Author Topic: Fire breaks out in historic Notre Dame cathedral in Paris- Breaking  (Read 16524 times)

Online mountaineer

Re: Fire breaks out in historic Notre Dame cathedral in Paris- Breaking
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2019, 12:03:17 am »
I was going through some photos from trips to Paris. There must be a rule that tourists get photos of themselves in front of the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame. Does anyone remember a poster at TOS by the name "Timeout"? We happened to be visiting Paris the same time she was there in 2002 (before my final banning from FR), so we met at Notre Dame, walked around for a while, and then had lunch together at a nearby restaurant. One of the photos is of Timeout and me with the cathedral in the background.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2019, 12:24:33 am »
Even as an evangelical Protestant, this is a kick in the gut.

Muslims better pray that they aren't responsible for it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2019, 12:33:57 am »
I was going through some photos from trips to Paris. There must be a rule that tourists get photos of themselves in front of the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame. Does anyone remember a poster at TOS by the name "Timeout"? We happened to be visiting Paris the same time she was there in 2002 (before my final banning from FR), so we met at Notre Dame, walked around for a while, and then had lunch together at a nearby restaurant. One of the photos is of Timeout and me with the cathedral in the background.  **nononono*

I didn't get a picture in front of either, but I do have one of me in front of the Castle Doune.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2019, 12:46:24 am »
Even as an evangelical Protestant, this is a kick in the gut.

Muslims better pray that they aren't responsible for it.

If they are, nothing will happen.  A few years in jail---maybe.  I'm seeing white Westerners celebrating the death of a symbol of white Western culture so we can start fresh without hate.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2019, 12:48:48 am »
There is hopeful precedent for Notre Dame's restoration.

I give you Dresden's Frauenkirche, 1957 . . .

. . . and the Frauenkirche today . . .

@EasyAce

That's...amazing.  Literally.

I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2019, 12:50:05 am »
There are really no words . . .

A blazing cross. 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2019, 01:12:55 am »
The Pope hasn't commented on the fire, for some reason.
Vatican Responds to Notre Dame Cathedral Fire
    By Erin Laviola   
    Updated Apr 15, 2019 at 7:58pm

Catholics around the world and witnesses in Paris watched in horror as the iconic and historical Notre Dame Cathedral burned during the evening of April 15, 2019. Officials said the towers were safe, but the spire collapsed and the roof caved in.

It remained to be seen how much of the original structure could be salvaged, or whether sacred relics inside had been destroyed.

Pope Francis has not yet personally commented on the devastation. But the Vatican early issued a statement that read in part, “The Holy See has seen with shock and sadness the news of the terrible fire that has devastated the Cathedral of Notre Dame, symbol of Christianity in France and in the world.” Alessandro Gisotti, the director of the Holy See Press Office, added that the Vatican was praying for the firefighters and expressed “closeness with the French Catholics and with the Parisian population.” ...
Heavy
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2019, 01:13:51 am »
I'm seeing two things that caused the fire:

1. It was arson
2. It was an accident.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kidd

« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2019, 01:40:28 am »
Have they blamed Trump yet?
Sort of.
ABC Nightly News made a big deal out of a suggestion that Trump twittered.
Trump tweeted that France ought to get a bucket of water from a helicopter, like they do with forest fires.
Then ABC brought in an expert to note that water is very heavy and dropping the water on the fire would likely cause the walls to collapse.

Fine. That's an appropriate bit of journalism. If it ended there.

But then ABC flashed the tweet again. All in bold. Then repeated the expert's testimony. Then Trump's tweet again.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2019, 01:44:11 am »
If they are, nothing will happen.  A few years in jail---maybe.  I'm seeing white Westerners celebrating the death of a symbol of white Western culture so we can start fresh without hate.

I don't know. The French are weird. They will surrender at most things, but some things will set them off and they will attempt to eradicate you.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2019, 02:48:15 am »
By Alexia Hernandez
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/salma-hayek-apos-husband-fran-002302536.html

Salma Hayek‘s husband François-Henri Pinault has pledged €100 million (over US$113 million) to help rebuild the fallen Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.

In a statement obtained by French newspaper Le Figaro, Pinault, 56, said, “My father (François Pinault) and myself have decided to unblock a sum of 100 million euros from our Artemis funds (the family holding company) to participate in the effort that will be necessary for the complete reconstruction of Notre-Dame.”

Pinault’s donation is the first major one announced. Through Kering, an international luxury group, his family owns and controls a number of businesses including Gucci, Alexander McQueen, Stella McCartney, Saint Laurent and Balenciaga.

The elder Pinault, who is 82, is worth an estimated $37.3 billion, according to Bloomberg’s “Billionaires Index“.

