Author Topic: Libya Is Our Regime Change Nightmare - The American Conservative  (Read 325 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Libya Is Our Regime Change Nightmare
We were warned, and now eight years after overthrowing Moammar Gaddafi, the country is being torn to shreds.
By Daniel Larison • April 10, 2019

Eight years after the start of the U.S.-led military intervention to overthrow Moammar Gaddafi and promote “stability,” Libya is still wracked by civil war. Ironically, the violence over the next few days has forced the U.S. to evacuate its remaining forces—there for diplomatic security and counterterrorism—from the volatile country.

Ever since the collapse of the old regime and Gaddafi’s violent death in 2011, Libya has been split among rival militias, and since 2014 it has had two would-be national governments. The government based in Tripoli now enjoys international recognition and some Western support, while the government in the eastern Libyan city of Tobruk has benefited from the support of Egypt, the Saudis, and the United Arab Emirates.

The leader of the Tobruk government’s forces, Khalifa Haftar, is a former exile (at one point in the U.S., reportedly backed by, and maintaining ties to the CIA) who returned to Libya during the 2011 war and served as the head of the new army under the first post-Gaddafi government. Haftar broke with them in 2014, and he has been engaged in a fight to take control of eastern Libya and to oppose the government in Tripoli ever since. Over the last few months, his forces have seized the oil fields in the south of the country. Libya’s long-running civil war escalated sharply in the last week as Haftar launched a surprise offensive against Tripoli in an attempt to seize the national capital. His aggressive move has been met with widespread condemnation, from the U.N., the U.S., and the EU, and it has driven the rival western militias to band together in opposition to him.

Read more at: https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/libya-is-our-regime-change-nightmare/

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Libya Is Our Regime Change Nightmare - The American Conservative
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 04:10:14 am »
What gets me about the 'regime change' in Libya, is that it was part of the greater goal of BHO to destabilize governments in North Africa to make the 'Caliphate' come together. (Never let a crisis go to waste, and if you don't have one, make one.)

But Khadaffi had surrendered his WMD, was a fairly well behaved fellow for a Muslim dictator keeping the tribes in his country at bay and behaved, compared to most. Yes, there were bunches of training camps there, but we knew that, could monitor who came and went via satellite, and how many were gearing up for what. In other words, he was the devil we knew.

Being a 'nice guy' is not the way to leadership in that part of the world, and most of the annointed replacements were people tied in with the Muslim Brotherhood, who fit into the grand design of an Islamic superstate. Getting rid of Khadaffi didn't make sense to me at that point, and if anyone has information to the contrary, please enlighten me.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis