Author Topic: Democrats raise $75M so far, signaling a drawn-out fight  (Read 228 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Democrats raise $75M so far, signaling a drawn-out fight
« on: April 16, 2019, 12:03:54 pm »
Democrats raise $75M so far, signaling a drawn-out fight
MSN News, Apr 16, 2019, Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Democratic presidential candidates raised about $75 million during the first quarter of the 2020 election, a lackluster sum spread out across more than a dozen campaigns that signals a drawn-out battle likely lies ahead.

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders led the field by raising $18 million and California Sen. Kamala Harris came in second with $12 million. Former Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke came in third with $9.3 million, followed by South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, who capitalized on a flurry of publicity to raise $7 million.

The rest of the field of more than a dozen candidates raised $6 million or less apiece.

Fundraising figures submitted to the Federal Election Commission by Monday's reporting deadline show Democratic candidates not only lag behind President Donald Trump, who raised $30 million, but took in less than the party did during the same period in the 2008 election. That year eight candidates collectively raised over $80 million despite a maximum donation amount that was hundreds of dollars less than the current $2,800 cap.

There is no question that the numbers are not at the level that they were with Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton in 2008," said Tom Nides, a Clinton adviser and longtime fundraiser. "Am I worried? No, I'm not worried. But I'm a little bit concerned."

More:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/democrats-raise-dollar75m-so-far-signaling-a-drawn-out-fight/ar-BBVXKtz?ocid=spartanntp