Author Topic: UC San Diego to exclude students from some majors, depending on "advantage"  (Read 573 times)

Online mountaineer

I'm not making this up.

A selective major is a major that limits enrollment.  ...

Beginning in Summer 2025, currently enrolled students who want to switch into a selective major will be able to apply to selective majors once per year (between Summer and Fall quarters). The selection criteria for entry to the major will consider academic achievement in the specified screening courses and will also be aligned with UC San Diego’s priorities of serving California residents, first-generation college students, and students from low-income families.  ...
UCSD
UCSD announced a new policy April 9 to exclude students whose parent is college educated and makes over $45,000 from enrolling in computer science or other selective majors, unless spots are available after first generation or low income students enroll.

https://twitter.com/SteveMillerOC/status/1782107192424014272
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Steve Miller
@SteveMillerOC
Nearly 40% of all UC San Diego students are first generation students. So if you are not a first generation student or low income, it will likely become virtually impossible to enroll in computer science or other selective majors.
2:05 PM · Apr 21, 2024

Chris
@chriswithans
That’s so obviously a racial preference program disguised as an economic one.  Will also discourage people from a specific race from even applying to the school.
2:18 PM · Apr 21, 2024
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Transfer out!

The DEI selections will wreck the school's reputation anyway, and the smart money will follow the best people.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Looks like they are trying to knock out the Whites and Asians from the pool and bring in more illegals, problem is $45K isn't much money in CA, and college degrees I would expect or more common. It's going to cut thru a large swath of people they don't want to exclude.

Gotta think the donors won't be too happy about it either.
The Republic is lost.