Author Topic: Are Women Malcontents?... Dennis Prager  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Are Women Malcontents?... Dennis Prager
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 09:01:52 pm »
"Tribalism"?   What do you think tribalism means?

@Sanguine ,  I commend to you this excellent column by Bobby Jindal in this morning's WSJ: Conservatives, Resist the Tribal Temptation
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 09:06:29 pm »
@Freya

I haven't read that book, but I looked up some quotes, and I think I might add it to my list if it's on Kindle.  Mary Wollstonecraft's--and her contemporaries, and those who came after for a long time---genuinely wanted to end the status of women as property.  I can't put Steinem or Friedan in that class, though.  Steinem was the original leftwing man-hating feminist.  Much of what's wrong with third-wave feminism was originally rolled out by her.

I don’t understand 3rd wave. I get the first two. Maybe I need to read more of it. Mary Wollenstonecraft was really interesting as a person, and she was the mother of Mary Shelley.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 09:10:35 pm »
@goatprairie

Great post.

There are women who would like to be at home but can't, for various reasons.  There are also women who prefer to work and who would be driven crazy at home.  My husband's sister was one of them.  There wasn't a domestic bone in her body.  She's changed a little since remarrying.  Her nursing supervisor job was exhausting, and once she quit, she started to find out she actually liked being at home.  Now she's always dragging me to Hobby Lobby to look at something for the house.   :laugh:

Personally, working a job was nothing but stressful for me and my husband.  We ate a lot of takeout food, and I would find myself vaccuuming at eleven p.m., in a bad mood.  I wouldn't let him help me because I had my own way of doing things, which was silly.

He kept telling me to quit, but I couldn't take that step.  Until management tried to increase my hours and told me I had no choice.  I said "Yes, I do," and walked out.  It was definitely right for us.

I would never try to tell women in general that they need to be at home because I don't know their situations.  When my sister-in-law was thinking about quitting her job, she said to me, honestly, "I don't know if I'll have an identity without my job."  I replied, okay, but what does it say if your identity is what you do nine-to-five and without it you're lost?

Some women say that being a homemaker is a waste of life.  When I die, I'll have made one man happy---the man God intended for me.  That's enough for me.
"I wouldn't let him help me because I had my own way of doing things,"

Ha,ha...had to laugh. That's what my wife says when I volunteer to do some household task. I never seem to be able to do it the way she likes it done.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2019, 09:18:07 pm »
@Freya

I haven't read that book, but I looked up some quotes, and I think I might add it to my list if it's on Kindle.  Mary Wollstonecraft's--and her contemporaries, and those who came after for a long time---genuinely wanted to end the status of women as property.  I can't put Steinem or Friedan in that class, though.  Steinem was the original leftwing man-hating feminist.  Much of what's wrong with third-wave feminism was originally rolled out by her.
"Steinem was the original leftwing man-hating feminist."

When the angry sixties feminists came out in full force, I immediately viewed them as a negative entity.....even though I was more liberal at the time and was technically for many things they advocated.
For one thing, I've always been anti-abortion, and pro-abortion was one of their major planks. Also, they made no bones about viewing men as their enemy. A lot of them were Marxists.
But what really irritated me was their anti-American attitudes. Looking up the bios of a number of those unhappy, miserable wretches, quite a few of them grew up in the lap of luxury or had quite a few more things growing up than me or my siblings.
Yet they constantly screeched out their hatred of men, capitalism, and their own country.
I've despised the lot of them ever since. Especially Steinem.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2019, 09:19:36 pm »
I don’t understand 3rd wave. I get the first two. Maybe I need to read more of it. Mary Wollenstonecraft was really interesting as a person, and she was the mother of Mary Shelley.

@Freya

Yes, and it’s not getting any better.  There seems to be a bottomless well of rage.

Ah, that’s right!  I couldn’t figure out why the name rang a little bell.

I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline corbe

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2019, 09:29:44 pm »

Ha,ha...had to laugh. That's what my wife says when I volunteer to do some household task. I never seem to be able to do it the way she likes it done.

I did that on purpose, it worked, too.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2019, 09:42:42 pm »
@Sanguine ,  I commend to you this excellent column by Bobby Jindal in this morning's WSJ: Conservatives, Resist the Tribal Temptation

Unfortunately, @Jazzhead, it's behind a paywall.  Just give me the elevator speech.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2019, 10:07:12 pm »
"Steinem was the original leftwing man-hating feminist."

When the angry sixties feminists came out in full force, I immediately viewed them as a negative entity.....even though I was more liberal at the time and was technically for many things they advocated.
For one thing, I've always been anti-abortion, and pro-abortion was one of their major planks. Also, they made no bones about viewing men as their enemy. A lot of them were Marxists.
But what really irritated me was their anti-American attitudes. Looking up the bios of a number of those unhappy, miserable wretches, quite a few of them grew up in the lap of luxury or had quite a few more things growing up than me or my siblings.
Yet they constantly screeched out their hatred of men, capitalism, and their own country.
I've despised the lot of them ever since. Especially Steinem.

@goatprairie

That’s how it is, much of the time. A lot of the leftist screamers came from upper-class homes, but they never learned gratitude. 

I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2019, 12:42:51 am »
The "rise of feminism" is the primary reason behind The West's coming collapse.

Look at The West, vis-a-vis islam, a patriarchal culture (and that's an understatement).

As The West slides further into decline, islam is ascendant.

