Author Topic: Twitter isn't news  (Read 634 times)

Online corbe

Twitter isn't news
« on: April 15, 2019, 02:30:12 am »
Twitter isn't news

by Annie Brown
April 14, 2019 09:24 PM

Earlier this year, news outlets and journalists alike immediately pounced on a viral video from Twitter that showed several Covington Catholic High School students on the National Mall. According to the initial narrative, they were harassing an older Native American demonstrator.

By the time a full hour-and-a-half long video was released clearing the names of the students involved, the internet had already circulated the shorter video, making the world believe, if only briefly, that those kids with their "Make America Great Again" hats were racists, bigots, and bullies.

According to a study from the American Press Institute, “9 in 10 Twitter users, or 86%, say they use Twitter for news.” In 2015, Twitter founder Jack Dorsey tweeted his thanks to journalists for making Twitter a news site: “Journalists were a big part of why we grew so quickly and still a big reason why people use Twitter: news. It's a natural fit.”

And yes, Twitter has proven to be revolutionary for news consumption. Yet, as tempting as it is to treat it as a true crowd-sourced news-gathering organization, it is far from that. And it isn't getting any closer, either.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/op-eds/twitter-isnt-news
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Re: Twitter isn't news
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 02:31:19 am »
   What is a poor boy to do, I mean Sarah Huckabee Sanders is not exactly news either, most of the time.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 02:40:27 am »
Twitter is a sewer.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 02:47:11 am »
People plug their causes on twitter and that's not a bad way to find out breaking news. You're into RKBA, you get on the NRA twitter or some 2nd amendment proponent. He/She posts relevant stories on their twitter.  They are often linked to a real news source, let's say the Associate Press, AP. I don't see anything wrong with that.  Twitter has it's niches, you might be interested in anything really.  You're getting news from twitter... but it has real sources.

Sure, as far as that goes, there's propaganda in some places.  That's what you have to steer away from.

It's when it is true fake news, that there is a problem.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 03:05:07 am »
Security Risk.
It is clear that the biggest Security Risk in America is no longer Russia or China.
The biggest Security Risk in America is now the U.S. Government itself.
The biggest Security Risk in America is the current Democrat Party.

Israel should tell them nothing at all. Nor should anyone else.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:06:06 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 03:13:04 am »
People plug their causes on twitter and that's not a bad way to find out breaking news. You're into RKBA, you get on the NRA twitter or some 2nd amendment proponent. He/She posts relevant stories on their twitter.  They are often linked to a real news source, let's say the Associate Press, AP. I don't see anything wrong with that.  Twitter has it's niches, you might be interested in anything really.  You're getting news from twitter... but it has real sources.

Sure, as far as that goes, there's propaganda in some places.  That's what you have to steer away from.

It's when it is true fake news, that there is a problem.

TBR has an account on Twitter.  Most topics posted here are fed to the Twitter page (@Briefing__room).  Note:  There are two understrikes between "Briefing" and "room."  It's why we get a lot of hits from Guests.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:18:17 pm »
This is like saying a typewriter isn't news.  Agreed, it's not.  It's something used to type, but what is typed depends on the person typing.

Twitter is a place where people type stuff and put it out there in real time. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 01:45:32 pm »
Twitter is a cesspool of mass hate and cyberbullying interspersed with some valuable news tidbits. It's at its best when it aggregates news from other platforms and puts it in front of the user's face.

It's at its worst when progressives and boy-band marketers use it to create the illusion of grassroots support.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 05:04:55 pm »
It is news, though.  You just have to pick your sources and wait a little to see if new stories are confirmed, or if they’re partisan hackery.  Practically all news sites have a presence there; you’re getting the same information whether you visit them online or go to their feed.

Yeah, it’s true, parts of Twitter are a sewer, but you can make it what you want.  If you want to discuss a favorite TV show, you can usually do it without the negative influences.  I have daily quotes from Washington and Shakespeare on my timeline.

I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 05:11:03 pm »
It is news, though.  You just have to pick your sources and wait a little to see if new stories are confirmed, or if they’re partisan hackery.  Practically all news sites have a presence there; you’re getting the same information whether you visit them online or go to their feed.

Yeah, it’s true, parts of Twitter are a sewer, but you can make it what you want.  If you want to discuss a favorite TV show, you can usually do it without the negative influences.  I have daily quotes from Washington and Shakespeare on my timeline.

:thumbsup:

Those who like sports, Virginia Cavaliers or any NFL team... it's easy to find others who share one's interest.

I appreciate some of the breaking news twitter accounts, you want to confirm it first, if one can but they do fairly well. This one I follow, I'm not sure if they'll be able to hold out in the long run but they are helpful.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 05:12:35 pm »
Twitter in and of itself is not news, no, but it can be used to access the news.  You just have to use your discernment, just like everywhere else.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 07:18:47 pm »
:thumbsup:

Those who like sports, Virginia Cavaliers or any NFL team... it's easy to find others who share one's interest.

I appreciate some of the breaking news twitter accounts, you want to confirm it first, if one can but they do fairly well. This one I follow, I'm not sure if they'll be able to hold out in the long run but they are helpful.

@TomSea

Yes, agreed.  Also I tend to not bother with Twitter’s own trending news.  It usually has a very leftist bent.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 07:39:33 pm »
Twitter is a sewer.

As someone who posts there often, it absolutely is. it's loaded with shrieking leftists and bullies (but I repeat myself). The corporate structure is entirely leftists and if you're accused of wrongthink your account gets deleted.

If Twitter bans my account I'm not coming back.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 07:56:28 pm »
Twitter is the medium, not the message. Of course, Twitter can - and does - make sure that certain messages don't get heard.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 12:07:37 am »
All I know about "twitter" is what I read here...