and Justin Williams during the handshakes.  No perfunctory grunts while looking at the ice, Ovie looked them in the eyes and congratulated them.

All 4 Division winners knocked out in the first round.  Defending Champions, Caps, knocked out in the first round.

Happy for Rod Brind'amour, great job keeping his team in it through 7 games!!

On to Round Two!!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 04:06:44 am »
You spoke too soon, comrade!   wink777

It took Double Overtime, but who was it that setup the game winner??

"Mr. Game 7" Captain Justin Williams, leads his team to victory in Game 7!!

It was pretty clear that Carolina had the better conditioned team from the 3rd period on.  Better legs through overtime, it was pretty much just a matter of when they would score.

But I have to give it to the Russian bastard, he was a good sport throughout and had some good words for both Dougie Hamilton and Justin Williams during the handshakes.  No perfunctory grunts while looking at the ice, Ovie looked them in the eyes and congratulated them.

All 4 Division winners knocked out in the first round.  Defending Champions, Caps, knocked out in the first round.

Happy for Rod Brind'amour, great job keeping his team in it through 7 games!!

On to Round Two!!

:thud:

9999hair out0000

Offline TomSea

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 11:30:34 am »
Bluejackets swept the Lightning, I hope they can shake off what's been quite a layoff.

Sharks have a lot of playoff experience. I would think, they are one of the most winning sports franchises in NA in the last few decades. I think after making the SC final a few years ago, then, they had a bit of a layoff... but they are back up there.

I have no idea about the Avalanche Blues, they are in that central division so, they must have faced each other a number of times.

World Cup 2006, it's etched in my mind, the night before it began or the night before the first Saturday matches, the Hurricanes defeated the Calgary Flames for the SC. So, the Canes have won it, the Stars have won it, the Avs I think won it. 

I'd prefer to see a new team hold the trophy up.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:07:10 pm by TomSea »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2019, 01:03:37 pm »
Columbus, New York Islanders, Carolina.

The NHL marketing department HAS to be having a coronary looking at the Eastern Conference teams remaining. No Crosby? No Ovechkin? The biggest stars of the game, sidelined? Two of the worst-attended teams in the NHL move on?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2019, 03:55:22 pm »
Columbus, New York Islanders, Carolina.

The NHL marketing department HAS to be having a coronary looking at the Eastern Conference teams remaining. No Crosby? No Ovechkin? The biggest stars of the game, sidelined? Two of the worst-attended teams in the NHL move on?
The "problem" with all sports is that they need stars.
If all the teams are so close to one another in talent, it takes the risk of making games irrelevant.  If any team in the playoffs of whatever sport can win, why watch?
Fans, like me, who don't have a home team to root for follow the sport and look for great players/teams to champion. Nothing against the teams that have progressed from the first round, but I just can't get excited.
Average fans need heroes and villains.
Among all the major team sports hockey seems to have the most equalized talent. Nobody wants to be a fan of a perennial loser, but the average fan does want to see great players and great teams even if it is to root against them.
Golden State is a great team with great players, but I despise them more than maybe any team I've ever hated in any sport. And that goes back many, many decades.