And.. so it will go until Western men re-assert themselves and literally "push women back into their place" in The West.

Otherwise, things are gonna keep goin'... as they're goin' now.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2019, 12:49:20 am »

Look at The West, vis-a-vis islam, a patriarchal culture (and that's an understatement).

And.. so it will go until Western men re-assert themselves and literally "push women back into their place" in The West.

Sometimes I think we speak the same language, and then, suddenly - I realize we don't at all.

Offline corbe

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2019, 12:57:17 am »
That Genie ain't never going back in her Bottle.  @Fishrrman

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2019, 01:03:38 am »
That Genie ain't never going back in her Bottle.  @Fishrrman

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2019, 02:43:20 am »

@Fishrrman

My place is telling you to sit down.  Your place is there, in the seat, quiet.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2019, 06:03:36 pm »

Not quite, but that is close to true.
Moral turpitude and straying from the laws of YHWH is the primary reason. Feminism is but a symptom.

Again, close to true. In fact, the feminazation of western culture is designed by it's nature to breed strength out of men. When men are weak enough to be vulnerable, other men come and take their crap, to include their women... That's how it works.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2019, 07:59:09 pm »

@goatprairie

Lol

For what it's worth, he pulls the same thing with me sometimes.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2019, 08:01:08 pm »
Moral turpitude and straying from the laws of YHWH is the primary reason. Feminism is but a symptom.

Again, close to true. In fact, the feminazation of western culture is designed by it's nature to breed strength out of men. When men are weak enough to be vulnerable, other men come and take their crap, to include their women... That's how it works.

Y'all ought to be strong enough not to let women breed it out of you. 

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2019, 08:31:32 pm »
@goatprairie

Lol

For what it's worth, he pulls the same thing with me sometimes.
My wife likes to do a lot of tasks that  traditionally were (but not anymore) the prerogative of the man.
 Some years ago we had to assemble a tv stand for our new, large HD tv.  The components were heavy and unwieldy. I actually had to grapple with her to put it together. She wanted to do most of it by herself.
She is not a big woman...5 feet of p*ss and vinegar. When she wants her way, it's best to get out of her way....if you know what's good for you.
When I put together one in my downstairs cave, she kept asking me if I needed help. I'm not the greatest do-it-yourself person, but I managed to put it together without the tv crashing down.
She insists on doing outdoor painting chores (doors) even though she's not great at it. I do the snow clearing, lawn cutting, raking, and roto-till her garden.
But I love my wife...most of the time. Well, actually all the time.

Offline corbe

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2019, 08:56:38 pm »
T.G. Sheppard -I Loved 'Em Every One

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so GD old to want to get married again and become a 3 time loser upon my Death.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2019, 09:18:39 pm »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2019, 01:41:39 am »
Queen wrote:
"My place is telling you to sit down.  Your place is there, in the seat, quiet."

I will not sit down.
I will speak my piece.
If you don't like it, lump it.

Corbe is on my ignore list, but I see Sanguine quoting about the genie never going back into the bottle.

OK, I can accept that.
It is what it is.

But the decline and fall of The West is what it is, too.
It won't stop, because no one will dare put the genie "back into the bottle".

(Wasn't Barbra Eden a cutie?)

Offline corbe

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2019, 02:07:07 am »
   Really @Fishrrman what is it about me that confounds you enough to put me on Ignore? 
   Enlighten me, maybe I'll change, depending on the strength of your argument, but probably not.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2019, 02:08:13 am »
   Really @Fishrrman what is it about me that confounds you enough to put me on Ignore? 
   Enlighten me, maybe I'll change, depending on the strength of your argument, but probably not.

Corbe is a good guy.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2019, 02:09:06 am »

That's difficult to master.... :whistle:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline corbe

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2019, 02:15:30 am »
   Thank You @Sanguine I know it can get pretty intense in here at times and as much as I appear to pizz on some Trumpers parades here I (almost) always have the upmost respect for each and everyone of them, it's how I roll, particularly with Friends.

PS:  My Ignore List is empty

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2019, 02:49:50 am »

You are close, but there is a relationship.

Most of the early moral lessons I had were at my mother's knee. The fundamental rules of behaviour, of honor, of honesty, loyalty, of that which is not to be done (not extreme, but simply things which were simply considered to be socially unacceptable behaviour), manners (including "parlor manners"), hygiene, first aid (Mom ran ambulance calls in later years, Dad was a volunteer fireman from 16--still is--with some time off for Korea), not to mention most of my exposure to classical music and much of my introduction to literature all took place in time spent with my mother, before I went to school (no kindergarten, straight to first grade at 5), and after. That does not begin to take into account the discussions of issues, from political to other topics, that would not have had a chance to happen had my mother worked a 40 hour week, which would have mandated a commute.
But what stands out the most, after all these years, is the moral foundation which was set in stone at that age, that guidance of what was right and what was not has held me in good stead so long as I didn't try to rationalize around it or ignore it--something which inevitably went badly. That influence during my earliest formative years was profound.
Not that my father did not have his influence as well, and not that that influence wasn't and isn't a positive one, but Mom had the first five, overwhelmingly, and set the stage for later personal and character development.
How many children are getting that today?

Now, granted, I grew up well before the Carter years, where a woman having a job (the 'two income family') was more optional than it is now and in the years after the surge of inflation that accompanied all those 'extra' incomes, and that is more difficult to do now.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis