Author Topic: Barr rules that asylum-seekers must be detained during deportation proceedings  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Barr rules that asylum-seekers must be detained during deportation proceedings
The Hill, Apr 16, 2019, Jacqueline Thomsen

Attorney General William Barr said in a new ruling issued Tuesday that asylum-seekers who are able to demonstrate a "credible fear" and are then sent to full deportation proceedings are not eligible to be released on bond.

The ruling, which will go into effect in 90 days, states that a previous decision allowing for asylum-seekers to be released on bond while their case is being heard by an immigration judge was incorrect. Only the Department of Homeland Security has the authority to release the asylum-seekers, he wrote.

“I conclude that such aliens remain ineligible for bond, whether they are arriving at the border or are apprehended in the United States,” Barr wrote.

Barr is overturning a 2005 ruling that determined that asylum-seekers are eligible for bond if they are able to exhibit they have credible fear of persecution or danger if they leave the U.S.

But the attorney general argues that, under the Immigration and Nationality Act, the administration is permitted to detain all undocumented immigrants who were initially placed in expedited removal proceedings but then passed the credible fear test and were transferred to a full hearing before an immigration judge.

He also pointed to a 2018 Supreme Court ruling that found that the law did not place limits on how long an immigrant can be detained.

More:  https://thehill.com/latino/439219-barr-rules-that-asylum-seekers-must-be-detained-during-deportation-proceedings

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Good!

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
He also has the authority to put a stop to Asylum in the US.  He can declare that Asylum be obtain in first safe country.  It is already law.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

POTUS_Schedule ‏ @45_Schedule

Current US law allows those who pass Credible Fear Interview to be released into the country until their hearing date. Average processing time through the court system is 700 days.

New ruling means these immigrants would now be held until their hearing date, not released.

3:23 PM - 16 Apr 2019

https://twitter.com/45_Schedule/status/1118278894350667777

In New Effort to Deter Migrants, Barr Withholds Bail to Asylum Seekers
NY Times, Apr 16, 2019

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration on Tuesday took another significant step to discourage migrants from seeking asylum, issuing an order that could keep thousands of them in jail indefinitely while they wait for a resolution of their asylum requests.

In an effort to deliver on President Trump’s promise to end “catch and release” at the border, Attorney General William P. Barr’s order directed immigration judges to no longer allow some migrants who have sought asylum from posting bail.

The order will not go into effect for 90 days, and is all but certain to be challenged in federal court. But immigrant rights lawyers said it could undermine the basic rights of people seeking safety in the United States.

“They want to send a message that you will get detained,” said Judy Rabinovitz, a deputy director of the Immigrants Rights’ Project at the American Civil Liberties Union. “It’s really obscene. We are talking about people who are fleeing for their lives, seeking safety. And our response is just lock them up.”

For more than a decade, migrants who are deemed to have a “credible fear” of persecution in their home countries have been allowed to request a bond hearing so they can be released on bail while they wait for their asylum cases to be heard, sometimes months or years later.

More:  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/16/us/politics/barr-asylum-bail.html

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:22:55 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Better start building some bigger cages.  I thank God I was born white.

I think it would be a neat plot twist if the asylum-seekers were allowed to work as indentured slaves to pay for their incarceration, and it would pay homage to the atrocities of the past.

90 days gets us to the middle of July.  2 months ago Trump was riding high off his State Of The Union speech.  Only thing I remember was the line someone wrote for him... "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation"  or something like that.  3 months ago seem very distant, and it makes rat advertisements about little julian's parents being incarcerated, while seeking asylum, for over a year timed perfectly for the next summer.

Lest anyone assume this is what I want to happen, it's not.  It's just what is going to happen barring a ruling against indefinite incarceration for asylum-seekers.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

They don't need cages.  Tent cities work, and they've already passed all sorts of legal challenges.  A Federal Special Master let Sheriff Joe Arpaio do it in Arizona, and lawsuits were dismissed.  There is precedent.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

They don't need cages.  Tent cities work, and they've already passed all sorts of legal challenges.  A Federal Special Master let Sheriff Joe Arpaio do it in Arizona, and lawsuits were dismissed.  There is precedent.
And the middle of July is a great time to intern them.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

So, when do you suggest they be interned?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Lest anyone assume this is what I want to happen, it's not.  It's just what is going to happen barring a ruling against indefinite incarceration for asylum-seekers.

