Author Topic: Gun Control Group’s Report Card on U.S. Banks’ Firearms Ties Has Several Fs  (Read 1325 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
NY Times By Tiffany Hsu 4/4/2019

Gun control activists have spent years trying to limit the number of assault-style firearms available to civilians: holding rallies, drafting proposed laws and backing campaigns by shareholders of publicly traded gun makers.

Now, one advocacy group is focusing on a different pressure point: the consumer banks that provide loans and other financial support to the gun industry.

The group, Guns Down America, which formed in 2016 after a mass shooting in Orlando, Fla., has created a ranking system that gives 15 banks letter grades based primarily on their ties to firearms makers and trade groups like the National Rifle Association.

Six of the banks, including JPMorgan Chase and Wells Fargo, received failing grades. Citigroup earned the highest one, a B.

Igor Volsky, Guns Down America’s founder and executive director, said he hoped the grading system would compel banks to be more publicly supportive of gun control measures, in the same way that many companies have taken positions on gay rights, immigration and other social issues.

Part of the mission, he added, is stopping “the Wild Wild West of how gun manufacturers both produce military-style weapons and also how they can market those firearms.”

“We’re not interested in shaming banks or running a campaign focused on how evil they are,” Mr. Volsky said. “Our end goal is to change the way banks make decisions when doing business with the gun industry.”

The group used a 100-point scale that applied different weights to factors like a bank’s loans to and investments in gun makers; its public statements about gun safety; its support for lawmakers backed by the N.R.A.; and the discounts and deals it offers to N.R.A. members.

More: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/business/gun-control-banks.html

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Find the ones that get F grades, and support them, folks.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
Part of the mission, he added, is stopping “the Wild Wild West of how gun manufacturers both produce military-style weapons and also how they can market those firearms.”

Speaking of marketing...when was the last time anyone say a TV ad for a gun shop?  Or a newspaper ad for that matter.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Speaking of marketing...when was the last time anyone say a TV ad for a gun shop?  Or a newspaper ad for that matter.

No TV ads. I don't get a newspaper. I hear plenty of ads on the radio for Collector's Firearms.  I receive multiple a day email ads.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
No TV ads. I don't get a newspaper. I hear plenty of ads on the radio for Collector's Firearms.  I receive multiple a day email ads.

I'm just wondering where the gun grabbers come up with the notion that guns are being some how mass marketed to people...seemingly against their will.

Occasionally I'll hear a radio ad for a gun range or a local gun shop...but it's not very often...most of the marketing I see for guns comes via magazines I have subscriptions to and in my email. 

IMHO you pretty much have to go to the advertising to find it...it doesn't come to you.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I'm just wondering where the gun grabbers come up with the notion that guns are being some how mass marketed to people...seemingly against their will.

Occasionally I'll hear a radio ad for a gun range or a local gun shop...but it's not very often...most of the marketing I see for guns comes via magazines I have subscriptions to and in my email. 

IMHO you pretty much have to go to the advertising to find it...it doesn't come to you.
Great point. It isn't like extended car warranties or help with your college loans ringing you up three or four times a day from spoofed numbers with a robocaller...

If you want to learn about/purchase firearms, the information is readily available, but it won't come to you unless you ask for that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

Here in virginia I hear them on a regular basis on Several radio stations for 2-3 gun stores.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.