General Category > Economy/Business

Alibaba founder defends overtime work culture as 'huge blessing': 12 hours a day, 6 days a week

(1/4) > >>

jmyrlefuller:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-tech-labour-idUSKCN1RO1BC

Alibaba Group founder and billionaire Jack Ma has defended the grueling overtime work culture at many of China’s tech companies, calling it a “huge blessing” for young workers.

The e-commerce magnate weighed into a debate about work-life balance and the overtime hours demanded by some companies as the sector slows after years of breakneck growth.

In a speech to Alibaba employees, Ma defended the industry’s ‘996’ work schedule, which refers to the 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. workday, six days a week.

(excerpt)

jmyrlefuller:
I have seen this here as well. People are either expected to work 20 hours or 60. The idea of the 40-hour work week, the idea of having any sort of life outside of work, or having a less profitable skill set and using a day job to support yourself, is dying.

rustynail:
" calling it a “huge blessing” ...for him.

jmyrlefuller:

--- Quote from: rustynail on April 15, 2019, 11:30:06 pm ---" calling it a “huge blessing” ...for him.

--- End quote ---
I suppose if you have no other interests in life except making money or you have that much of a passion for what you do, it's OK, but that shouldn't have to be the norm. Not all people want to live like that, or can live like that.

Heck, even young people can't live like that...but then again, this is Communist China, too. Officially atheist (no church to worry about), and two-child policy means there's little benefit to starting a family at a young age, allowing young folk to put off dating and marriage.

Applewood:
When I worked for lawyers, it was never 9-5.  During a trial, I would be working 7 days a week till the wee hours of the morning.  I'd go home, get maybe a couple of hours of sleep, then get  up, shower, dress and back to the office.  One particular trial -- I didn't go home at  all for 2 days.  Smelled rather ripe by the end of the second day.  LOL

But that sort of life is very unhealthy.  Constant work, lack of sleep, enormous stress, poor eating habits and no exercise -- sooner or later, it catches up to you.  It did for me. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version