Indentured  servants (usually white) were treated worse, than slaves (usually black)

The white "servant" would not belong to the master, at the end of the contract; hence he might work them to near death or worse.

However the slave would always be the property of the master, so he had reason to look after their well-being.

Note that many of the early colonial era settlers were indentured servants. At the end they were declared "freemen."

Indentured servitude

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentured_servitude

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Indentured  servants (usually white) were treated worse, than slaves (usually black)

The white "servant" would not belong to the master, at the end of the contract; hence he might work them to near death or worse.

However the slave would always be the property of the master, so he had reason to look after their well-being.

Note that many of the early colonial era settlers were indentured servants. At the end they were declared "freemen."

Indentured servitude

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentured_servitude

Very interesting but I'd like to make clear I don't think indentured servitude is inevitable, but rather stories of parents locked up for a year or more while awaiting asylum.  I also know that some prisoners are used for labor.  That was my point about "indentured slaves."  You may be correct that slaves had more rights than indentured servants.  I wouldn't want to argue either way.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

The Tent City in Maricopa County (Phoenix) is open 365 days of the year. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

The Tent City in Maricopa County (Phoenix) is open 365 days of the year.
Nobody told the fake news.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2017/10/09/maricopa-countys-tent-city-jail-officially-shut-down/748348001/
Maricopa County's Tent City jail officially shut down

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/us/arpaio-tent-city-jail.html
Last Inmates Leave Tent City, a Remnant of Joe Arpaio

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Nobody told the fake news.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2017/10/09/maricopa-countys-tent-city-jail-officially-shut-down/748348001/
Maricopa County's Tent City jail officially shut down

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/us/arpaio-tent-city-jail.html
Last Inmates Leave Tent City, a Remnant of Joe Arpaio

Yes, I knew it was closed last year, should have said "was."  It was closed because we got a Rat Sheriff.  It was only open about 20 years or so. 

You deliberately missed my point:  "We can use tent cities."  In fact, in the non-fake news, $35 Million has been appropriated to build them.
I will NOT comply.

Yes, I knew it was closed last year, should have said "was."  It was closed because we got a Rat Sheriff.  It was only open about 20 years or so. 

You deliberately missed my point: "We can use tent cities."  In fact, in the non-fake news, $35 Million has been appropriated to build them.
I didn't deliberately miss your point.  I didn't get that from "The Tent City in Maricopa County (Phoenix) is open 365 days of the year."  Thank you for explaining it angrily and so sorry.

Let's hope the Trump tent cities last as long.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 05:05:57 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I didn't deliberately miss your point.  I didn't get that from "The Tent City in Maricopa County (Phoenix) is open 365 days of the year."  Thank you for explaining it angrily and so sorry.

I am sorry I used the word "is" instead of "was."  I make no further apologies.  You already know your ignorant attitude about the illegals we face in AZ (And you don't) pisses me off.  Call me angry if you wish, but you'll never "get it" if you haven't by now.  Willfully ignorant people never do.

I'll leave your dumb-ass comments fly now, everybody knows you are FOS on this topic.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I am sorry I used the word "is" instead of "was."  I make no further apologies.  You already know your ignorant attitude about the illegals we face in AZ (And you don't) pisses me off.  Call me angry if you wish, but you'll never "get it" if you haven't by now.  Willfully ignorant people never do.

I'll leave your dumb-ass comments fly now, everybody knows you are FOS on this topic.

He says them because he knows they piss you off.  And, he's not just willifully ignorant; he comes on these threads to establish and express his moral superiority over all of us. 

Pinging @Once-Ler since I'm talking about him.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

I think it would be a neat plot twist if the asylum-seekers were allowed to work as indentured slaves to pay for their incarceration, and it would pay homage to the atrocities of the past.

