Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg officially announces 2020 presidential bid  (Read 6502 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Pete Buttigieg officially announces 2020 presidential bid
« on: April 14, 2019, 10:53:59 pm »
Pete Buttigieg officially announces 2020 presidential bid
By  Daniel Uria

April 14 (UPI) -- Pete Buttigieg, mayor of South Bend, Ind., officially announced his presidential bid on Sunday afternoon.

Buttigieg addressed a capacity crowd at Studebaker Building 84, a former car factory in downtown South Bend that has been converted into hub for tech startups, where he outlined his campaign messages centered around the three pillars of security, democracy and freedom.

"My name is Pete Buttigieg. They call me Mayor Pete. I am a proud son of South Bend, Indiana and I'm running for president of the United States," he said. "I recognize the audacity of doing this as a Midwestern millennial mayor. More than a little bold -- at age 37 to seek the highest office in the land."

Read more at: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2019/04/14/Pete-Buttigieg-officially-announces-2020-presidential-bid/6481555273916/

Joyce Karam
‏Verified account @Joyce_Karam
3h3 hours ago

Here it is. Mayor #PeteButtigieg ⁦@PeteButtigieg⁩ announces run for President.
First openly Gay candidate for President, speaks Arabic, Norwegian, Spanish, Italian (2 more). Video:

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1117508934003253248

Joyce Karam further tweeted:

His last name originates from Arabic (but he’s not Arab), meaning أبو دجاج (father of chickens). Familiar last name in Lebanon. His father immigrated from Greece. Passed away in Jan.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 10:57:18 pm by TomSea »

Offline dfwgator

Re: Pete Buttigieg officially announces 2020 presidential bid
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 11:09:18 pm »

"Peter Buttigieg!"

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 12:20:30 am »
Just one more clown in the overcrowded clown car.

HRC jumps in within one month of Biden announcing, or she announces in the Fall.  Either way, clowns like Buttigieg fall fast by the wayside.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 12:53:07 am »
I heard him speak; excellent delivery.  Look up Pete Buttigieg on Wikipedia.  He has terrific history and accomplishments.  Trump could not match him on education accomplishments and military experience.  Pete could win if not gay and could win because of being gay.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 01:03:21 am »
I heard him speak; excellent delivery.  Look up Pete Buttigieg on Wikipedia.  He has terrific history and accomplishments.  Trump could not match him on education accomplishments and military experience.  Pete could win if not gay and could win because of being gay.

@Victoria33

He would not even be able to win a Statewide office in Deep Red, pretty deep red Indiana.  I think they rarely vote D in the Hoosier state, though, they might have for Obama in 2008. That was a bad year for Republicans.

This really is why Buttigieg is going this way. Indiana is very Republican. He would have a hard time running for Prez as Senator Buttigieg from Indiana.  Governor and probably barely as a Rep from there unless, you are running in urban Indianapolis.

And maybe a "college town" elects some guy who makes his sexual orientation known. I don't know. I'd hope ND could be better than that.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 01:09:51 am by TomSea »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 01:27:04 am »
South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D) on Sunday made his call to scrap the Electoral College part of his 2020 campaign launch.

“We can’t say it’s much of a democracy when twice in my lifetime the Electoral College has overruled the American people," he said during a rally in South Bend as he officially announced his candidacy for the Democratic nomination for president in 2020.

Seems like mayor Pete doesn't believe in the Constitution. That qualifies him to run as a democommie.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 02:57:33 am »
In a way, I can see how Pete might have a bit of charisma and attract some segments of the population. I can see that,  he's probably better as far as I see, than Kamala Harris, who I don't care for a bit. Also, he may think he has something to offer the public, this can be a stepping stone. If a Dem were elected president, they could probably find some cabinet job for him.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 03:00:12 am »

Or he could lose.  I don't see him breaking through the Primaries.  Being gay makes no difference to me.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 03:41:06 am »
@Victoria33

I'd hope ND could be better than that.

Nope, ND is not better than that.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 08:07:59 am »
Nope, ND is not better than that.
How did North Dakota get tangled up in this? Or is that Notre Dame?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 11:46:39 am »
Secret tapes linger over Buttigieg's meteoric rise
By Jonathan Easley - 04/15/19 06:00 AM EDT

Pete Buttigieg’s meteoric rise as a presidential candidate is putting a spotlight on his years as mayor of South Bend, Ind., including his demotion of an African American police chief.

