Author Topic: Gay Presidential Hopeful Pete Buttigieg Lectures Trump and Evangelicals on Biblical Sexual Ethics  (Read 228 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: PJ MEDIA

URL: https://pjmedia.com/faith/gay-presidential-hopeful-pete-buttigieg-lectures-trump-and-evangelicals-on-biblical-sexual-ethics/

by Paula Bolyard

South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg came out swinging at President Trump and Christians on "Meet the Press" Sunday, after host Chuck Todd asked him about evangelical support for the president.

"You said something rather strong about the president, that you said, 'It's hard to look at his actions and believe that they are the actions of somebody who believes in God.' How do you square that assessment with the fact that the evangelical Christian community is so devoted to his candidacy?" Todd asked.

Mayor Pete (as the fawning media has dubbed him) called evangelicals who support Trump hypocrites. "Here you have somebody who not only acts in a way that is not consistent with anything that I hear in scripture or in church, where it's about lifting up the least among us and taking care of strangers, which is another word for immigrants," Buttigieg said, "and making sure that you're focusing your effort on the poor. But also personally, how you're supposed to conduct yourself. Not chest thumping look-at-me-ism, but humbling yourself before others."

Let's put aside for a moment Buttegeig's reductionist definition of Christianity -- a truncated version that leaves out the bits about sin, repentance, and judgment. Let's continue:

"Foot washing is one of the central images in the New Testament," he continued. "And we see the diametric opposite of that in this presidency. I think there was perhaps a cynical process where he decided to, for example, begin to pretend to be pro-life and govern accordingly. Which was good enough to bring many evangelicals over to his side."

Well, I'll give him that. Trump's vocal opposition to abortion is the main -- if not the only -- reason many evangelicals voted for Donald Trump in 2016. And his actions to limit abortion as president are why they will vote for him again in overwhelming numbers in 2020 -- despite his personal moral failures, which many Christians find odious.

"But even on the version of Christianity that you hear from the religious right, which is about sexual ethics, I can't believe that somebody who was caught writing hush money checks to adult film actresses is somebody they should be lifting up as the kind of person you want to be leading this nation,"

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline SirLinksALot

Erick Erickson rightly noted, Buttigieg's theological lecture comes to us courtesy of a man who a) is gay and married to his partner and b) supports partial-birth abortion. Is it any wonder this charismatic boy mayor is the darling of the mainstream media?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Buttigieg has a point.   Evangelical support for the President is based on pure expedience.    So is a lot of his conservative support, generally.

Now, sure,  a lot of that support has to do with his willingness to confront the arseholes on the left.    But that shouldn't blind us to the compromises we've been forced to make with respect to our values.    I long for the days - not that long ago - when I could enthusiastically vote FOR a candidate for President,  rather than being forced to choose between the lesser of two evils.   
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 04:11:50 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide