Author Topic: Mom says she and 'giggling' son with special needs were asked to leave movie theater for 'disruptive  (Read 931 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Mom says she and 'giggling' son with special needs were asked to leave movie theater for 'disruptive behavior'

Yahoo Lifestyle
April 15, 2019

An Illinois mother was in tears after she was kicked out of a movie theater following complaints that her disabled son was making too much noise.

Jennifer Daly posted on Facebook after taking her two sons to see Dumbo Friday night at AMC Lake in the Hills in a suburb of Chicago.

One of her sons, Jonathan, has a rare form of dwarfism and Daly said it is a struggle to get him out for an excursion...

The mother said that, during the film, her 3-year-old son giggled twice “no longer than 20 seconds each.” But about 10 minutes later, a staff member told her somebody had complained about a crying baby.

“I looked at her and said he did not cry, he giggled twice,” the shocked mother wrote. “I was told I immediately have to pack up to leave.” ...

More, with video clip

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
So, who's side are you on?

Offline QueenCatofAragon

So, who's side are you on?

I’m taking AMC’s side.  I have all the compassion in the world for that poor little boy, but I don’t buy being kicked out for a few seconds of giggling.  Especially when the theater is very specific and adamant about their side of the story.  I understand a mom wanting her kids to see the movie, but everyone else paid to see it, too. 

Notice that she refuses the offer of a private screening?  She’s more interested in public sympathy.  The impulse to run to social media for vindication with every little offense irritates the crap out of me.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I’m taking AMC’s side.  I have all the compassion in the world for that poor little boy, but I don’t buy being kicked out for a few seconds of giggling.  Especially when the theater is very specific and adamant about their side of the story.  I understand a mom wanting her kids to see the movie, but everyone else paid to see it, too. 

Notice that she refuses the offer of a private screening?  She’s more interested in public sympathy.  The impulse to run to social media for vindication with every little offense irritates the crap out of me.

I agree with Catherine.  Just not credible that they kicked him out for a few giggles.  And, she's not doing him any favors by not teaching him how to be in public.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
He wasn't kicked out for a few giggles. He was probably trying to out-volume the sound system.
Countdown to Resignation