Hayek, 52, shared an image of the burning cathedral on Instagram, writing in the caption, “As many others I’m in deep shock and sadness to witness the beauty of Notre-Dame turn into smoke. I love you Paris. Comme beaucoup d’autres, c’est avec effroi et tristesse que je regarde la beauté de Norte-Dame partir en fumée… Paris, je t’aime ! #notredame #paris.”

The Oscar-nominated actress and the businessman have a residence near the cathedral and were married in Paris on February 14, 2009, at the City Hall of the Sixth Arrondissement, which is less than a mile away from the historic church . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2019, 03:15:23 am »
We will set up a topic sticky for the time being.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2019, 03:18:35 am »
BREAKING: AMAZING: Interior of the Notre Dame Cathedral still pretty much in tact. Pulpit, part of the Alter still in tact. Cross still standing: #NotreDame

https://twitter.com/BreakingNLive/status/1117922854715236352

The first reports said it would be the worse, total destruction. Well, it's pretty bad, however it is. I can't judge it. More photos at link.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2019, 03:59:35 am »
That's one possibility (see my story above about the spate of arson and vandalism at Catholic churches in France)*. Or it may have been accidental, relating to renovations. Considering the violent turn of the yellow vest protests, I wouldn't entirely rule out the leftist fringe of that movement (though that may be very unlikely).

*Also this:More from the Express (U.K.)
PUBLISHED: 17:31, Wed, Mar 20, 2019 | UPDATED: 19:36, Mon, Apr 15, 2019

@mountaineer

This is to be expected once a nation allows enough Muslims in to where they reach the point they obtain political power. It has happened everywhere masses of Muslims have been allowed to enter,and it is only a matter of time before it happens in America.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2019, 04:00:38 am »
France24 reporting the fire started just five minutes after the cathedral was closed for the day.

@mountaineer

Translation,a worker started the fire just before he left work.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2019, 04:02:44 am »
850 bleep years old, twice the age of our country, gone in a few hours.

Of course, Trump the firefighting expert had to open his big yapper on the subject.

Sigh...

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

<This is not the thread for this>
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:24:28 pm by MOD4 »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2019, 04:24:50 am »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Drinking again, Pete?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:24:50 pm by MOD4 »

Offline Absalom

« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2019, 05:20:02 am »
850 bleep years old, twice the age of our country, gone in a few hours.
Of course, Trump the firefighting expert had to open his big yapper on the subject.
Sigh...
-----------------------------------
On the mark, as ground was broken in 1163
and Notre-Dame is 4X older than we are.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2019, 05:28:16 am »
Latest news.

In English, France 24:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

AFP Updates:

https://www.afp.com/en/news/15/macron-vows-rebuild-notre-dame-after-devastating-fire-doc-1fo2eb5

A rebuild of the parts damaged,  the landmark may be off limits for 15 years for visits.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:29:35 am by TomSea »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2019, 07:11:59 am »
Well, actually, according to some fire experts, Trump's proposal was not feasible.  I agree with @Weird Tolkienish Figure   Trump is once again nattering about a subject he knows nothing about.
His basic idea of getting a lot of water on the fire fast isn't so bad, really.
Problem is, that the stone might not handle either the thermal shock of massive amounts of cold water dumped on it, nor the weight.
If you look at the aerial shots of the fire, it appears the wooden roof portion is burning and collapsed onto the stone interior roof/ceiling. That makes access difficult, but dumping water on it from above in mass quantities could do even more devastating damage. From the interior shots, one portion of the ceiling collapsed, the darker area in the aerial shots, but otherwise, getting water on the burning roof materials has to be done from the aerial towers and monitor nozzles that can be deployed to put water over the walls, and carefully, to keep from overloading the structure with water weight (at 8.35 pounds per gallon).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2019, 07:16:13 am »
She also played Esmeralda in a TV Movie version or The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2019, 09:05:59 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline thackney

« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2019, 12:12:16 pm »
Billionaire Arnault's family and LVMH to donate 200 mln euros for Paris' Notre-Dame
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-notredame-arnault/billionaire-arnaults-family-and-lvmh-to-donate-200-mln-euros-for-paris-notre-dame-idUSKCN1RS0H8

French billionaire businessman Bernard Arnault’s family and his LVMH luxury goods group will donate 200 million euros ($226 million) to help repair Paris’ Notre-Dame cathedral, said a statement issued on behalf of Arnault.

“The Arnault family and the LVMH group would like to show their solidarity ata this time of national tragedy, and are joining up to help rebuild this extraordinary cathedral, which is a symbol of France, of its heritage and of French unity,” said the statement....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2019, 12:17:57 pm »
I've been in love with Salma Hayek since she caused that traffic accident in 'Desperado'.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2019, 12:44:49 pm »
I’m so happy they are rebuilding. I hope I can see it again in my lifetime
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️