Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg officially announces 2020 presidential bid  (Read 6501 times)

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Pete Buttigieg officially announces 2020 presidential bid
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 06:43:53 pm »
Pete "All Lives matter" Buttigieg demoted a black police chief. That's a really bad optic.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 09:46:58 pm »
@Victoria33 is right -  Buttigieg has the potential to be a very formidable candidate.   His views are progressive, but his tone is moderate and his message inclusive.   He is in stark contrast to the rest of the announced Dem candidates, who are cartoons all.   He is already polling third in New Hampshire and Iowa,  behind only the two old guys.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:48:10 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 10:16:06 pm »
@Victoria33 is right -  Buttigieg has the potential to be a very formidable candidate.   His views are progressive, but his tone is moderate and his message inclusive.   He is in stark contrast to the rest of the announced Dem candidates, who are cartoons all.   He is already polling third in New Hampshire and Iowa,  behind only the two old guys.
@Jazzhead

Thanks, Jazzhead. You are evaluating facts, not getting stuck in the mud by defending another candidate, come hell or high water.  Pete's smarts, proven by his record, should allow him to shine in a debate. His speech manner is very good, calmly explaining what he believes.  No Dem will say anything about his mate choice - remains to be seen if Trump does.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 12:28:15 am »
Think it's possible that Buttgigger could catch fire and be in the top tier of the pack, possibly even stealing votes from Biden and Bernie.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 12:28:37 am »
I would not vote for ANY openly homosexual politician, Republican or otherwise. Male or female, makes no difference.

Won't be gettin' any love from me!

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 12:35:16 am »
Mayor Pete does not get to first base.  American courts may well debase the act of marriage, and recognize the LGBQT community as a discriminated entity, but the vast majority of American voters will not elect someone from those ranks to be POTUS.  Mayor of a small city is one thing, POTUS is another.  Not going to happen in my lifetime, you can count on it.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 03:44:53 am »
@TomSea
You said, "I hate mentioning divisive things but you actually force others into it by being derisive of the president."

This post is about Pete B and his accomplishments - how those could cause him to move up in the Democrat poll of candidates, and it compares his qualities with Trump in that Trump couldn't dump on him about various subjects where Pete has more credibility.  These are facts, just facts.  My opinion of Trump is not here.

Some more facts, North Korea has not fired off missiles in a year.  Again, thank Trump's predecessors for that.  That's talking about nuclear war. If you want to say Pete Buttigieg's accomplishments are bigger than that. Have at it.

Experts Blame Obama for North Korea's New Nukes

Usually, smart political observers ignore opposing presidential candidates clamoring to blame the sitting president for an international crisis. This time, however, it's not mere partisanship.
Tim Mak    01.10.16 12:15 AM ET

https://www.thedailybeast.com/experts-blame-obama-for-north-koreas-new-nukes

North Korea: How Obama, Bush, Clinton dealt with the rogue nation
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sd-north-korea-obama-past-presidents-20170810-htmlstory.html

Coming in and salvaging the Iraq war, which spiraled out of control producing terrorists like we could not imagine.

Iran Nuke Deal is another thing.

But Pete's accomplishments in speaking 5 languages or playing piano are greater accomplishments. Got it.  A bigger accomplishment than giving blacks and all time low rate of unemployment is another one.

And the guy is an abortion nut, probably backing up the Democrats late term abortion forays, some say even infanticide. Got it.

You hate Trump so much, you want to be blind to the truth.  Well, he didn't put Christians in a lurch like ya'll's Texas governor and that is pretty easy to find as true with any research.

@Victoria33

I'm done.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2019, 03:56:24 am »
@Victoria33  is not expressing hatred of Trump.  She is pointing out that Pete Buttgeig is a rival to be taken seriously.   He is expressing a unique perspective, at least so far, in this race -  he is speaking of reconciliation, and the bridging of differences, in the context of shared values.   I feel that if I were to speak to him,  he'd listen to me.   Not that I'd persuade him- no doubt he's a progressive and a partisan - but there could be a dialogue.   Not like a hardcase like Kamala Harris.    She wants to kill me and my kind.    She's a tribalist,  same as Trump.  Buttigieg will catch more flies with honey.   And that is why he is the Dem candidates that some of us recognize may pose the biggest threat to Trump 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 03:58:55 am by Jazzhead »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2019, 04:01:43 am »
He has done nothing, he's running as a homosexual; as an oppressed minority. He hasn't prevented potential nuclear war like Trump has, he hasn't stopped the persecution of Christians like Trump has, in general statements. The guy is in an infertile relationship, can't produce babies but other abortion nuts will talk him up.

