Author Topic: Border chaos forces truckers to wait hours, sometimes days  (Read 351 times)

rangerrebew

Border chaos forces truckers to wait hours, sometimes days

Cedar Attanasio, Associated Press Updated 11:03 pm CDT, Tuesday, April 9, 2019

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (AP) — To deal with a surge of migrating Central American families, the Trump administration has reassigned so many inspectors from U.S.-Mexico border crossings that truckers are waiting in line for hours and sometimes days to get shipments to the United States.

Truckers have been sleeping in their vehicles to hold spots in line in Ciudad Juarez, across the border from El Paso, Texas. The city brought in portable toilets, and an engine oil company hired models in skin-tight clothing to hand out burritos and bottled water to idled drivers.

"My family doesn't recognize me at home anymore," Jaime Monroy, a trucker who lives in Ciudad Juarez, said after sleeping overnight in his truck hauling a load of wooden furniture. "I leave at 3 in the morning and come back at 10 at night."

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/texas/article/Border-chaos-forces-truckers-to-wait-hours-13754236.php

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Border chaos forces truckers to wait hours, sometimes days
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 10:48:19 pm »
Eventually, we're going to be forced to close ALL existing border crossings.

That means -- no more vehicle traffic between the United States and Mexico.

That won't "end commerce", but it will change how it's conducted.

Commercial traffic can be shifted to shipping, air, and rail.

Yes, it will shake things up for a while.
But it has to be done, if we're to re-establish control of the border between the USA and Mexico.

How much "control" of that border exists TODAY?