An Indiana judge will rule soon on whether to release five cassette tapes of secretly recorded conversations between South Bend police officers that led to the 2012 demotion of Police Chief Darryl Boykins, the city’s first ever black police chief. ...

Buttigieg’s critics say he’s gone to great lengths to conceal the contents of the tapes, which some believe could include racist language by white police officers.   ... Story at The Hill
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 11:56:22 am »
@austingirl
@TomSea
@Cyber Liberty
@mystery-ak

austingirl, about Pete B. saying, “We can’t say it’s much of a democracy when twice in my lifetime the Electoral College has overruled the American people,..."
Trump also wants to do away with the Electoral College, at least he did before he won. He wants whatever makes him win; he cares nothing about the constitution; it is a hindrance to him if it limits his power.

Some here will say I "love" Pete.  I am stating facts; the truth about your opposition is the first step to winning over him/her.   

This Pete guy has crammed so much into his 37 years on this earth - all of it one success after another.  His mother and father were Ph.D. professors.  People should read about Pete on Wikipedia so they know what Trump is up against.  Trump will not win a debate with Pete.  When you get a chance to hear Pete, you will see how "cool" he is.  When you listen to him/see his demeanor while talking, erase your political beliefs.  Evaluate him as though you are a liberal; think in terms of Independent voters and Democrat voters - how they will relate to him.

Upon graduating from Harvard in 2005, Buttigieg was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship and in 2007 he received first-class honors in philosophy, politics and economics from Pembroke College, Oxford.

Look at the languages he has mastered. Look at his master of guitar and piano:
Buttigieg is a polyglot. He taught himself to speak Norwegian and is also conversational in Spanish, Italian, Maltese, Arabic, Farsi, and French.  Buttigieg plays guitar and piano, and in 2013 performed with the South Bend Symphony Orchestra as a guest piano soloist.

Look at his military record (Trump claimed heel bone spurs to stay out of war)
Buttigieg was commissioned as a naval intelligence officer in the Navy Reserve in 2009, and deployed to Afghanistan in 2014. After a seven-month deployment, Buttigieg returned to South Bend.  He remained a lieutenant in the Naval Reserve until 2017.

Here is Trump's problem with Pete.  Trump cannot attack him/make fun of him/give him a tacky name.  I'm sure Trump can't even pronounce Pete's last name.  Trump will try to use Pete's last name to embarrass him, but the embarrassment will be Trump's for not being able to pronounce Pete's last name.

Trump can't attack Pete's military service because Trump faked heel bone spurs and didn't serve. 

Trump can't say he is smarter than Pete because Pete has his smarts on paper, the various awards he got for putting his high intelligence to good works. 

The only thing Trump could use to attack Pete, is, he is gay however, Trump wants the gay vote, too.  If Trump made fun of Pete's sexual orientation, those gays who now support Trump, will leave him and vote for Pete.

There are many Democrats running for president; Pete is going to move up the line to the front.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 12:24:14 pm »
Here's something he has in common with AOC, et al.
Buttigieg slams Electoral College for overruling popular vote 'twice in my lifetime'
By Michael Burke - 04/14/19 04:14 PM EDT

South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D) on Sunday made his call to scrap the Electoral College part of his 2020 campaign launch.

“We can’t say it’s much of a democracy when twice in my lifetime the Electoral College has overruled the American people," he said during a rally in South Bend as he officially announced his candidacy for the Democratic nomination for president in 2020.

"Why should our vote in Indiana only count once or twice in a century? Or your vote in Wyoming or New York?” Buttigieg added. ...  The Hill
And if you oppose him, you're just a homophobe.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:27:12 pm by mountaineer »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 02:09:36 pm »
@austingirl
@TomSea
@Cyber Liberty
@mystery-ak

austingirl, about Pete B. saying, “We can’t say it’s much of a democracy when twice in my lifetime the Electoral College has overruled the American people,..."
Trump also wants to do away with the Electoral College, at least he did before he won. He wants whatever makes him win; he cares nothing about the constitution; it is a hindrance to him if it limits his power.

Some here will say I "love" Pete.  I am stating facts; the truth about your opposition is the first step to winning over him/her.   

