Author Topic: CNN: Aging undocumented immigrants pose costly health care challenge  (Read 326 times)

rangerrebew

Aging undocumented immigrants pose costly health care challenge

by Teresa Wiltz, Stateline   @CNNMoney January 4, 2018: 12:26 PM ET

Early on a recent morning, men huddle in the Home Depot parking lot, ground zero for day laborers on the hunt for work. Cars pull into the lot, and the men swarm.

Among them is Marcos, at 65, wiry and bronzed with a silvery smile. He's been in the country illegally for 20 years. When he's sick, he just rests, because — like most undocumented workers — he doesn't have insurance.

"I don't know if I have high blood pressure," he said. "Because I don't check. Doctors, you know, are expensive."

For decades, the United States has struggled to deal with the health care needs of its undocumented immigrants — now an estimated 11 million — mainly through emergency room care and community health centers. But that struggle will evolve. As with the rest of America, the undocumented population is aging and developing the same health problems that plague other senior citizens.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/01/04/news/economy/undocumented-immigrants-health-care/index.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 03:02:01 pm by rangerrebew »