Author Topic: U.S. sailor killed a woman and himself in Okinawa, Japan says  (Read 626 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
U.S. sailor killed a woman and himself in Okinawa, Japan says
By Associated Press   Apr 13, 2019

A U.S. serviceman fatally stabbed a Japanese woman and then killed himself in Okinawa on Saturday, Japan's Foreign Ministry said, as local resentment over the presence of American troops in the southwestern Japanese region swelled.

U.S. Forces Japan said the Navy Criminal Investigative Service was working with local police to look into the deaths of a U.S. sailor assigned to a Marine unit living in Okinawa. "This is an absolute tragedy and we are fully committed to supporting the investigation," it said in a statement, adding that more information would be released later.

Although Okinawa makes up less than 1% of Japan's land space, it hosts about half of the 54,000 American troops stationed in Japan, and accounts for 64% of the land used by U.S. bases in the country under a bilateral security treaty.

Read more at: https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-navy-sailor-stabs-woman-okinawa-20190413-story.html

Offline mountaineer

Re: U.S. sailor killed a woman and himself in Okinawa, Japan says
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 10:48:49 pm »
54,000 American troops stationed in Japan
Perhaps you folks who know more about the military than I can explain why so many are stationed there.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 01:51:12 am »
Perhaps you folks who know more about the military than I can explain why so many are stationed there.

Great question.  The Okinawans don't seem to want us there.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 10:57:13 am »

@mountaineer

Because we took over as the rulers of Okinawa after WW-2,and used it as a staging and resupply base for future operation in Asia. It is a pretty big island,and was undeveloped other than for a few small cities. PLENTY of room for US bases to be built. The whole northern part of the island was still undeveloped when I was there in the 60's.

Okinawa had a GREAT economy due to all the GI's there.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 11:06:22 am »
Great question.  The Okinawans don't seem to want us there.

@Sanguine

BullBush!

The Okinawains that are members of the Communist Party don't want us there,but the rest of them love having Americans on the island.

Other than black Marines,that is. Seems like it is never a black soldier,AF member,or USCG member. It is almost always a Marine,and if not a Marine,a black sailor.

The Okinawains/Japanese are NOT amused with local women being beaten and raped by US military members,and it is almost always a,or several,black Marines arrested and sent to a Japanese prison for their crimes.

I can guarantee you they do NOT enjoy their time in a Japanese prison,either. They are NOT going to speak or even pretend to understand English to accommodate a prisoner,and they WILL beat the snot out of you for anything other than instant and absolute obedience. Or at least that's the way it was in the 60's,and the Japanese aren't real big on changing their culture.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 11:48:29 am »
@mountaineer

Because we took over as the rulers of Okinawa after WW-2,and used it as a staging and resupply base for future operation in Asia. It is a pretty big island,and was undeveloped other than for a few small cities. PLENTY of room for US bases to be built. The whole northern part of the island was still undeveloped when I was there in the 60's.

Okinawa had a GREAT economy due to all the GI's there.
thanks for that explanation, @sneakypete   My late father, who was a Navy officer 1944-46, was there briefly.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:14:43 pm »
@Sanguine

BullBush!

The Okinawains that are members of the Communist Party don't want us there,but the rest of them love having Americans on the island.

Other than black Marines,that is. Seems like it is never a black soldier,AF member,or USCG member. It is almost always a Marine,and if not a Marine,a black sailor.

The Okinawains/Japanese are NOT amused with local women being beaten and raped by US military members,and it is almost always a,or several,black Marines arrested and sent to a Japanese prison for their crimes.

I can guarantee you they do NOT enjoy their time in a Japanese prison,either. They are NOT going to speak or even pretend to understand English to accommodate a prisoner,and they WILL beat the snot out of you for anything other than instant and absolute obedience. Or at least that's the way it was in the 60's,and the Japanese aren't real big on changing their culture.

Don't yell at the messenger, @sneakypete.  I was just referring to this:  https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/okinawa-vote-u-s-military-base-tests-security-ties-japan-n972976