This Pete guy has crammed so much into his 37 years on this earth - all of it one success after another.  His mother and father were Ph.D. professors.  People should read about Pete on Wikipedia so they know what Trump is up against.  Trump will not win a debate with Pete.  When you get a chance to hear Pete, you will see how "cool" he is.  When you listen to him/see his demeanor while talking, erase your political beliefs.  Evaluate him as though you are a liberal; think in terms of Independent voters and Democrat voters - how they will relate to him.

Upon graduating from Harvard in 2005, Buttigieg was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship and in 2007 he received first-class honors in philosophy, politics and economics from Pembroke College, Oxford.

Buttigieg is a polyglot. He taught himself to speak Norwegian and is also conversational in Spanish, Italian, Maltese, Arabic, Farsi, and French.  Buttigieg plays guitar and piano, and in 2013 performed with the South Bend Symphony Orchestra as a guest piano soloist.

Buttigieg was commissioned as a naval intelligence officer in the Navy Reserve in 2009, and deployed to Afghanistan in 2014. After a seven-month deployment, Buttigieg returned to South Bend.  He remained a lieutenant in the Naval Reserve until 2017.

Here is Trump's problem with Pete.  Trump cannot attack him/make fun of him/give him a tacky name.  I'm sure Trump can't even pronounce Pete's last name.  Trump will try to use Pete's last name to embarrass him, but the embarrassment will be Trump's for not being able to pronounce Pete's last name.

Trump can't attack Pete's military service because Trump faked heel bone spurs and didn't serve. 

Trump can't say he is smarter than Pete because Pete has his smarts on paper, the various awards he got for putting his high intelligence to good works. 

The only thing Trump could use to attack Pete, is, he is gay however, Trump wants the gay vote, too.  If Trump made fun of Pete's sexual orientation, those gays who now support Trump, will leave him and vote for Pete.

There are many Democrats running for president; Pete is going to move up the line to the front.

@Victoria33
I find nothing in a democommie to admire.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 02:17:55 pm »
He may speak Arabic but he won't be welcome there. They barely tolerate women leaders. The gay thing might hurt him with  minority voters who make up a big part of the Democrat vote and they seem to like Trump. 
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 02:33:15 pm »
Democrats will not nominate a white male in 2020. I think he's setting himself up for 2024 and beyond.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 03:10:51 pm »
@austingirl
@TomSea
@Cyber Liberty
@mystery-ak

Jobs created?

That's a good resume. It's really not one though, that shows someone has run government, has achieved in government. About creating a favorable economy where jobs are created, in fact, he'll probably go with now, what are Democratic staples like global warming and gun control.

And Buttigieg is a big pro-choicer. He isn't going to win Indiana Senator so why think he's going to win the US Presidency?

@Victoria33 

You are just reading from a bio,

"... , and in 2013 performed with the South Bend Symphony Orchestra as a guest piano soloist."

This is like being a good debater or being a top graduate of one's class. That's good but it's not really the kind of stuff that generally makes or breaks a campaign. It's almost humorous to list things like this as accomplishments.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:16:16 pm by TomSea »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 03:23:47 pm »
Pe Butt, at his announcement, walked right over to his husband, and they kissed.

Picture the grand-ball at the white house. The newly elected President in a black tux, dancing with his husband, in a pink tux.

The future draws near. Will Rep. Omar help them adopt little babies from Somalia?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 03:40:06 pm »
If he had accomplishments like jobs created, believe me, we'd hear about that and not about speaking 5 different languages and at that, how good does he speak them?

One could make the case, he's parlaying minority status into this run.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 03:58:32 pm »
Joins the B-Boy,

Bernie, Biden, Beatoff, Booker

Pete Butt, might have "intersectionality" score to compete with "women of Color"

Harris might give way to Pete Butt-boy
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 04:00:26 pm »
Jobs created?
That's a good resume. It's really not one though, that shows someone has run government, has achieved in government. About creating a favorable economy where jobs are created, in fact, he'll probably go with now, what are Democratic staples like global warming and gun control.
And Buttigieg is a big pro-choicer. He isn't going to win Indiana Senator so why think he's going to win the US Presidency?
@Victoria33    This is like being a good debater or being a top graduate of one's class. That's good but it's not really the kind of stuff that generally makes or breaks a campaign. It's almost humorous to list things like this as accomplishments.
@TomSea
@austingirl
@Cyber Liberty

austingirl, you said,  "I find nothing in a democommie to admire."
This is not a post to admire Pete.  It is an attempt to know about Pete and what his placement might be in the Democrat candidate list.

