Author Topic: Virgin Orbit adds Guam as low inclination launch site for Launcherone smallsat launch service  (Read 758 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Virginorbit 4/10/2019

Virgin Orbit, Sir Richard Branson’s small satellite launch company, announced today that the Pacific island of Guam will become an additional launch site for the company’s LauncherOne service. With its remote location and close proximity to the equator, Guam serves as an excellent base of operations from which the company’s unique, 747-launched rocket can efficiently serve all inclinations, a boon to the rapidly expanding small satellite market. Most excitingly, the new location enables LauncherOne to deliver more than 450 kg to a 500 km equatorial orbit.

The addition of Guam to that list enhances the flexibility of Virgin Orbit’s launch operations, adding a low-latitude site with clear launch trajectories in almost all directions, giving Virgin Orbit’s customers unparalleled control over where and when their small spacecraft are deployed.

Officials at US Pacific Air Forces (PACAF) have issued a letter of support for Andersen Air Force Base to host launches and other exercises with LauncherOne and its dedicated carrier aircraft—a critical step en route to a first launch from the island, which could occur in as little as a year’s time. Additionally, the largest commercial airport on the island, A.B. Won Pat International Airport, has begun the process of seeking its launch site operator’s license from the Federal Aviation Authority’s (FAA) Office of Commercial Space Transportation, in order to serve as a future launch site for Virgin Orbit.

More: https://virginorbit.com/virgin-orbit-adds-guam-as-low-inclination-launch-site-for-launcherone-smallsat-launch-service/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I'm just hoping that they'll do this in the center of the land mass. I'm afraid if they do it near one of the edges that the power of the rocket thrust against the ground will tip the island over.

:whistle:
The Republic is lost.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I'm just hoping that they'll do this in the center of the land mass. I'm afraid if they do it near one of the edges that the power of the rocket thrust against the ground will tip the island over.

:whistle:

Guam will be safe. Virgin Orbit uses a customized 747-400 aircraft as its “flying launch pad.