Author Topic: Cats can recognise their own names, say scientists  (Read 1219 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cats can recognise their own names, say scientists
« on: April 07, 2019, 11:20:00 pm »

Cats can recognise their own names, say scientists

Researchers claim domestic cats can pick out their name in string of words

Nicola Davis
@NicolaKSDavis

Thu 4 Apr 2019 09.00 EDT

Tibbles and Tiger might not let you know it, but they appear to recognise when their name is being called, research into human-cat relationships has claimed.

The researchers said previous studies had shown that other animals, including dogs, dolphins and parrots could show some understanding of human vocalisations, but it was unclear whether felines could too.

Now for the first time research appears to suggest domestic cats could pick out their name in a string of words.

Dr Atsuko Saito, first author of the research from Sophia University in Japan, said: “There are so many studies about dog ability to communicate with humans. We think it is important to show cats’ ability.”

more
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/apr/04/cats-can-recognise-their-own-names-say-scientists
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Cats can recognise their own names, say scientists
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 03:50:31 pm »
I believe this, just as I believe they won't let on to their human slaves that they do.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline berdie

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 10:09:48 pm »
Of course they recognize them...they just don't care. (I do that myself sometimes)

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 10:17:40 pm »
I just don’t understand why anyone would name their targets...
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 01:02:14 pm »
Cats are smart. My first kitty knew her name and would come when she was called unless she was in deep sleep mode. She also knew the words fish and chicken and would run into the kitchen and meow. Birdies would make her salivate and also the word squirrel.

She also knew what time I would be home from work and she would be meowing in the window when I would come home.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 01:54:47 pm »
Of course they recognize them...they just don't care. (I do that myself sometimes)

@berdie

I agree with both. One of the few advantages of getting old is you can pretend to not hear what people are saying to you. It has been my experience in life that you are better off not hearing most of the crap directed your way,anyway.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline berdie

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 09:33:26 pm »
Agreed @sneakypete .  Especially the part of most of it being not interesting or worth listening to.

I don't remember also works (even if you do) lol