Tom, you said it was a good resume, but "It's really not one though, that shows someone has run government, has achieved in government. About creating a favorable economy where jobs are created.."

@TomSea , he also has experience in government office with good outcomes:
"Buttigieg was first elected mayor of South Bend in 2011 and was reelected in 2015. During his time as mayor of South Bend, Buttigieg's policies were widely credited with spurring economic growth and business investment. In 2013 he won GovFresh's Mayor of the Year award."

So, Trump can't say he has done nothing in government.

Maybe Pete will go down since he is gay; it is up to Independents who decide who becomes president.  Historically, Dems are "some less" than 50% of voters across the nation, Republicans are "some less" than 50% of voters across the nation. It is Independents who make up the "some less" category and who gets their support, has historically won.   

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:01:25 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 04:17:32 pm »
He also has had some bad outcomes as mayor. I understand South Bend has a tremendous crime problem. Not sure what he's doing about that.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 04:19:07 pm »
@TomSea
@austingirl
@Cyber Liberty

austingirl, you said,  "I find nothing in a democommie to admire."
This is not a post to admire Pete.  It is an attempt to know about Pete and what his placement might be in the Democrat candidate list.

Tom, you said it was a good resume, but "It's really not one though, that shows someone has run government, has achieved in government. About creating a favorable economy where jobs are created.."

@TomSea , he also has experience in government office with good outcomes:
"Buttigieg was first elected mayor of South Bend in 2011 and was reelected in 2015. During his time as mayor of South Bend, Buttigieg's policies were widely credited with spurring economic growth and business investment. In 2013 he won GovFresh's Mayor of the Year award."

So, Trump can't say he has done nothing in government.

Maybe Pete will go down since he is gay; it is up to Independents who decide who becomes president.  Historically, Dems are "some less" than 50% of voters across the nation, Republicans are "some less" than 50% of voters across the nation. It is Independents who make up the "some less" category and who gets their support, has historically won.

@Victoria33

I think Pete is just playing up his victim hood status. He's won something with yougov , a good rating?

What's so much more special about Pete than mayors of other cities that size? Muncie, Indiana or how about Redondo Beach California or Iowa City, Iowa?  Gulf Port, Mississippi.

The only reason we know about this guy is probably because he is gay.

What has Trump done? I'm not going to go by "yougov", that might even be internet polling.

Your former governor of TX started a war in Iraq that has heavily threatened the very existence of Christianity that's been there for 2000 years in Iraq and Syria. He's not to be solely blamed but I do believe he and Obama even moreso, do have some responsibility.  Trump's done nothing like that, maybe open your eyes for a change. Trump's management of the war over there has brought it into a great decline. Has Pete done this?

I hate mentioning divisive things but you actually force others into it by being derisive of the president.

Pete sopped the North Koreans from firing missiles?  Nope again.

Pete on record as having the lowest unemployment rates of African Americans? Not on a nationwide basis.

So, again, like other Anti-Trumpers you make statements but they often don't have a foundation.

Pete cut off funds from planned parenthood? Assuredly, Pete is for planned parenthood but Trump has cutt off such funds.

And again, if this guy wasn't gay, would we know him from the mayor of Spokane Washington? Chandler Arizona?  Bakersfield California? Ann Arbor Michigan? He's playing his minority status up for political gain.  You've got mayors all across the US.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 04:40:07 pm »
Democrats will not nominate a white male in 2020. I think he's setting himself up for 2024 and beyond.
By that time, AOC will be eligible, and you KNOW she has her eyes on that prize.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 06:38:27 pm »
@TomSea
You said, "I hate mentioning divisive things but you actually force others into it by being derisive of the president."

This post is about Pete B and his accomplishments - how those could cause him to move up in the Democrat poll of candidates, and it compares his qualities with Trump in that Trump couldn't dump on him about various subjects where Pete has more credibility.  These are facts, just facts.  My opinion of Trump is not here.