Author Topic: 'Breakthrough', another "faith-based movie' in the theaters next week.  (Read 578 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
"Breakthrough"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Film Review: ‘Breakthrough’
A boy falls through the ice and gets saved by God in a feel-good Christian disaster movie with no doubt (none!) about the miraculous power of faith.
By Owen Gleiberman   

There’s a rather vital figure in the history of Christianity — his name is Jesus Christ — who suffered a famous, agonizing moment of spiritual doubt when he looked up from the Cross and said, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” But no such crisis of faith, even for a split second, ever afflicts Joyce Smith (Chrissy Metz), the suburban Missouri mom at the center of the feel-good Christian disaster movie “Breakthrough.”

Joyce, like Jesus (or Job), is enduring a trial beyond all human reckoning. On a sunny Martin Luther King Jr. Day in January 2015, her 14-year-old adopted son, John (Marcel Ruiz), is horsing around with two buddies on the frozen surface of Lake Sainte Louise when the ice cracks open, submerging all three boys. The friends get themselves to the surface, but John lies underwater, unconscious, until the rescue workers arrive, some 15 minutes later. At the hospital, he remains lifeless — no pulse, a temperature of 88 degrees; for 45 minutes, he is clinically dead. But then Joyce is given the chance to go into his room to say goodbye to him, and instead of doing that she cries out to God. God hears, and in His way God answers. Within a minute, John’s heart begins to beat again.

Read more at: https://variety.com/2019/film/reviews/breakthrough-review-chrissy-metz-1203182735/

I'm just learning about this myself. Well, maybe 20th century Fox is releasing it (or is it 21st now?)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 04:07:13 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Most of these movies have quite a bit of fluff, they seem oriented towards teens almost, it's almost formulaic. It's a high school story again. That wears a little thin.  That said, if a movie is able to carry a message forward, I can't criticize that.

It's hard for mature adults to really get excited about some of this. Okay, that is good if it is talking about a young man, boy, surviving after spending 15 minutes under the frozen ice. That's dangerous obviously.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 04:16:37 pm by TomSea »