Author Topic: Fire breaks out in historic Notre Dame cathedral in Paris- Breaking  (Read 16647 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Fire breaks out in historic Notre Dame cathedral in Paris- Breaking
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2019, 07:20:40 pm »
As long as they don't rebuild the church featuring Darth Vader gargoyles over the central portal, as does our National Cathedral.

Oh.  You weren't kidding.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2019, 07:24:09 pm »
Predictably when disaster strikes, the hustlers rush
the stage where paranoia always trumps reflection.
Hmm, so the Muslims did it, did they. We'll see!
Actually I think those Space Aliens from Planet Uterus
are culprits; more so than 900 year old bone dry Oak!!!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2019, 07:25:53 pm »

I attended easter services there a few years back & couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Fun, but a little too trivial and beneath the dignity of the place IMO.

Offline thackney

« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2019, 07:49:51 pm »
----------------------------------------
The land may belong to the City but the Cathedral is controlled
by the Archdiocese of Paris headed by Michel Cardinal Aupetit,
who is the decider.

The land and buildings belong to the state.  They gave the Catholic Church exclusive rights to operate it. 

Like all cathedrals in France, Notre-Dame is the property of the state, although its operation as a religious institution is left entirely to the Roman Catholic Church.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Paris/Climate#ref364836
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 07:51:25 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2019, 07:57:27 pm »

I find your flock of pigeons.... disturbing.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2019, 08:06:28 pm »
I find your flock of pigeons.... disturbing.

Are you sure those are pigeons?

Offline Absalom

« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2019, 08:13:21 pm »
The land and buildings belong to the state.  They gave the Catholic Church exclusive rights to operate it. 

https://www.britannica.com/place/Paris/Climate#ref364836
-----------------------------
The poster's query was, "Does the Catholic Church
have any say(control) not who owns it!!!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2019, 08:16:21 pm »
Uhhh,I don't know who Ian Millhiser is or where he lives,but people who live in the area where I live have known about fire for a long,LONG time now.
@sneakypete
 He's a leftist. That's why something that fundamental is beyond his comprehension.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2019, 08:21:47 pm »
-----------------------------
The poster's query was, "Does the Catholic Church
have any say(control) not who owns it!!!

The Church does not control the building.  The state was responsible for the past repairs, with lots of donations including from members of the Church.

The Church controls the operations of the building as a religious facility.

Online berdie

« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2019, 08:45:20 pm »
Update: No sign of arson, likely worker accident.
http://news.trust.org/item/20190416123058-ee2q1

The first alarm was triggered 20ish minutes before the fire was detected.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/paris-notre-dame-fire-extinguished-revealing-massive-damage-to-the-800-year-old-landmark-situation-still-precarious

While I don't have any other information and this is all speculation, I wonder if it was something electrical that created smoke, when they checked for fire, they saw none but it was spreading behind a wall or something.  Someone may have dropped the ball not looking hard enough for what triggered the first alarm.

As for what I think (and that's not worth much) the Religion of Peace loves to brag.  There has been no "rub it in your face" claim.

I think some poor worker made a mistake.  There is no way someone would come out and admit to burning Notre Dame.

I just hate that it happened.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2019, 08:55:26 pm »
Perhaps, candles that would be expected to melt did not.  A secular network reports that.  We will see.

We'll see how this story goes.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2019, 08:57:24 pm »

As for what I think (and that's not worth much) the Religion of Peace loves to brag.  There has been no "rub it in your face" claim.

I think some poor worker made a mistake.  There is no way someone would come out and admit to burning Notre Dame.

I just hate that it happened.

@berdie

IF no one has claimed responsibility/bragged about setting the fire by tomorrow,I would tend to agree with you. The only reason I hesitate even though your premise is true is that the French control their media to the point where even if someone has claimed responsibility for setting the fire,it wouldn't be reported.

Even the leftist French can't keep it quiet beyond a day or two,though. Within a day or two the word would get out. This is just too big to keep hidden.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2019, 09:13:59 pm »
@berdie

IF no one has claimed responsibility/bragged about setting the fire by tomorrow,I would tend to agree with you. The only reason I hesitate even though your premise is true is that the French control their media to the point where even if someone has claimed responsibility for setting the fire,it wouldn't be reported.

Even the leftist French can't keep it quiet beyond a day or two,though. Within a day or two the word would get out. This is just too big to keep hidden.

If true,  :laugh: , the piece where they claimed an alarm was sent out 23 minutes BEFORE any fire was detected...it suggests arson.

"But, But, But....., it was just an accident!!" 

