Author Topic: Ohio governor signs ban on abortion after 1st heartbeat  (Read 831 times)

Offline libertybele

Ohio governor signs ban on abortion after 1st heartbeat
« on: April 12, 2019, 04:46:19 pm »
Ohio governor signs ban on abortion after 1st heartbeat

A bill imposing one of the most stringent abortion restrictions in the nation was signed into law in Ohio on Thursday, banning abortions after a detectable heartbeat in a long-sought victory for abortion opponents that drew an immediate constitutional challenge.

In signing the heartbeat bill, Republican Gov. Mike DeWine broke with his predecessor, Republican John Kasich, who had vetoed the measure twice on grounds that it was unconstitutional.

But DeWine defended Ohio Republicans' decision to push the boundaries of the law, because "it is the right thing to do."

"Taking this action really is a kind of a time-honored tradition, the constitutional tradition of making a good faith argument for modification or reversal of existing legal precedents," he said. "So that is what this is."

He said it's the government's job to protect the vulnerable. The bill outlaws abortions once a fetal heartbeat is detected, which doctors say can be as early as five weeks into pregnancy, before many women know they are pregnant............

................."The heartbeat bill is the next incremental step in our strategy to overturn Roe v. Wade," said Ohio Right to Life President Mike Gonidakis. "While other states embrace radical legislation to legalize abortion on demand through the ninth month of pregnancy, Ohio has drawn a line and continues to advance protections for unborn babies."................

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ohio-governor-sign-ban-abortion-1st-heartbeat-181249768.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

Re: Ohio governor signs ban on abortion after 1st heartbeat
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 09:03:35 pm »
The bill outlaws abortions once a fetal heartbeat is detected, which doctors say can be as early as five weeks into pregnancy, before many women know they are pregnant............

35 days is a long time, especially when the "day after pill" is so easy to get.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 10:05:32 pm »
The bill outlaws abortions once a fetal heartbeat is detected, which doctors say can be as early as five weeks into pregnancy, before many women know they are pregnant............

35 days is a long time, especially when the "day after pill" is so easy to get.

I see this as a huge victory!   35 days v. 9 months, birth and after.  Huge victory!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 10:07:09 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 10:16:29 pm »
I see this as a huge victory!   35 days v. 9 months, birth and after.  Huge victory!

I'm sure lower courts will find some reason to overturn this law, but lets see how the SCOTUS strict constructionists rule.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 10:27:42 pm »
Me too.  This is a good day for America and Ohio.  God Bless Gov. DeWine. 

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 10:31:00 pm »
Good.  It's beyond time that we bring some modern science into this debate.  It's unconscionable that we've not yet seen a challenge to Roe v Wade on the basis of advancement in our understanding of the reproductive process in utero since 1973.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 09:59:56 am »
This is unconstitutional.  It is a shame to see prolifers -good people -   turning their efforts from helping others to denying their rights.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 10:34:46 am »
This is unconstitutional.  It is a shame to see prolifers -good people -   turning their efforts from helping others to denying their rights.
I think pro-choicers are good people too, but I am not pro-life because I want to deny people of their rights.  I too empathize with couples who are faced with an unwanted pregnancy.  I look forward to the day when science and chemistry will relegate this issue irrelevant...until it does I will view the procedure of abortion as barbaric and inhumane. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 03:05:23 pm »

Here we go.  Where in the constitution does it allow for taking a life?  What is sick, inhumane and disgusting is terminating a viable life.  Please tell me that you are not bothered by aborting a fetus/baby at 9 mos, 8 mos, 7 mos, 6 mos, 5 mos...?  Modern medicine is able to save viable lives.

Having a grandson born at 24/12 - 25 weeks due to complications during pregnancy, was an education.  It was an absolute and complete miracle. I absolutely have no doubt we witnessed a miracle. We literally watched his life continue outside the womb until he was able to go home on his anticipated birth date.  He suffered no complications, and is now doing well in school, plays and runs with the other kids, etc.

Don't try to convince me that the pro-abortion advocates are helping others by helping them terminate a viable life.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 03:24:12 pm »

So tell me @Jazzhead when are you gonna be dead?  That’s not a snarky question.   It’s a legitimate one.  What event is going to be the trigger for that?
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 03:44:42 pm »
A  baby's heart starts beating about 22 days after conception, but the earliest it can be seen on ultrasound is five weeks after a woman's last period. The heartbeat is there, but undetectable, so that gives covers for 13 more days to the murderers.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 06:17:13 pm »
Good.  Now pass a six week waiting period.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 12:50:49 am »
Fearless prediction #1:
This will get tossed out as unconstitutional in federal district court.
The lower court decision will probably be upheld at the appellate level.

Fearless prediction #2:
The case will probably reach the U.S. Supreme Court, but even the conservative majority will not uphold the Ohio law. Doing so will essentially overturn Roe v. Wade, and they're not about to do that.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 01:12:15 am »
Fearless prediction #1:

Fearless prediction #2:
The case will probably reach the U.S. Supreme Court, but even the conservative majority will not uphold the Ohio law. Doing so will essentially overturn Roe v. Wade, and they're not about to do that.

I say let them challenge it.  Yes, this takes us back to Roe v. Wade and also Planned Parenthood v. Casey and fetal viability.

The OH law isn't based on fetal viability, but rather on the detection of life itself.

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 01:12:32 am »
Fearless prediction #1:

Fearless prediction #2:
That's pretty cynical.  I wouldn't bet money against you, but I think the law will stand, unless the voters remove the GOP from power in Ohio state government.