Author Topic: Julian Assange Has Been Arrested  (Read 1623 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Julian Assange Has Been Arrested
« on: April 11, 2019, 10:08:20 am »
(CNN) — WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has been arrested at the Ecuadorian embassy in London, police announced Thursday.

The Metropolitan Police said its officers went into the embassy, where Assange has been living for the past seven years, to detain him for "failing to surrender to the court" over a warrant issued in 2012.

He has been taken into custody at a central London police station, police said.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/04/11/uk/julian-assange-arrested-gbr-intl/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Julian Assange Has Been Arrested
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 11:33:25 am »
This should be interesting. Assange claimed he created a dead man's switch that would dump very damaging data on many world leaders in the event he was arrested or worse. Assange is not one to bluff either.

Offline edpc

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 11:52:03 am »
This should be interesting. Assange claimed he created a dead man's switch that would dump very damaging data on many world leaders in the event he was arrested or worse. Assange is not one to bluff either.

I don’t remember if that involved his arrest or if he was extradited to the US. I’m sure there are different contingencies. As you say, it could prove to be interesting.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 12:05:50 pm »
I wonder if the feds got to it and defused it (for lack of a better word) before they made the arrest.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 02:29:27 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I lean mostly, that this is good. I know a lot of people think he and Snowden in releasing secrets are the good guys. I don't. I also acknowledge I'm not real familiar with the case. But it looks like what they did was mainly beneficial to the Russians.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 02:34:10 pm »
BKMK

Offline edpc

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 02:41:58 pm »
The indictment in the US was filed by the Eastern District of Virginia. If he’s extradited to face charges, Assange may draw Amy Berman Jackson as the judge. She’s pretty no nonsense and sentenced Manafort, recently. She’s also handling the Roger Stone trial.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 02:43:33 pm »
The timing is suspicious.

Offline edpc

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 02:45:10 pm »

It looks like they arrested Connor McGregor’s grandfather.

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 02:51:42 pm »
The DOJ says part of what Assange did to justify his prosecution - beyond allegedly helping Manning get the documents - is he encouraged Manning to get more docs for him to publish. Journalists do this with sources constantly: it's the criminalization of journalism https://t.co/GXNjWlkFZw

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 02:51:47 pm »

We'll find out soon enough.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 02:57:30 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 03:03:44 pm »
Assange charged with computer hacking in US
https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/438396-assange-charged-with-computer-hacking-in-us

WikiLeaks isnt the hacker, they are the reporter. The extent of the charge is they 'encouraged it'. This is very disturbing.

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 03:10:39 pm »
WikiLeaks isnt the hacker, they are the reporter. The extent of the charge is they 'encouraged it'. This is very disturbing.

Not really. Pompeo, in his capacity as CIA Director, described the organization, as follows....

The self-described transparency organization WikiLeaks is a "non-state, hostile intelligence service" that is often "abetted by state actors like Russia," CIA Director Mike Pompeo said Thursday.

"WikiLeaks walks like a foreign intelligence agency and talks like a foreign intelligence agency," Pompeo said during an event at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. He added that "it's time to call out WikiLeaks what it is."

https://www.businessinsider.com/cia-mike-pompeo-wikileaks-assange-2017-4

He’s 100% correct.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 03:11:04 pm »

I agree. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 03:19:33 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I lean mostly, that this is good. I know a lot of people think he and Snowden in releasing secrets are the good guys. I don't. I also acknowledge I'm not real familiar with the case. But it looks like what they did was mainly beneficial to the Russians.

Looks like they pulled him right off the pot while reading his copy of Golf Week.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 03:24:15 pm »
BNL NEWS
‏ @BreakingNLive

BREAKING: WikiLeaks: ‘Ecuador has illigally terminated Assange political asylum in violation of international law. He was arrested by the British police inside the Ecuadorian embassy minutes ago’
2:39 AM - 11 Apr 2019

https://twitter.com/BreakingNLive/status/1116274640480026624

I agree with Pompeo all the way. These people may have even put Americans in danger.

Maybe they did some good things too. We will see how it shakes out.

Offline ABX

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 03:33:51 pm »

Not really. Pompeo, in his capacity as CIA Director, described the organization, as follows....

The self-described transparency organization WikiLeaks is a "non-state, hostile intelligence service" that is often "abetted by state actors like Russia," CIA Director Mike Pompeo said Thursday.

"WikiLeaks walks like a foreign intelligence agency and talks like a foreign intelligence agency," Pompeo said during an event at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. He added that "it's time to call out WikiLeaks what it is."

https://www.businessinsider.com/cia-mike-pompeo-wikileaks-assange-2017-4

He’s 100% correct.

I have to 100% disagree and this points out a dangerous precedent. WikiLeaks reports on information they receive.
They did not hack. They engaged in the same activity journalists all around the world do on a daily basis.
They just made the mistake of exposing the powerful, from the NSA, to Hillary and Podesta, to countless others.

If WikiLeaks today, who is to say it won't be this site tomorrow? After all, we have an entire subforum on discussing and mirroring the Hillary email leaks and Podesta emails from WikiLeaks.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 03:38:55 pm »
What they did clearly played into the Russians' hands. Snowden in Moscow.  Hello?

Offline edpc

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 03:54:22 pm »
If WikiLeaks today, who is to say it won't be this site tomorrow? After all, we have an entire subforum on discussing and mirroring the Hillary email leaks and Podesta emails from WikiLeaks.

That’s a complete red herring, because no one from this site is obtaining or posting direct data or information from an illicit source. If they were, I sincerely doubt @mystery-ak or @Cyber Liberty would condone it.

Assange, and/or other members of WikiLeaks knew full well the sources of their information. They’re willing to be errand boys for hostile foreign actors whose goal is to undermine the American political process and sew chaos.

In Oct 2016, at a Wilkes-Barre rally, Trump said “I love WikiLeaks.” You’ll notice how that’s dried up, now that his people are seeing the full intel reports. Furthermore, Assange attempted, during the 2016 election, to make it seem as though Seth Rich was a source and was killed for it. Screw this self-aggrandizing weasel. He’s no hero.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 04:10:04 pm by edpc »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2019, 04:01:55 pm »

That’s a complete red herring, because no one from this site is obtaining or posting direct data or information from an illicit source. If the were, I sincerely doubt @mystery-ak or @Cyber Liberty would condone it.

10-4.  That would be a fast, one-way ticket out of here.  Doxxing somebody is related and will get the same ticket punched.  Either of these things would bring the law down on us.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2019, 04:05:19 pm »
We'll find out soon enough.

Apparently the British are keen to avoid the embarrassment resulting from the administration revealing their involvement in the Russian Collusion caper.

In view of Barr's pronouncement yesterday perhaps British intelligence figures handing over Assange will get the administration what they need to prove their case of political espionage without compromising themselves. Just a thought.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2019, 04:09:07 pm »
Apparently the British are keen to avoid the embarrassment resulting from the administration revealing their involvement in the Russian Collusion caper.

In view of Barr's pronouncement yesterday perhaps British intelligence figures handing over Assange will get the administration what they need to prove their case of political espionage without compromising themselves. Just a thought.

Might be a good thought too.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2019, 04:13:48 pm »

I am on that page.  The UK and Australia may have Trump to contend with for several years.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2019, 04:15:29 pm »
Julius and Ethel Rosenberg

Executed for espionage. No amount of word salad, word parsing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_and_Ethel_Rosenberg
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln