Author Topic: Climate alarmists follow acid rain scare playbook  (Read 770 times)

rangerrebew

Climate alarmists follow acid rain scare playbook
« on: April 11, 2019, 02:43:38 pm »
Climate alarmists follow acid rain scare playbook
By Larry Bell|April 11th, 2019|Climate|0 Comments

There is nothing coincidental about common déjà vu features of a CO2 climate crisis-premised war on fossil fuels and a hysterically-hyped sulfur dioxide (SO2) emission acid rain environmental calamity a half-century ago.

Both scams have claimed to be based upon dire computer model-based predictions calling for costly interventions. Both also involved the same sorts of crony constituencies: alarmist “scientific authorities,” deep-pocket NGO promoters, and headline-hungry politicians eagerly rewarded by swarms of credulous media reporters.

The acid rain scare began in 1967 when Svant Odén, a soil scientist at the Agricultural College of Uppsala, wrote a broadly circulated sensationalist article about forestry damage he attributed to a “chemical war” between nations of Europe in the leading Swedish daily Dagens Nyheter.

https://www.cfact.org/2019/04/11/climate-alarmists-follow-acid-rain-scare-playbook/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Climate alarmists follow acid rain scare playbook
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 03:08:25 pm »
I've thought about acid rain lately.  It was big, it threatened, well....everything, it was going to cause massive damage, it was caused by thoughtless and/or evil humans practicing capitalism and on and on.  And, then, poof!, it was gone.  Along with Alar and DDT.

Turns out that slightly acidic granite produces slightly acidic water in lakes where granite is the predominate mineral.  The flora and fauna in those areas adapt to those conditions.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 07:02:28 pm »
I've thought about acid rain lately.  It was big, it threatened, well....everything, it was going to cause massive damage, it was caused by thoughtless and/or evil humans practicing capitalism and on and on.  And, then, poof!, it was gone.  Along with Alar and DDT.

Turns out that slightly acidic granite produces slightly acidic water in lakes where granite is the predominate mineral.  The flora and fauna in those areas adapt to those conditions.

This shut down a LOT of higher sulfur coal mines used for power plants in the late 1980s and the 1990s.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 12:03:48 am »

I remember back in '72 or '73 when it was mandated I put a NOx device on my car to help fight acid rain. I had to ruin my radiator hose to do it screw up the timing and carburetor. Fortunately the mechanic gave me the kit afterwards because I owned it showed me how to defeat the device with a BB in the vacuum hose and pointed out that there was plenty of the special color silicone to reseal the carb adjustment screws if I got inspected. That kit did nothing but put money in someones pocket and make cars run like crap. And I can't recall hearing about the deadly acid rain for decades.

I thought we were all supposed to by now?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:12:31 am by GtHawk »