Author Topic: Students in Texas will be required to learn cursive by end of 5th grade  (Read 1299 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Students in Texas will be required to learn cursive by end of 5th grade
By Aris Folley - 04/09/19 08:35 AM EDT

Starting this fall, students in Texas will be required to know how to write legibly in cursive by the end of fifth grade.

The move comes several years after the State Board of Education changed the language arts requirements for the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills in 2017, according to a local NBC station.

At the time, the updates weren’t reportedly scheduled to take effect until the 2019-2020 school year.

Read more at: https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/437983-students-in-texas-will-be-required-to-learn-cursive-by-end-of-5th-grade

Offline thackney

https://abc13.com/education/texas-schools-bringing-cursive-back-to-classrooms/5239822/

...State leaders who developed the Common Core omitted cursive for a host of reasons, including an increasing need for children in a digital-heavy age to master computer keyboarding and evidence that even most adults use some hybrid of classic cursive and print in everyday life.

"If you just stop and think for a second about what are the sorts of skills that people are likely to be using in the future, it's much more likely that keyboarding will help students succeed in careers and in school than it is that cursive will," said Morgan Polikoff, an assistant professor of K-12 policy and leadership at the University of Southern California.

Cursive advocates cite recent brain science that indicates the fluid motion employed when writing script enhances hand-eye coordination and develops fine motor skills, in turn promoting reading, writing and cognition skills.

They further argue that scholars of the future will lose the ability to interpret valuable cultural resources - historical documents, ancestors' letters and journals, handwritten scholarship - if they can't read cursive.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
I learned cursive in first grade, without ever being taught how to print. That was long ago in a Chicago Catholic school.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Hoodat

https://abc13.com/education/texas-schools-bringing-cursive-back-to-classrooms/5239822/

...State leaders who developed the Common Core omitted cursive for a host of reasons, including an increasing need for children in a digital-heavy age to master computer keyboarding and evidence that even most adults use some hybrid of classic cursive and print in everyday life.

But the primary reason was so that people could no longer read the Constitution.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
As an ex-teacher, I think that it helps students learn to think and organize their thoughts. 

Offline berdie

Students no longer learn to write cursive or spell.  That's coo-coo. Maybe they don't need to today...but they will.

I was on jury duty a couple of years ago with a teacher.  She resigned because of this.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I very rarely wrote in block until I was in the Navy and had to fill out so many supply chits.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Students no longer learn to write cursive or spell.  That's coo-coo. Maybe they don't need to today...but they will.

I was on jury duty a couple of years ago with a teacher.  She resigned because of this.

Do students now even learn math? Or do they only learn how to work a calculator?

Offline Night Hides Not

Do students now even learn math? Or do they only learn how to work a calculator?

Teachers hate parents (and grandparents like me) that teach math to their kids the old, tried and true way, i.e. times tables.

A couple of years ago, we were at Fort Sumter, and the park ranger was talking about the manning requirements for each of the 17 cannons. When he said each battery required 5 soldiers, I said "85 total". You wouldn't believe the number of kids that looked at me like I was crazy...how did he know that?  lol
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Teachers hate parents (and grandparents like me) that teach math to their kids the old, tried and true way, i.e. times tables.

A couple of years ago, we were at Fort Sumter, and the park ranger was talking about the manning requirements for each of the 17 cannons. When he said each battery required 5 soldiers, I said "85 total". You wouldn't believe the number of kids that looked at me like I was crazy...how did he know that?  lol

And young store clerks can't handle it when you give them more money than what the register tells them so that you only get a five back for example.

I taught my son math before he started school and it was several years before the class got to where he started 1st grade with, if then.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Students in Texas will be required to learn cursive by end of 5th grade
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 05:06:13 pm »
Not long after the workplace had put PCs on the desks of engineers, a study was completed.

The study concluded theengineers' productivity benefited greatly from typing class completion. Same for accountants.

Hence the best of all world, "teach your children well;" the beauty of olde writing, and the practicality of touch typing.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 05:09:34 pm »
I learned cursive in first grade, without ever being taught how to print. That was long ago in a Chicago Catholic school.

Right-hand only, I assume....

I should be happy about that I suppose.  It made Mrs. Liberty ambidextrous.   :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 05:11:15 pm »
As an ex-teacher, I think that it helps students learn to think and organize their thoughts.

Helps with spelling too.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 01:23:34 pm »

I should be happy about that I suppose.  It made Mrs. Liberty ambidextrous.   :laugh:

My stepfather was a lefty, but was forced to learn handwriting righty. He never switched back, but one could hardly read his writing. Crazy how things were done back then.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 01:33:32 pm »
Students in Texas will be required to learn cursive by end of 5th grade

Excellent!  Perhaps they will be the core in that generation who can actually read original documents for themselves!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 01:34:41 pm »
My cursive has gotten sloppy over the years. Sometimes I find myself using a block capitalized letter that flows into cursive instead of using a capitalized cursive letter.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 01:38:42 pm »
In a Technical Writing class, one of the assignments was writing a resume. One of my classmates did her resume all in cursive. Her handwriting was beautiful.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 01:47:42 pm »
I write like a doctor!  LOL! No one else can read it but I can!

My penmanship sucks!  When I was in drafting class many years ago I got all the technical stuff just right on the drawings but my lettering was so bad the As turned into Cs.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:50:00 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 02:14:24 pm »

Yall go to hell!
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2019, 02:27:01 pm »
I write like a doctor!  LOL! No one else can read it but I can!

My penmanship sucks!  When I was in drafting class many years ago I got all the technical stuff just right on the drawings but my lettering was so bad the As turned into Cs.

You're penmanship can't be that bad if you can read it.

Some of my notes, I even have trouble understanding what I scribbled down.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2019, 08:06:08 pm »

I was told they got rid of cursive in schools to teach coding instead .
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2019, 08:07:42 pm »

My sister and aunt are ambidextrous because of this too.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2019, 08:11:03 pm »
I was told they got rid of cursive in schools to teach coding instead .

Good one!