JH probably doesn't like Trump because he's big with Evangelicals whom he apparently despises.

Compared to mayors, Columbia South Carolina, Peoria Illinois, Tyler Texas... I doubt if he has distinguished himself.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 04:09:27 am »
"I think there's a feeling here that it's disingenuous to pretend that one person had solely to do with any of the progress made here in South Bend," Critchlow said. "I think there's been literally decades of public servants that have gotten us to where we are today."

And it's still far from a complete turnaround. More than a quarter of the population still lives at or below the poverty line, compared to the national average of around 14 percent.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/14/712412977/pete-buttigieg-helped-transform-south-bend-as-mayor-but-some-feel-left-out

And Bernie has cracked open a lead in the polls for the Dems.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2019, 06:25:30 am »
I would not vote for ANY openly homosexual politician, Republican or otherwise. Male or female, makes no difference.

Won't be gettin' any love from me!
Same here. I get the distinct impression they'd be representing (first, last, always, and disproportionately) that 1-2% at the expense of everyone else.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2019, 02:24:22 pm »
@Fishrman said, "would not vote for ANY openly homosexual politician, Republican or otherwise. Male or female, makes no difference.  Won't be gettin' any love from me!
@Smokin Joe said, "Same here. I get the distinct impression they'd be representing (first, last, always, and disproportionately) that 1-2% at the expense of everyone else.
@Cyber Liberty
@TomSea

Certainly/hopefully none here would vote for Pete B.  He would base his govn./our govn. in these United States on homosexuals' wants/what he thinks they need.  He would do this for all minorities in order to make every minority "feel good".  The facts below add to an understanding of how smart he is.  Smarts matter. 

One can estimate IQ based on years of behavior.  When I did evaluations for Social Security Disability payments, whether they got it or not, I was required to estimate the person's intelligence before the disability happened.  I estimated IQ based on their previous jobs and their extra curricular activities.  (I also tested them then to get a valid IQ number at that present time.)  Pete B's accomplishments tell me he is extremely bright.  The fact he knows so many languages and plays piano to the extent he can solo with a symphony orchestra, are facts that add to his intelligence score.  That is why it is important to know these facts to help determine what his abilities are.

He is definitely smarter than Trump.  Pete's knowledge of the English language, his delivery of words, would hurt Trump in a debate. Pete B would be/likely is now, up on every aspect of federal government. 

Saw on TV today, Tuesday, Pete said the Democrat party can't revolve around Trump's personality.  He said Democrats need to call out Trump then quickly move on to their message.  About getting blacks on their side, he said, "We have our work cut out for us."   

I saw yesterday, Pete is third now behind Biden/Sanders.  Will he pass them?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2019, 04:20:06 pm »

Denise McAllister
‏Verified account @McAllisterDen

I am constantly amazed by conservatives and libertarians who get tingles down their legs when a Democrat is well spoken even though he stands for everything contrary to principles of liberty. We live in a shallow age and we will drown in puddles.
10:37 PM - 15 Apr 2019
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2019, 04:24:01 pm »
Gay Is the New Black: The Buttigieg Candidacy
By D. C. McAllister January 24, 2019

We need to talk about Pete Buttigieg and why his candidacy for president in the age of identity politics is negatively disruptive — though this certainly doesn’t mean he shouldn’t run. He’s the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, and the first openly gay candidate to run for president. It’s not a comfortable discussion. I’ll be called a homophobe for having it. But it’s necessary, so let’s dive right in.

The politics of the Democratic Party is driven by an ideology that pits one group against another. Blacks against whites. Gays against straights. Women against men. Political agendas and views are often put in that frame. We saw the consequences of this during Barack Obama’s reign as the first black president. If you criticized him, you were called a racist. Almost all statements and judgments regarding his policies and performance were filtered through the lens of identity politics.

