Author Topic: Trump's Plan to Reduce Trade Deficit Falters as it Hits an All-Time High Instead  (Read 954 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Government interventionism in the markets doesn't work? Shocked I tell you, shocked....

President Trump’s America First policies are not having their intended effect.
The Commerce Department reported Wednesday the U.S. posted a more than $891 billion merchandise trade deficit last year—the largest in the history of the country.
Significantly, the trade deficit with China hit a record $419 billion, despite a series of tariffs the administration imposed on Chinese goods to decrease reliance on imports.
Meanwhile, the overall goods and services deficit jumped 19% between November and December 2018, to $59.8 billion, the highest monthly trade deficit in 10 years. .....

http://fortune.com/2019/03/06/us-trade-deficit-record-high/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-article&utm_content=20190408&fbclid=IwAR0a_Hs_CLDHv-S3rcfPPZR-tVeh52yJfMSWDvChm2M6Wzpxk72092aCDKw

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

The deficit jumped right before significant tariff increases kicked in?   I wonder what could cause that.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Absalom

Principle (Sovereign Right) always trumps principal (fatter capitalist wallets).
Nations that either don't grasp or ignore this, litter the dustbin of history.
Nevertheless, Trump's lack of awareness of cause and effect is embarrassing!