Author Topic: Rep. Will Hurd On Border Crossings  (Read 347 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Rep. Will Hurd On Border Crossings
« on: April 14, 2019, 10:45:19 pm »
Excerpt:

Rep. Will Hurd On Border Crossings

HURD: Well, when we say cut off aid, there's two kinds of aid. When you send aid to State Department and USAID, that is going to the State Department. And they're working with civil society, with organizations that are working against violence and economic opportunity.

INSKEEP: Yeah.

HURD: And in the Northern Triangle case, you have stuff going directly to the government. We should be making sure we're auditing all of those programs. I was there recently looking at those steps to address the violence and lack of economic opportunities in the Northern Triangle. We should be having a discussion on asylum laws. Using 1950s asylum law is not going to solve the root problems in the Northern Triangle.

INSKEEP: But let me just circle back. I'm sorry. You said you should audit that spending to make sure it's being spent well. That's different than cutting off aid. Should aid just be stopped in retaliation?

Read more at: https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=709767415&bcmt=1

He's Republican, many of his views I agree with, his district has hundreds of border miles and he's a big anti-waller.

Maybe the important thing, is the issue is being discussed... but you read this and a lot of these politicians take off in different directions in their views.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Rep. Will Hurd On Border Crossings
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 01:52:33 am »
I would take anything Hurd says with a big grain of salt.  No, not so.  I would take anything Hurd says and assume it is not true. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Rep. Will Hurd On Border Crossings
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 03:29:06 am »
I got through the article, one of his responses is a typical standard response.

"How do we lower/stop illegal immigration?",

"We invest more in Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador" (He calls it a triangle I think).

Okay, I'm not even saying this is wrong to say this... but there is a real urgency about this problem. Something like this might have even been said 12 years ago because, in fact, we do invest in those countries, including Mexico, for these purposes.  But saying this doesn't respond to the immediate crisis.

He's also made a big deal that landowners, many will sue over this,  meaning the wall.

I would say, for TX and the border states in general, yes, you are going to get a lot of different responses. You talk to the people and again, quite a few different opinions.

I've always been mainly for beefing up security.