STFU!   It's Holy Week!  Easter!  The Resurrection!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2019, 10:50:02 pm »
mountaineer, that was an excellent piece in reply 108.
I'll repeat the url in case anyone missed it:
https://thebridgehead.ca/2019/04/16/notre-dames-burning-spires-force-us-all-to-face-the-truth-about-the-west/

Offline musiclady

« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2019, 11:04:16 pm »
@musiclady

Yes,but at this point no one knows how many of the stones that support it were cracked by the heat and the water. It's going to take a while to determine it's present condition.

I would guess it will take a very long time to determine that.

But I did expect it to look worse than it does, and that gives me some hope that they may be able to rebuild it.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2019, 11:12:53 pm »
I would guess it will take a very long time to determine that.

But I did expect it to look worse than it does, and that gives me some hope that they may be able to rebuild it.

It will take over one hundred years to put it back the way it was.   Let's get started.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2019, 11:25:33 pm »
It will take over one hundred years to put it back the way it was.   Let's get started.

Just to be clear........... it will NEVER be the way it was.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2019, 01:06:35 am »
Mark Steyn:
...  There is an architectural debate to be had, I suppose, about whether a reconstructed twelfth-century cathedral requires nineteeth-century appurtenances such as its spire. But the minute that starts you risk some insecure dweeb like Macron, on whose watch the thing went up in smoke, getting fanciful ideas about bequeathing to posterity some I M Pei pyramid on the top of the roof. France's revolution, unlike America's, was aggressively secular, and it ultimately found expression in the 1905 law on the separation of churches and the state. Since then the French state has owned the cathedral, and thus it will be Macron who ultimately decides what arises in its place.

Beyond that are the larger questions: When the iconic house of worship at the heart of French Christianity decides to mark Holy Week by going up in flames, it's too obviously symbolic of something ...but of what exactly? Two thousand churches have been vandalized in the last two years: Valérie Boyer, who represents Bouches-du-Rhône in the National Assembly, said earlier this month that "every day at least two churches are profaned" - by which she means arson, smashed statutes of Jesus and Mary, and protestors who leave human fecal matter in the shape of a cross. This is a fact of life in modern France.

As it is, there is no shortage of excitable young Mohammedans gleefully celebrating on social media. In 2017 some inept hammer-wielding nutter yelling "Allahu Akbar!" had a crack at Notre Dame, and a couple of years before that the historian Dominique Venner blew his brains out on the altar to protest same-sex marriage. I love France but, in recent years, it's hard not to pick up on the sense that it's coming apart - and that, when the center cannot hold, the things at that center, the obsolete embodiments of a once cohesive society, are a natural target.   ...
More
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2019, 01:24:40 am »
Mark Steyn:More

I love France but, in recent years, it's hard not to pick up on the sense that it's coming apart - and that, when the center cannot hold, the things at that center, the obsolete embodiments of a once cohesive society, are a natural target.   ..

@mountaineer

There is nothing unique about France. The whole damn world is coming apart,thanks to the globalist fascist bankers and their agents.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2019, 05:45:42 am »
Hope.

Smoke is seen around the alter inside Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, Monday, April 15, 2019. The golden altar cross could be seen glowing as firefighters made their way in. (Philippe Wojazer/Pool via AP)
Just a quiet remindr that no matter how bleak things seem, He is still in charge.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2019, 11:41:12 am »
Just to be clear........... it will NEVER be the way it was.
Notre-Dame fire: Macron says new cathedral will be 'more beautiful'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47957400

It'll be BETTER than before.

Offline thackney

« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2019, 11:43:21 am »
France announces an architects’ competition to rebuild the spire of Notre Dame Cathedral
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/17/france-announces-an-architects-competition-to-rebuild-the-spire-of-notre-dame-cathedral.html

The French prime minister has announced an international architects’ competition to rebuild the spire of Notre Dame Cathedral.

Edouard Philippe is speaking following a special Cabinet meeting Wednesday focusing held by French President Emmanuel Macron on the reconstruction of Notre Dame Cathedral.

Philippe said the competition aims at “giving Notre Dame a spire adapted to techniques and challenges of our times.”

He said authorities have no estimation yet of the total cost of the renovation work. Macron said Tuesday he wants the cathedral to be rebuilt by five years.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2019, 11:43:59 am »
Notre-Dame: The story of the fire in graphics and images

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47947425

Offline thackney

« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2019, 11:49:34 am »
...r a reconstructed twelfth-century cathedral requires nineteeth-century appurtenances such as its spire....

While true the spire was rebuilt in the 19th century, the original spire was built in the 13th.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2019, 11:57:26 am »
Notre-Dame: Cathedral 'will be closed for 5-6 years' following fire, bishop says
https://news.sky.com/story/notre-dame-french-pm-edouard-philippe-launches-competition-to-rebuild-spire-11696129

A lot sooner than a previous estimate I saw. All of these are early reports. So, we know how construction can be.

5-6 years, really wouldn't be any time at all, if this held up.