Author Topic: 2020 candidates struggle to convince home-state voters they’re ready for White House  (Read 238 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

2020 candidates struggle to convince home-state voters they’re ready for White House
Politico, Apr 7, 2019

Sen. Kamala Harris has been elected three times to statewide office, and she’s one of the most popular politicians in California. Yet according to the latest Public Policy Institute of California poll, just 38 percent of likely state voters say she should be running for president.

In New Jersey, only 37 percent of Sen. Cory Booker’s constituents think he would make a good president. In Massachusetts, two-thirds of likely voters told a Suffolk University Political Research Center/Boston Globe poll last fall that Sen. Elizabeth Warren shouldn’t run for the White House.

They’re not the only 2020 contenders whose constituents have misgivings about their presidential ambitions. New Yorkers pine for Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders ahead of home-state Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand — 61 percent said they’d be happy if Sanders was the nominee, compared to 45 percent who said the same about Gillibrand.

Indeed, for much of the Democratic field, there’s little home advantage to be found. Some contenders would have a tough time winning their own states in the general election. A few seem likely to lose their states even in the Democratic primary. Never before has the designation of a favorite daughter or favorite son candidate appeared so meaningless.

More:  https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/07/2020-democratic-candidates-home-field-1250088

Offline Right_in_Virginia

This could explain why Biden's at 28% and waiting to enter the fray.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:22:48 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
For a while I thought Harris could be a serious contender - she's polling at a respectable 9%. But at least half of that is probably coming from CA alone - nationally she might not even be competitive with the feeble Booker and Warren operations.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA