Author Topic: Romney: We have a 'responsibility' to fulfill Obama's 'commitment' to Dreamers  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Romney: We have a 'responsibility' to fulfill Obama's 'commitment' to Dreamers
Washington Examiner, Apr 7, 2019

Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, said Sunday Dreamers, children of immigrants brought into the country illegally, should get legal status.

"Well, it's been put in place by President Obama and I believe we have a responsibility to fulfill what is a presidential pledge and commitment. So that's in the past. I would provide legal status for those Dreamers in the country," Romney said on NBC's "Meet the Press," referring to the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program that shields these individuals from deportation.

"That's something the president's put on the table. I think we should get that job done, and hope, we will get that done," he added.

This is an adjustment from his earlier stance. Romney previously said that he personally opposed letting the Dreamers stay, but that the issue had already been decided. "My view was that these DACA kids shouldn’t all be allowed to stay in the country illegally, but President [Obama] and both parties said, ‘No, we’re going to let the 1.8 million stay in the country and give them legal residence, legal status.’ That was not my posture," he said at an event in Utah last year.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/romney-we-have-a-responsibility-to-fulfill-obamas-commitment-to-dreamers

Offline libertybele

Romney: We have a 'responsibility' to fulfill Obama's 'commitment' to Dreamers
Washington Examiner, Apr 7, 2019

Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, said Sunday Dreamers, children of immigrants brought into the country illegally, should get legal status.

"Well, it's been put in place by President Obama and I believe we have a responsibility to fulfill what is a presidential pledge and commitment. So that's in the past. I would provide legal status for those Dreamers in the country," Romney said on NBC's "Meet the Press," referring to the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program that shields these individuals from deportation.

"That's something the president's put on the table. I think we should get that job done, and hope, we will get that done," he added.

This is an adjustment from his earlier stance. Romney previously said that he personally opposed letting the Dreamers stay, but that the issue had already been decided. "My view was that these DACA kids shouldn’t all be allowed to stay in the country illegally, but President [Obama] and both parties said, ‘No, we’re going to let the 1.8 million stay in the country and give them legal residence, legal status.’ That was not my posture," he said at an event in Utah last year.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/romney-we-have-a-responsibility-to-fulfill-obamas-commitment-to-dreamers

Perhaps Romney hasn't been paying attention; Trump is keeping Bammy's promise.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
How did this Mexican cult member ever get elected to public office in the US to start with?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline libertybele

How did this Mexican cult member ever get elected to public office in the US to start with?

Lack of those to run against him with enough money to beat him.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I had thought a year or so ago that the Dreamers would prove to be an effective bargaining chip to get more funds for border security.   We know how that went.    Why should Mitt Romney give a flip about the Dreamers when the Dems obviously don't?     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Frandia

I had thought a year or so ago that the Dreamers would prove to be an effective bargaining chip to get more funds for border security.   We know how that went.    Why should Mitt Romney give a flip about the Dreamers when the Dems obviously don't?   

He's a fan of the new global world order. Another empty suit staying around beyond his time.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Why doesn't Romney just admit he's a democommie?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Night Hides Not

He's a crony capitalist, a disease that afflicts those on both sides of the aisle and the White House.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

No,  he's just not drank the alt-right, anti-immigrant Kool-Aid.   Back in the day,  we used to call such folks conservatives . . . .

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
What a loser. Literally.

Offline austingirl

No,  he's just not drank the alt-right, anti-immigrant Kool-Aid.   Back in the day,  we used to call such folks conservatives . . . .

@Jazzhead
Don't conflate immigration with illegal aliens invading our country.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Romney can KMA.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead
Don't conflate immigration with illegal aliens invading our country.

The Dreamers were brought here as minors by their parents.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The Dreamers were brought here as minors by their parents.

Yes, also known as "illegal aliens invading our country."

Offline austingirl

888high58888

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Oh stop with the hysteria.   A minor child is hardly an "invader".   The Dreamer proposals would allow such folks to remain provided they contribute to the nation by paying taxes, going to college, serving in the military, etc.    Most on both the right and the left consider such proposals reasonable, precisely because the Dreamers were not purposeful "invaders".    And for conservatives who want more border security,  they represent leverage to get a deal that would provide more funding.    Except, as Mitt appears to have forgotten,  the Dems are cynics who don't care about the Dreamers, not in any context where Trump might be able to declare a political victory.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Oh stop with the hysteria.   A minor child is hardly an "invader".   The Dreamer proposals would allow such folks to remain provided they contribute to the nation by paying taxes, going to college, serving in the military, etc.    Most on both the right and the left consider such proposals reasonable, precisely because the Dreamers were not purposeful "invaders".    And for conservatives who want more border security,  they represent leverage to get a deal that would provide more funding.    Except, as Mitt appears to have forgotten,  the Dems are cynics who don't care about the Dreamers, not in any context where Trump might be able to declare a political victory.

Hysteria?  You're projecting.  There was absolutely nothing hysterical about my post.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Hysteria?  You're projecting.  There was absolutely nothing hysterical about my post.

Decrying Dreamers - kids merely brought to this country by their parents - as "invaders" counts as hysteria in my book.    The DACA proposals are intended to normalize the status of the Dreamers, not their parents.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Decrying Dreamers - kids merely brought to this country by their parents - as "invaders" counts as hysteria in my book.    The DACA proposals are intended to normalize the status of the Dreamers, not their parents.

I know that, Jazz, and as many of us have been pointing out to you for years, your book is complete and utter fiction.

Offline austingirl

I know that, Jazz, and as many of us have been pointing out to you for years, your book is complete and utter fiction.

@Sanguine

goopo

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Just imagine if he was president and said, “We're going to show great heart. I love these kids."

Oh, wait....the current one already did.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Hoodat

Mitt, you have a responsibility to stop dumping government debt onto your children and grandchildren.  In other words, you have a responsibility to live within your means and stop borrowing/printing new money to finance your own political excesses.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online dfwgator

Who's "we"?

Online dfwgator

It's anti-ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT!!!!!

Online dfwgator

Oh stop with the hysteria.   A minor child is hardly an "invader".   The Dreamer proposals would allow such folks to remain provided they contribute to the nation by paying taxes, going to college, serving in the military, etc.    Most on both the right and the left consider such proposals reasonable, precisely because the Dreamers were not purposeful "invaders".   

Which will only encourage more invaders to bring their children.  Rinse. Lather. Repeat.