Author Topic: The hard-earned honour of Henry Aaron  (Read 1299 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The hard-earned honour of Henry Aaron
« on: April 08, 2019, 05:10:21 pm »
Forty-five years ago tonight, Aaron demolished Babe Ruth's career home run record and the idiocies attached to his pursuit of it.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/04/08/the-hard-earned-honour-of-henry-aaron/

8 April 1974: Henry Aaron, swinging into history.

It really has been forty-five years since Henry Aaron laid waste to Al Downing’s 1-0 service
and Babe Ruth’s career home run record. Forty-five years since Milo Hamilton’s immortal holler, through the din of Fulton County Stadium, “There’s a new home run champion of all time, and it’s Henry Aaron!”

Forty-five years since Aaron rounded the bases, accepting handshakes from every Dodger infielder, and plunged into a crowd at home plate that included, somehow, and much to his surprise, his parents. Forty-five years since Vin Scully, the Dodgers’ broadcaster whose team was the victim as Aaron swung into history, purred inimitably:

He means the tying run at the plate now, so we’ll see what Downing does . . . Al at the belt now, and he delivers, low, ball one. And that just adds to the pressure, the crowd booing. Downing has to ignore the sound effects and stay a professional and pitch his game . . . One ball, no strikes, Aaron waiting, the outfield deep and straight away. Fastball — and a high drive into deep left center field, Buckner goes back, to the fence, it is gone!!! . . . (long pause during crowd noise and fireworks) . . .

What a marvelous moment for baseball, what a marvelous moment for Atlanta and the state of Georgia, what a marvelous moment for the country and the world. A black man is getting a standing ovation in the deep South for breaking a record of an all-time baseball idol. And it is a great moment for all of us, and particularly for Henry Aaron, who was met at home plate not only by every member of the Braves, but by his father and mother . . . It is over, at 10 minutes after nine in Atlanta, Georgia, Henry Aaron has eclipsed the mark set by Babe Ruth.

Forty-five years, since the unconscionable pressure of mental cases plying Aaron with hate mail for daring to even think about passing the Sacred Babe; of racists plying him with hate mail and death threats enough to require police and even FBI protection for the unassuming outfielder whose career wasn’t bigness as much as it was sustained excellence.

And, alas, forty-five years, since his own team strove to cheapen a one-time-only achievement by putting the gate ahead of the game.

Aaron entered 1974 needing one homer to tie and one more to pass Ruth. The Braves entered 1974 bent on making damn well sure he could do both before the home audience alone, the Braves’ first homestand due to begin after a season-opening visit to Cincinnati. Boy, wouldn’t that have been great for the gate at the old Launching Pad!

Three New York sportswriters (for the record: Dick Young, the New York Daily News; Dave Anderson, The New York Times; Larry Merchant, the New York Post) said not so fast, post haste. They denounced the plan without softening their prose or apologizing for their stance, and ramped up a drumbeat on behalf of convincing then-commissioner Bowie Kuhn thwarting the plan.

Furman Bisher of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution led an equally passionate counterattack and denounced the New York writers as “meddling Manhattan ice-agers” who would do better to demand the cleanup of Times Square before criticizing the sainted Braves one of whom was about to blast the Big Fella out of the books without wearing a uniform from New York.

What the Braves wanted to do hadn’t exactly been unheard of in baseball to that point, alas. When Stan Musial struck toward his 3,000th career hit, the Cardinals were playing the Cubs in Wrigley Field and Musial shot number 2,999 his first time up in the second game of the set. Cardinals manager Fred Hutchinson elected to sit Musial in the final game of the set, with the Cardinals due for a home-stand to follow, unless he needed Musial to pinch hit.

W.C. Heinz, once a New York Sun sportswriter who’d since turned to magazine writing, put it this way to Red Smith (then of the New York Herald-Tribune):

Maybe I’m speaking out of turn, but it seems to me Hutch is sticking his neck out. His team got off to a horrible start and now it’s on a winning streak and he’s got a championship game to play tomorrow, without his best man because of personal considerations. Not that the guy hasn’t earned special consideration, but from a competitive point of view I think it’s wrong. If the Cardinals lose tomorrow, Hutch will be blasted. He’ll be accused of giving less than his best to win and it will be said the club rigged this deliberately for the box office, gambling a game away to build up a big home crowd.

