Author Topic: Why the Julian Assange indictment is a victory for press freedom - Steve Chapman  (Read 437 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Why the Julian Assange indictment is a victory for press freedom
Steve Chapman

Julian Assange has a knack for making enemies. Conservatives denounced him in 2010 after he put online a horde of classified information provided by Chelsea Manning, a U.S. Army intelligence analyst who went to prison for the leaks. Liberals revile him for disclosing hacked Democratic National Committee emails and helping elect Donald Trump.

On top of those, two Swedish women say he sexually assaulted them, which led to an arrest warrant that prompted him to seek asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy in London in 2012. He was arrested there “on behalf of the United States” on Thursday morning after his asylum was canceled.

There will be no shortage of schadenfreude among those who see him as a malicious enemy of our security and democracy. That includes Sen. Ben Sasse, R-Neb., who tweeted Thursday that Assange “deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison.”

Read more at: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chapman/ct-perspec-chapman-assange-wikileaks-indicted-20190411-story.html

Hot topic coming out from numerous outlets about "freedom of the press", pros and cons.. sympathy for Assange or he went to far. I tend to think the latter and did during the last administration.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
My time in a Cold War era crypto sgnal unit in Germany and discovery of several that stole classified infor to pass to the USSR, causes me to see Assange in that light .

Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were executed for stealing classified American information.

The internet age, does not change the basics, just by calling it "hacking.".
crmi

It is theft, and it endangers the nation's security.

Snowden is in state exile in Russia, for a factual look at another such spy.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
At the moment, EVERYONE,

Maybe I said it in another thread, this article says it too, Assange currently faces only 5 years for password hacking and perhaps doing that for C. Manning.

Charges in Sweden, if viable would be much worse.

Though, in the US, they may be hunting for more serious charges.

Only simple password hacking... not incredibly serious. Felonies still, like hacking into someone's bank account.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
truth seeker wrote:
"My time in a Cold War era crypto sgnal unit in Germany"

Hey, that wasn't in the little town of Herzogenaraugh (sp?), was it?