Author Topic: Sen. Graham Plans to Introduce Bill That Will Stop the Immigration 'Madness'  (Read 723 times)

rangerrebew

Sen. Graham Plans to Introduce Bill That Will Stop the Immigration 'Madness'

(CNSNews.com) - Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) says he's tired of talking about the immigration problem. "I want to fix it," he told "Sunday Morning Futures" with Maria Bartiromo.

He said he is now working with the White House on legislation intended to "stop this madness."

"The president has correctly identified the crisis at the border. Now it's time to have a legislative solution. You need to change our laws for this to stop," Graham said:

Source URL: https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/sen-graham-plans-introduce-bill-will-stop-immigration-madness

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
No chance of passage.
Nada.

Offline libertybele

Sen. Graham Plans to Introduce Bill That Will Stop the Immigration 'Madness'

....." I will be introducing a package, and, hopefully, with Democratic support, that will change our asylum laws. Ninety percent of the people who apply for asylum never make it, so the standard needs to change. We have a court decision called the Flores decision that says you can only hold a minor child 20 days.

If a family comes here with a minor child, we release the entire family after 20 days, because we don't have bed space. So we need to change that decision. And also we have a quirk in our law that if you're from Central America, you cannot be sent back home as a minor child because of a law on the books that prohibits sending children back from noncontiguous countries.

So the only place we can send a child back to is Mexico and Canada. We need to be sending these kids back to Central America, where they come from. So I'm going to put a legislative package together right after the break. We're going to mark it up in the Judiciary Committee and we're going to get on with solving this problem.

Voting on a bill with put everyone on record, Graham said, but he added, "I hope we do more than just vote. I hope we solve the problem."

He has three goals in mind:...........

The first part of Graham's plan deals with asylum.

He noted that the United States is part of an international treaty that offers asylum to people "when they're under threat of life and limb." But under that treaty, migrants are supposed to apply for asylum in the first safe country they reach, which would be Mexico, in the case of Central American migrants...........

.............Number two, Graham said the Flores legal decision needs to change:

"It's impossible to do a hearing in 20 days. So, we're going to try to change the time you can hold an unaccompanied minor or a minor child beyond 20 days, because if you come up with a family, and you have got minor kids in the family, we release the whole family in 20 days, because you don't want to separate families. So we need to fix the Flores decision.

"And, finally, there's a quirk in the law that if you're from Central America as a minor child, we can't send you back. We need to change that law, so we can send them back to Central America, where they came from."..............

.............."We need troops at the border. We need a wall. But there's no way you're going to stop the flow from Central America until you change our laws. And these laws are insane. We need to change them."........

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/sen-graham-plans-introduce-bill-will-stop-immigration-madness
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

I just don't trust this Dude.

But I barely Trust Lee and Cruz anymore.
   Sad in that I have no Heros left.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

We need troops at the border. We need a wall. But there's no way you're going to stop the flow from Central America until you change our laws. And these laws are insane.

This is counter to everything border patriots have said for 25 years.  They said "Just enforce the laws already on the books."  Now the border patriots have elected a President anxious to enforce the border and build a wall and we find out that ain't enough.

Good luck passing anything through the House now.

Offline rustynail

Won't pass the House.

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Article or story already posted twice in the immigration forum. I'm not a one forum poster.

@Once-Ler

Offline corbe

Where There's a Willie

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Article or story already posted twice in the immigration forum. I'm not a one forum poster.

@Once-Ler
Thanx for pointing that out @TomSea .  Maybe I'm a slower than average reader and writer, but I barely have time to indulge in Politics.  I haven't hit the scandal forum in weeks.  Not much happening on either article I see.

Offline corbe

I'd certainly REPORT the Duplicate Threads if I wasn't so one dimensional.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Correct me if I am wrong but that law is already on the books.  Immigrants seeking asylum are supposed to do it in the first safe country.  That alone would stop the asylum seekers coming from Mexico.

8 U.S. Code § 1158.Asylum
U.S. Code
Notes

prev | next
(a)Authority to apply for asylum

(1)In general

Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.

(2)Exceptions

(A)Safe third country

Paragraph (1) shall not apply to an alien if the Attorney General determines that the alien may be removed, pursuant to a bilateral or multilateral agreement, to a country (other than the country of the alien’s nationality or, in the case of an alien having no nationality, the country of the alien’s last habitual residence) in which the alien’s life or freedom would not be threatened on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion, and where the alien would have access to a full and fair procedure for determining a claim to asylum or equivalent temporary protection, unless the Attorney General finds that it is in the public interest for the alien to receive asylum in the United States.

(B)Time limit

Subject to subparagraph (D), paragraph (1) shall not apply to an alien unless the alien demonstrates by clear and convincing evidence that the application has been filed within 1 year after the date of the alien’s arrival in the United States
(C)Previous asylum applications

Subject to subparagraph (D), paragraph (1) shall not apply to an alien if the alien has previously applied for asylum and had such application denied.

(D)Changed circumstances

An application for asylum of an alien may be considered, notwithstanding subparagraphs (B) and (C), if the alien demonstrates to the satisfaction of the Attorney General either the existence of changed circumstances which materially affect the applicant’s eligibility for asylum or extraordinary circumstances relating to the delay in filing an application within the period
specified in subparagraph (B).

(E)Applicability

Subparagraphs (A) and (B) shall not apply to an unaccompanied alien child (as defined in section 279(g) of title 6).
(3)Limitation on judicial review
No court shall have jurisdiction to review any determination of the Attorney General under paragraph (2).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1158

So Trump and the AG William Barr need to get busy making this happen.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:41:45 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline bilo

He said he is now working with the White House on legislation intended to "stop this madness."

Where were the Pubs when they had the House?
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline corbe

Wet Foot, Dry Foot or even Blistered Foot from walking 2000 miles, they should never be allowed to step foot in our Country and say 'Asylum'.
   This whole thing is beyond ridiculous and smells like political opportunity to me, at this point.
   We're being played for the Greater Good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
   Wet Foot, Dry Foot or even Blistered Foot from walking 2000 miles, they should never be allowed to step foot in our Country and say 'Asylum'.
   This whole thing is beyond ridiculous and smells like political opportunity to me, at this point.
   We're being played for the Greater Good.

We are being played.  I can't agree for the greater good unless you need cheap labor.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline corbe

The last 'Good' thing the House did was forcing John Boehner from Office and we know who had a lot to do with that.

*  Interesting artifact from the past He loved a Good Tan, also.

Offline corbe

I should have put 'Greater Good' in quotes @Chosen Daughter

My bad
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:50:34 am by corbe »

I should have put 'Greater Good' in quotes @Chosen Daughter

My bad
@corbe
If only the President had the power to thwart the Chamber of Commerce.  I agree we are being played I just think somebody else is making this issue worse to foment political support.  The mantra for 25 years was enforce the laws on the books to fix illegal immigration.  That lie is no longer viable after 2 years of Trump, but now that the GOP has lost the House, legislation is require.  We all know that won't happen, but republicans can take solace that the good guys are looking out for them, if not on this issue, on bringing Hitlery to justice, eliminating the National debt, an end to Obamacare, and draining the swamp.

Offline Mod1

Merged two threads citing same news article.