As things turned out, the Cubs were up 3-1, the Cardinals had a man on second, and Hutchinson sent Musial up to pinch hit. Musial hit the sixth pitch of the sequence for an RBI double. Hutchinson lifted him for a pinch-runner; the Cubs stopped the game to pay Musial tribute; and, the Cardinals kept the rally alive and went on to win the game.

Musial was allowed to do it the right way, after all. Back home in Sportsman’s Park the following night, Musial got an elongated standing O from the home audience and thanked them with a drive over the right field pavilion.

Smith would have something to say, too, when Kuhn stepped in and ordered the Braves not to even think about sending out a lineup lacking Aaron:

He explained to [Bill] Bartholomay what self-interest should have told the Braves’ owner, that it is imperative that every team present its strongest lineup every day in an honest effort to win, and that the customers must believe the strongest lineup is being used for that purpose. When Bartholomay persisted in his determination to dragoon the living Aaron and the dead Ruth as shills to sell tickets in Atlanta, the commissioner laid down the law. With a man like Henry swinging for him, that’s all he had to do.

Thus did Aaron appear in the Opening Day lineup against Jack Billingham, a Reds pitcher against whom he’d already had four home runs lifetime. Aaron merely drove one over the left field fence in that very first at-bat to tie Ruth, vindicate Kuhn, Young, Anderson, Merchant, and anyone who believes in honest competition, and receive a pleasant commemoration from Kuhn after he finished rounding the bases.

Braves manager Eddie Mathews, a Hall of Fame third baseman and longtime Aaron teammate as it happens, sat him for the second game of the set, provoking Kuhn to order Mathews to put Aaron back into the lineup for the series closer. Aaron missed fair and square, when the Reds’s Clay Kirby struck him out twice and lured him into a ground out. And home went the Braves.

The first time up against Downing, in the second inning, Aaron walked and scored on an error. Come the fourth, Aaron squared Downing up for the milestone mash. Once a Yankee comer but turned journeyman by a few injuries, Downing earned his living with a fastball that tailed away from right-handed hitters and crawled in on left-handed hitters. This time, it didn’t tail away.

And with one smooth, unadorned, unaffected swing, the ball sailed parabolically into the left center field bullpen.

With the same swing, Aaron demolished all the mental cases, all the racists, and (there were a few) all the baseball Luddites to whom shoving Ruth to one side in the career bomb record books was even more blasphemous than Roger Maris shoving Ruth to one side in the single-season record book thirteen years earlier.

But Aaron also demolished his own team’s shabby pretentiousness and, running four bases, stood foursquare for earning his milestones the old fashioned way. And once he made his way through the home plate crowd of adoring teammates, he got hit with a big kiss on his face from his mother, Estella. “I don’t remember the noise,” Aaron said later.

Or the two kids that ran on the field. My teammates at home plate, I remember seeing them. I remember my mother out there and she hugging me. That’s what I’ll remember more than anything about that home run when I think back on it. I don’t know where she came from, but she was there.

On 8 April 1974 Atlanta, the South, the United States, and the world learned where Henry Aaron came from. To remember how honorably as well as how courageously he got to meet, greet, and pass Ruth would be nothing less than his due.

“I don’t want anybody to forger Babe Ruth,” Aaron said modestly. “I just want them to remember Henry Aaron.” I think he’s gotten his wish a thousandfold.

Estella Aaron made bloody certain her baby
wouldn’t make history without a hug and kiss from
Mom.

-----------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@AllThatJazzZ
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@Freya
@GrouchoTex
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@SZonian
@TomSea
@truth_seeker
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 05:24:43 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Applewood

Re: The hard-earned honour of Henry Aaron
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 05:36:31 pm »
A great story about one of my favorite baseball players.  Happy Anniversary, Henry Aaron!

I had forgotten about the shenanigans surrounding that record-breaking homer.  And I didn't know the poor guy was subject to hate mail for daring to break Babe Ruth's record.  A lot of incredibly ignorant people in this world. 

Thanks @EasyAce

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 05:40:32 pm »
I saw it live, on TV, in my living room.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 05:42:43 pm »
A great story about one of my favorite baseball players.  Happy Anniversary, Henry Aaron!

