Author Topic: American troops in Libya moved out of country as violence escalates near capital  (Read 297 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
American troops in Libya moved out of country as violence escalates near capital

By Sudarsan Raghavan
April 7 at 9:35 AM

CAIRO — American forces currently operating inside Libya have relocated temporarily outside the war-riven country due to growing unrest in the Libyan capital, the U.S. military’s top commander for Africa said Sunday.

“The security realities on the ground in Libya are growing increasingly complex and unpredictable,” Marine Corps Gen. Thomas Waldhauser, head of U.S. Africa Command, said in a statement Sunday.

The contingent of U.S. forces present in Libya provides military support for counterterrorism activities and diplomatic missions and works to improve security in the region, the statement said. Waldhauser did not discuss where the U.S. forces have been relocated.

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/american-troops-in-libya-moved-out-of-country-as-violence-escalates-near-capital/2019/04/07/bf754a6c-58b2-11e9-aa83-504f086bf5d6_story.html

Sounds like this could really breakdown into some serious chaos.
Haftar forces conduct air strike on Tripoli as U.N. calls for truce

TRIPOLI/BENGHAZI, Libya (Reuters) - Eastern Libyan forces carried out an air strike on the southern part of Tripoli on Sunday, escalating an operation to take the capital despite calls for a truce from the United Nations.

The Libyan National Army (LNA) force of Khalifa Haftar, which backs a parallel administration in the east, last week launched an advance on Tripoli in the west, the home to the internationally recognised government.

The offensive intensifies a power struggle that has fractured the oil and gas producer since the 2011 overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-libya-security-strike/haftar-forces-conduct-air-strike-on-tripoli-as-u-n-calls-for-truce-idUSKCN1RJ0CU

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Good move. Get our people OUT of there.

Let that entire country go to hell in a killing spree.

Who really cares ?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Gas is up per gallon...we'll see what else could happen. I guess, Libya is an important enough producer, Syria not. I really don't know.

Offline Victoria33

@Cyber Liberty

My son went to Libya to make a documentary film about Muammar Mohammed Abu Minyar Gaddafi and his guards - all the guards were women because Gaddafi did not trust men to be around him.  Gaddafi locked son in his hotel room until he thought son was not CIA.  Son travelled with Gaddafi around the country while Gaddafi made speeches.  At one speech place, Gaddafi pointed out son and yelled something.  Son did not know if he was about to be killed.  Later, he found out Gaddafi said, "The United States lies to their people.  They lie to him!"  The "him" was my son.

Son was in the building where Gaddafi lived.  Son started up the stairs to go with Gaddafi to his bedroom.  The women guards stopped him, said Gaddafi did not want the CIA to know where his bedroom was - did not want it on film.  When son left Libya, he told me, "Gaddafi is crazy.  He kills people just because he can."

Offline dfwgator

'We Came. We Saw. He died.'