Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg draws criticism for saying gay marriage brought him closer to God  (Read 387 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: CHRISTIAN POST

URL: https://www.christianpost.com/news/pete-buttigieg-draws-criticism-for-saying-gay-marriage-brought-him-closer-to-god.html

by Leonardo Blair

Openly-gay Democrat presidential candidate and mayor of South Bend, Indiana, Pete Buttigieg, has drawn criticism for declaring that his same sex-marriage has moved him “closer to God,” and telling Vice President Mike Pence and conservative Christians to “quarrel” with God if they have a problem with his homosexuality.

"My marriage to Chasten has made me a better man — and yes, Mr. Vice President, it has moved me closer to God," Buttigieg declared during a speech at the LGBT Victory Fund's annual brunch in Washington, D.C. on Sunday, according to USA Today. "And that's the thing I wish the Mike Pence's of the world would understand, that if you've got a problem with who I am, your problem is not with me. Your quarrel, sir, is with my creator."

Buttigieg, 37, who is a veteran, a Rhodes scholar and graduate of Harvard, lives with his husband, Chasten, in the same South Bend neighborhood where he grew up, with their two rescue dogs, Truman and Buddy.

Last month, during a Q&A at The South by Southwest Conference & Festivals in Austin, Texas, he said he tries to live a life that is “consistent with Christian teachings” and questioned whether Pence truly believes in Scripture.

“First of all I try to live a life that is consistent with Christian teachings. I know that it is my responsibility not to ever do anything that would in public life, not be equally beneficial or make as much sense to people of another faith or people of no faith. But in my life I believe in that Christian ethic, the idea that was drilled into me in Catholic school even though I’m not Catholic, I’m Episcopalian,” he said.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline SirLinksALot

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Hey Pete
If you disagree with Mike Pence then your quarrel is really with God.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline SirLinksALot

This is what he said:

Buttigieg To Mike Pence: You Don’t Have A Problem With Me Being Gay, You Have A Problem With My Creator

SOURCE: https://hotair.com/archives/2019/04/08/buttigieg-mike-pence-dont-problem-gay-problem-creator/

Offline SirLinksALot

From the above link, the author, AllahPundit observes:

Buttigieg’s frequent attacks on Trump, Pence, and their evangelical supporters for religious hypocrisy is extremely clever strategy by a guy looking for an angle to boost himself into the top tier. One of Buttigieg’s talents (and one which many young politicians share) is how he presents himself as essentially guileless, a fawn wandering America’s foreboding political forest. “Mayor Pete” speaks from the heart; it’s the desiccated dinosaurs who’ve spent the last 50 years serving time in Washington who obsess about “strategy.” Except that’s garbage, of course.

Needling Trump and Pence on morality is a strategic decision, and a shrewd one as it efficiently signals all sorts of virtues to progressives. It shows Buttigieg is a fighter willing to engage the right on “their” turf; it seizes the moral high ground in anticipation of attacks on Buttigieg’s sexuality; it tells the left that they, not the right, are actually the more Christian of America’s two political camps, an intoxicating message to religious (and even irreligious) partisans. It also “elevates” Buttigieg by pitting him against the sitting vice president in headline after headline. You can ignore the mayor of a small Indiana city. You can’t ignore a candidate who’s on offense against our very religious VP on the subject of faith and homosexuality.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Gieg not, lest you be gieged.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.