Author Topic: Finland election: Tough coalition talks after split poll  (Read 346 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Finland election: Tough coalition talks after split poll
« on: April 15, 2019, 01:46:58 am »
Finland election: Tough coalition talks after split poll
    15 April 2019

The Social Democratic Party has won a narrow victory in Finland's general election with 17.7% of the vote.

But the far-right Finns Party was close behind on 17.5%, while the Centre Party of outgoing PM Juha Sipila saw its support crash by a third to 13.8%.

"For the first time since 1999 we are the largest party in Finland," said SDP leader Antti Rinne.

But with the vote split and no party winning by clear margin, it may be hard for him to build a workable coalition.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47893264

The article says this is the anti-open-immigration party. So, it sounds like they did relatively well.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Finland election: Tough coalition talks after split poll
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 02:57:36 am »
The article says this is the anti-open-immigration party. So, it sounds like they did relatively well.

That would be good. Linguistically Finnish is close to Hungarian and Estonian. However there is a Swedish speaking minority in Finland (andvice versa).

Per Capita Finland excells in turning out race car drivers; and killling Russians.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Finland election: Tough coalition talks after split poll
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 09:57:19 am »
Yes, I've heard before Hungarian is related to Finnish. I think I've heard even more. Maybe related to languages in India. This all rings a bell but I'd have to look this up.