90 days gets us to the middle of July.  2 months ago Trump was riding high off his State Of The Union speech.  Only thing I remember was the line someone wrote for him... "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation"  or something like that.  3 months ago seem very distant, and it makes rat advertisements about little julian's parents being incarcerated, while seeking asylum, for over a year timed perfectly for the next summer.

I don't think that cage is the appropriate word for detention center.   Fenced in yes.  These people turn themselves over to the Border Patrol.  They trek through the desert.  Sometimes dying out there.  Sometimes without water.  They come in disease ridden caravans arriving sick.  Some reports say they are waiting on the Mexican side of the fence for the Border Patrol to let them in.  Enough with the talk of cages.  These people arrive and are given food and water.  Medical care.  Many sent to the Hospital to receive expensive medical care.  Lets not pretend that this is like Kim Jung Ungs labor camps.  Ridiculous.  They are well cared for.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

I'd gladly pay for a couple of tents to create several extremely large tent cities in Mexico.  They need however, to be paying Mexico rental space (per cot) as well as providing their own food and medical.  Word gets around, more won't be coming.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

I am sorry I used the word "is" instead of "was."  I make no further apologies.

I accept your apology @Cyber Liberty

You already know your ignorant attitude about the illegals we face in AZ (And you don't) pisses me off.  Call me angry if you wish, but you'll never "get it" if you haven't by now.  Willfully ignorant people never do.

I know I offer hundreds of cherry picked, skewed, and out of context, examples designed to make Trump look bad that align with my agenda. 

I am in good company at this forum.

I believe Americans will be angry about asylum seekers baking in the hot sun of AZ, even though AZ voters condoned it for convicted criminals.  There were reasons why Joe Arpaio was rejected by voters for sheriff and Senator.  You know them better than me.  I live in WI.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I accept your apology @Cyber Liberty

I know I offer hundreds of cherry picked, skewed, and out of context, examples designed to make Trump look bad that align with my agenda. 

I believe Americans will be angry about asylum seekers baking in the hot sun of AZ, even though AZ voters condoned it for convicted criminals.  There were reasons why Joe Arpaio was rejected by voters for sheriff and Senator.  You know them better than me.  I live in WI.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Today is just grand.  Haven't had to pick off any varmints, and I have my first batch of visitors coming to visit my Castle tomorrow.  Life's good, thanks.  They are all from SoCal, and they are looking forward to an Easter weekend with no illegal marauders.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sanguine wrote (of Once-Ler):
"He says them because he knows they piss you off.  And, he's not just willifully ignorant; he comes on these threads to establish and express his moral superiority over all of us."

Why get in arguments with him?
Just put him on ignore, as I have done.
Ignore -- for ever more!

(and I NEVER "ping" anyone, ever. Nor do I ever look to see if anyone has "pinged" me. Not once!)

He says them because he knows they piss you off.  And, he's not just willifully ignorant; he comes on these threads to establish and express his moral superiority over all of us. 

@Sanguine It's pretty clear that no matter what I write, it is tainted be my past correspondence with you, but for what it is worth, I am not morally superior to you.  I'm just trying figure out a world that seems so different than the one I "knew" 4 years ago.

I enjoy reading your comments because I believe you are a person who questions "established facts."  I'm sad that you, @Cyber Liberty, and @Maj. Bill Martin seem at your wits end dealing with me.  I admire you all.  I think the fault must be mine.

I apologize.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Sanguine It's pretty clear that no matter what I write, it is tainted be my past correspondence with you, but for what it is worth, I am not morally superior to you.  I'm just trying figure out a world that seems so different than the one I "knew" 4 years ago.

I enjoy reading your comments because I believe you are a person who questions "established facts."  I'm sad that you, @Cyber Liberty, and @Maj. Bill Martin seem at your wits end dealing with me.  I admire you all.  I think the fault must be mine.

I apologize.

We're at wits end because we know you better than the BS you spew. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline corbe

@Once-Ler

Guilty as Charged, your Honor.

*We both have the added distinction of being on the @Fishrrman Ignore List, obviously you're a evil ba$tard also.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.