I had forgotten about the shenanigans surrounding that record-breaking homer.  And I didn't know the poor guy was subject to hate mail for daring to break Babe Ruth's record.  A lot of incredibly ignorant people in this world. 

Thanks @EasyAce
@Applewood
One of George Plimpton's best books was about Aaron's pursuit of Ruth and some of the shenanigans surrounding it, One for the Record: The Inside Story of Baseball's Greatest Home Run.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 05:43:47 pm »
@GrouchoTex
So did I---the game was televised nationally. For me, living in New York state at the time still, all I could say was thank God they were carrying the Dodgers' version of the broadcast, else I'd have waited until the YouTube era to hear Vin Scully's remarkable call.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 06:16:04 pm »
Furman Bisher of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution led an equally passionate counterattack and denounced the New York writers as “meddling Manhattan ice-agers” who would do better to demand the cleanup of Times Square before criticizing the sainted Braves

Sainted Braves?  That's laughable.  Bisher was never a friend of the Braves.  In '82 when the Braves made the playoffs, Bisher had written two Sporting News articles covering the team, both negative.

As for Aaron, it was a shining moment for a kid like me who grew up loving the Braves.  While all my friends pulled for the A's, Reds, Dodgers, Pirates, etc., I continued to pull for a team that finished 30-40 games out of first place year after year.  While victories were far and few between, I relished moments like Aaron's record, Gene Garber striking out Pete Rose to end his hitting streak, Rick Camp's Independence Day homer, and Bob Horner's 4-HR game.  I would trade everything of today's Braves and their fancy stadium to roll back the clock to those days at Fulton County Stadium where I could sit on the front row for $3 among a sparse crowd of 2-3,000 actual baseball fans.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 06:28:14 pm »

To have been one of the two guys who met him on the base path between 1st and 2nd.

Ralph Garr would hit over .350 that year.  Phil Niekro would win 20 games, six of them shutouts.  And the Braves would finish with their last winning record of the decade.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 06:31:27 pm »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 06:36:56 pm »
. . . Gene Garber striking out Pete Rose to end his hitting streak . . .
@Hoodat
I remember that only too well. Especially Rose all but impugning Garber's manhood because Garber nailed him with a 2-2 changeup: I thought he woulda challenged me with a fastball. I mean, just what did Charlie Hustler think a pitcher who lived on breaking balls was going to do, get himself killed in a game his team was still trying to win? It was as if Rose was trying to say, I'm entitled to bust this record I'm trying to bust, who the hell are you to deny me?

I know, the final score was 16-4 . . . but the Braves had only a four-run lead when Garber was brought into the game to start the seventh inning, and the Reds still had a formidable lineup even if they weren't quite the Big Red Machine anymore. After Garber started that seventh by surrendering a base hit to Dave Collins, Rose lined into a double play. So Rose struck out to end the game? It's not like he didn't have his shot at Garber earlier in the game. If anything, the most appropriate question to ask after Rose cracked on Garber would have been, You can't hit a changeup after sixteen years in the major leagues?

Online Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 06:46:05 pm »
@Hoodat
I remember that only too well. Especially Rose all but impugning Garber's manhood because Garber nailed him with a 2-2 changeup: I thought he woulda challenged me with a fastball. I mean, just what did Charlie Hustler think a pitcher who lived on breaking balls was going to do, get himself killed in a game his team was still trying to win? It was as if Rose was trying to say, I'm entitled to bust this record I'm trying to bust, who the hell are you to deny me?  .  .  .  If anything, the most appropriate question to ask after Rose cracked on Garber would have been, You can't hit a changeup after sixteen years in the major leagues?

Garber could have thrown it over the backstop, and Rose would have still swung at it.  The night before, Niekro gave him a gift by pitching Rpse a fast ball in his last at bat.  If he had kept to his money pitch, we wouldn't even be talking about Garber.

(Full disclosure:  I can't stand that arrogant pr*ck Pete Rose)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 06:59:51 pm »
Vin Scully

To hell with the Dodgers.  Here is how Braves fans heard it - TV volume off, radios on:

Milo Hamilton and Ernie Johnson

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 08:04:40 pm »
To hell with the Dodgers.
I wasn't a Dodger fan but I was (and remain) an admirer of Vin Scully. And much as I also admired Milo Hamilton and Ernie Johnson, sorry, they were no Vin Scully. But that's not a knock on them---nobody else was, either.