This was true with the candidacy of Hillary Clinton as well. Democrats tried to put any criticism of her agenda in that context. Women who opposed her were called traitors to their sex. Men who refused to vote for her were inevitably called misogynists who didn’t want a female president. ...

My criticism here is not of Buttigieg or his sexual orientation. I’m not opposed to having a gay president — his sex life doesn’t matter to me. His policies do. When I say that the last thing our country needs in an age of identity politics is a president whose stand-out characteristic as generated by the media is that he’s gay, I’m focusing on a cultural problem, not a problem with the candidate.  ...
More at PJ Media

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2019, 04:57:43 pm »
Denise McAllister

I am constantly amazed by conservatives and libertarians who get tingles down their legs when a Democrat is well spoken even though he stands for everything contrary to principles of liberty. We live in a shallow age and we will drown in puddles.

Word.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2019, 05:12:02 pm »
Denise McAllister

This is not what I (and, I believe, @Victoria33) are saying.    I know full well Buttigieg is progressive.   But he frames himself in a context of inclusiveness and shared values - unlike any of the other Dem candidates.   That makes him a potentially formidable opponent,  because Trump is his polar opposite.   Trump is as enraptured with identity politics and the tribal message of "us vs. them" as most of the Dems are.   

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2019, 05:34:58 pm »
This is not what I (and, I believe, @Victoria33) are saying.    I know full well Buttigieg is progressive.   But he frames himself in a context of inclusiveness and shared values - unlike any of the other Dem candidates.   That makes him a potentially formidable opponent,  because Trump is his polar opposite.   Trump is as enraptured with identity politics and the tribal message of "us vs. them" as most of the Dems are.
@Jazzhead

Jazz, you and I are evaluating possible election outcomes, has nothing to do with your candidate likes or my candidate likes.  Some people can't stand back and evaluate; they are stuck in praise of their candidate no matter what is happening around that candidate.  It is important to know as much as possible about those running for your office.  Will watch Pete B. rise or fall.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2019, 06:05:28 pm »
On an objective basis, Buttigieg presents a much more intelligent, less radical persona than any of the other Dem candidates.

For that reason, I think he has a chance to win the Dem nomination.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2019, 06:25:47 pm »
On an objective basis, Buttigieg presents a much more intelligent, less radical persona than any of the other Dem candidates.

For that reason, I think he has a chance to win the Dem nomination.

Yes, in a way he is less radical, but he announced that he and his husband want to have a baby.  I'm not so sure how that will play out, though it may be seen as political correct and an "aw" moment.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2019, 06:45:00 pm »
Andrew Wilkow is brilliantly decimating Buttigieg now on his show. He's not in the least impressed by the small town mayor and his lack of knowledge of and reverence for the Constitution.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2019, 07:24:26 pm »
When I think that it was primarily Notre Dame students that are responsible for Buttwipe's career, all I can think now is that the wrong Notre Dame burned.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2019, 07:49:43 pm »
Yes, in a way he is less radical, but he announced that he and his husband want to have a baby.  I'm not so sure how that will play out, though it may be seen as political correct and an "aw" moment.

It all depends on how socially radical the Dem base (those voting in the primaries) is relative to the rest of the population.

Under a certain age, homosexuality is no big deal.  They've been successfully brainwashed.  So that might not matter.

I see him as another token candidate, BUT he is certainly articulate and intelligent, and a certain person we all know, but are not permitted to criticize, continues with his word salad gobbledygook.

If they are looking for a contrast in that to him, Pete will do well.  If they are looking for a moral contrast, well, there isn't much of one.

It appears he will not be going down the radical socialist road, so he may have that in his favor too.

Again, it all depends on the Dem primary voters.  I think he has a chance to beat the crazies.

And in truth, I don't think any of the leftist nutcases have a chance to beat the incumbent.  Unless he is primaried, we're stuck for another four years.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2019, 08:23:40 pm »
I see him as another token candidate, BUT he is certainly articulate and intelligent
Just like BHO in every respect, then.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2019, 08:26:10 pm »
Just like BHO in every respect, then.

Yes, Buttigieg is every bit as anti-American as Bammy.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2019, 08:33:01 pm »
Yes, Buttigieg is every bit as anti-American as Bammy.
Exactly. The same political point of view - including disdain for the Constitution - as well as being a bright, articulate member of a persecuted minority  (in Pete's case, homosexuals).