Author Topic: GOP senators introduce bill to cut immigration, rebuke plans by Jared Kushner  (Read 842 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
GOP senators introduce bill to cut immigration, rebuke plans by Jared Kushner
by Daniel Jativa
 | April 10, 2019 12:18 PM
 | Updated Apr 10, 2019, 02:06 PM

A trio of Senate Republicans are moving to thwart efforts by White House adviser Jared Kushner to issue temporary visas to migrant workers by proposing a plan to reduce the number of legal immigrants entering the U.S.

Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., is reintroducing the "Reforming American Immigration for a Strong Economy Act," dubbed the RAISE Act, along with Sens. David Perdue, R-Ga., and Josh Hawley, R-Mo, elected in 2018. The bill would replace the current employment visa framework with a skills-based points system, prioritizing immigrants with U.S.-recognized college degrees, English language skills, high-paying job offers, and financial holdings inside the country.
"Sometimes the president needs to be reminded that he was elected to do something about our immigration problems. The focus is always on the border and points of entry, but his message went beyond that. This is about giving the American worker a fair shake and protecting them from low-skill workers who undercut wages for the average American," one Senate GOP aide involved in pushing the RAISE Act told the Washington Examiner.

"We're ensuring that our federal government is putting American workers ahead of business interests."
The RAISE Act serves as a foil to current efforts from inside the White House, led by Kushner, according to Politico, to increase the number of low- and high-skilled workers permitted to to enter the U.S. to fill needed job vacancies, primarily in the agriculture and hospitality industries. President Trump, while saying he supports higher levels of legal immigration, also endorsed the RAISE Act when it was introduced in the 115th Congress.....

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/gop-senators-introduce-bill-to-cut-immigration-rebuke-plans-by-jared-kushner

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online corbe

GMTA,  :beer:   I had just posted this, I deleted mine because I want to encourage all Briefers that Myst allows us to post pretty much what ever you want to discuss with such a passionate, diverse and always opinionated group of Friends.
   Besides, with each thread Started you earn miles on your Frequent Flyer Miles Card.  (I'm lyin' again)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:24:08 am by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

GMTA,  :beer:   I had just posted this, I deleted mine because I want to encourage all Briefers that Myst allows us to post pretty much what ever you want to discuss with such a passionate, diverse and always opinionated group of Friends.
   Besides, with each thread Started you earn miles on your Frequent Flyer Miles Card.  (I'm lyin' again)

...and you have your choice of either a secret decoder ring or a spooky pirate! 

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Sorry ... back on topic here.

I'm all for cutting immigration.  Beyond that, don't we have U.S. citizens that are highly skilled? 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Sorry I didn't see it.  Forgive me? 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Sorry ... back on topic here.

I'm all for cutting immigration.  Beyond that, don't we have U.S. citizens that are highly skilled?

Trump speaks with forked tongue.  Even those useless Senators now care more about the American worker than the Trump administration.

Online corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This is exactly what Congress should be doing.  Passing this will be next to impossible, but keep introducing the bill and someday it might.

Offline libertybele

This is exactly what Congress should be doing.  Passing this will be next to impossible, but keep introducing the bill and someday it might.

I was always under the impression that there was a 'quota' allotted for various different countries.  If so, what happened?

Offline Chosen Daughter

Always, @Chosen Daughter

Thank you @corbe.

I am surprised that this hasn't generated more discussion.  If people still believe he is going to do what he promised with the border you would have to question why are Republican Senators introducing this bill?  They shouldn't have to.  Its obvious that the President is working in the opposite direction of his campaign promise.  Against the American workers.  And Senator Lindsey Graham isn't behind this.  Isn't it funny that Gang of Eight Lindsey is Trumps man in the Senate?  Trump throws his name out everywhere he goes. 

When are people going to catch on that Trump isn't for them?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Thank you @corbe.

I am surprised that this hasn't generated more discussion.  If people still believe he is going to do what he promised with the border you would have to question why are Republican Senators introducing this bill?  They shouldn't have to.  Its obvious that the President is working in the opposite direction of his campaign promise.  Against the American workers.  And Senator Lindsey Graham isn't behind this.  Isn't it funny that Gang of Eight Lindsey is Trumps man in the Senate?  Trump throws his name out everywhere he goes. 

When are people going to catch on that Trump isn't for them?

This bill is for LEGAL immigration, @Chosen Daughter, not what is happening at the border. 

Offline Night Hides Not

Trump speaks with forked tongue.  Even those useless Senators now care more about the American worker than the Trump administration.

I wouldn't go that far...they're still a subsidiary of the Chamber of Crony Capitalism.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Chosen Daughter

This bill is for LEGAL immigration, @Chosen Daughter, not what is happening at the border.

No, the bill is to reduce legal immigration.  To give American workers a fair shake.  Trump previously supported that but now Kushner is working to increase legal immigration for low and high wage earners.  All of those people who are being released into the country will secure jobs.  There is no need to raise legal immigration especially for low wage earners.  The open border is providing plenty of workers.  I am not sure how it works but since the border facilities are at capacity they are letting these people out into the country.  I am sure they are going with some kind of authority to work.  Why would we need to increase legal immigration?

Offline Chosen Daughter

I wouldn't go that far...they're still a subsidiary of the Chamber of Crony Capitalism.

Aren't you a Crony Capitalist?  Isn't Trump?