Poll

Reparations: Valid Idea whose time has come?

Yes, get it over with
0 (0%)
NO, Insane idea
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: April 14, 2019, 03:25:27 pm

Author Topic: Reparations: Valid Idea whose time has come?  (Read 2505 times)

Online corbe

Reparations: Valid Idea whose time has come?
« on: April 09, 2019, 03:25:27 pm »
   154 years ago on this date Lee surrendered to Grant, thus ending the Civil war.

Black People Should Pay White People For Reparations

Just since the mid-term elections, reparations for slavery has moved from the fringes to the mainstream. Democrat presidential candidates Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, and Julian Castro have endorsed the idea. Marginal candidate Marianne Williamson wants outright cash payments for blacks, but others are leaving the concept vague. “I’m not sure anyone’s very clear [about what it means],” said Senator Bernie Sanders recently.

There is a precedent for reparations. In 1988, Ronald Reagan signed a bill to pay Japanese-Americans who were in relocation camps during the Second World War. Of course, their situation was different: They were actual survivors—and presumably actual victims—whereas all former slaves are long dead. And depending on how beneficiaries are defined, some blacks who immigrated well after the Civil War might be eligible, including Barack Obama and reparations advocate Kamala Harris.

Who would pay the bill? Many whites immigrated after the end of slavery, and even most whites whose families were here during the Civil War hardly benefited from it. Descendants of Union soldiers could say that their debt was settled at Antietam, Fredericksburg, and Cold Harbor.

One of the arguments for reparations is that American economic development required black slavery. “Not only have the people responsible for building this country not benefited from their own labor, but they have been oppressed because of it,” writes Michael Harriot in The Root. “And still, America hasn’t paid its bill.”

<..snip..>

https://www.theburningplatform.com/2019/03/07/black-people-should-pay-white-people-for-reparations/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Applewood

Re: Reparations: Valid Idea whose time has come?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 04:53:15 pm »
My mother came to the US from Italy in 1929 when she was 9.  My father was born here, but his parents emigrated from Austria (Austria-Hungary?) around the beginning of the 20th century.  No one in my family was in this country during the slavery years and even if they  were, I doubt they would have the means to own slaves.  And actually, if I could trace my family back far enough, I might find some ancestors who were "serfs" -- in effect, slaves to wealthy landowners to work their fields. 

So no, I don't think I owe any descendants of slaves anything.  I believe our country has done more than enough to right the wrongs, to give black people a helping hand up and for many, a handout.  Everyone in this country has opportunities.  Doesn't matter what color your skin is.  But it's up to everyone to take advantage of those opportunities.  If they aren't going to help themselves, don't look at me for more handouts. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 05:09:46 pm »
I want reparations for all the good jobs I didn't get because I was the wrong color and didn't satisfy any AA goals.  $1 Million seems like a nice round number.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 05:13:42 pm »
None of my family were in the US during slavery. I demand an exemption.

The race pimps are doing their best to have the country regress into racial divide.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 08:45:00 pm »
My relatives came over via Ellis island between 1890s and 1910s. I’m so grateful because some stayed in Europe and were killed in the holocaust
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 03:22:28 am »
My relatives came over via Ellis island between 1890s and 1910s. I’m so grateful because some stayed in Europe and were killed in the holocaust

I am truly sorry @Freya  ,  I'd think perhaps a few of us lost someone over there.

Online corbe

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 03:39:22 am »
    Similar to Today, when my Family got here (Santonio) in 1729 we were also slaves of the Spanish Catholic Church, by virtue of a King Phillip V EO.     I am a Hildago.
    It proves my theory that Texas has been a dumping ground for all cultures throughout our history.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 02:00:15 pm »
I am truly sorry @Freya  ,  I'd think perhaps a few of us lost someone over there.

Probably, or killed by Stalin or died fighting a war. Or of the flu in 1918. Lots of misery  last century. I have distant relatives who died in each and my uncle’s sister who was born before him died in the flu epidemic. He never knew her, she died before he was born
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 02:03:12 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 06:28:52 pm »
The majority of black people in the USA are descended from free men and not slaves.  The notion is idiotic.  Only a small number of people in America owned slaves.  If the stinking government cannot find the estates of the slave holders in the USA and hit them with reparations, then there is NOTHING to be done.

Government is way out of control. 

Trump is NOT doing his job.  We should be at a balanced budget, and there is no excuse.  He is not even trying to get the worthless Congress to that state of mind.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 06:36:27 pm »
Whatever.

Whitey will get back all the money in no time, anyway.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 06:59:58 pm »
My relatives came over in the 1600's, three of them on the Mayflower. And several of my ancestors were slave owners, but I sure didn't receive anything from their estates.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 07:46:49 pm »
We have been paying reparations since the advent of Johnson's Great Society.  Today, every single dollar paid in personal income taxes goes toward a direct cash payment to another individual.  And that still doesn't cover it.  So the entire 'reparations' schtick is pure hogwash.

Instead of reparation, offer repatriation - a one-way airline ticket to the sub-Saharan nation of their choice along with a $5,000 check and a renouncing of their US citizenship.  See how many people sign up for that.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 08:04:26 pm »
   Didn't Lincoln offer them safe passage back and $200, with few takers he upped the ante to 40 acres and a mule?
   Inflation, I guess.