Author Topic: Dog owners are much happier than cat owners, survey finds  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Dog owners are much happier than cat owners, survey finds
« on: April 07, 2019, 12:05:35 am »
The well-respected survey that’s been a barometer of American politics, culture and behavior for more than four decades finally got around to the question that has bedeviled many a household.

Dog or cat?

In 2018, the General Social Survey for the first time included a battery of questions on pet ownership. The findings not only quantified the nation’s pet population – nearly 6 in 10 households have at least one -they made it possible to see how pet ownership overlaps with all sorts of factors of interest to social scientists.

Like happiness....

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/04/05/dog-owners-are-much-happier-than-cat-owners-survey-finds/

I knew it!

Offline thackney

Re: Dog owners are much happier than cat owners, survey finds
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 12:43:15 pm »
Speaking as the "owner" of both, well of course.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 12:48:57 pm »
A lot of cat owners are shut ins so this makes sense. I bought a cat to deal with the mice problem that I was sick of. Cats get an undeserved reputation imo. They are wonderful pets. Of course they are not dogs, but I find them loyal and affectionate. My cat sleeps by my side every night, wherever I am in the house he follows.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 12:55:54 pm »
No surprise. Dog owners are a simpler folk. All they want is absolute worship and absolute obedience.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 01:45:04 pm »
No surprise. Dog owners are a simpler folk. All they want is absolute worship and absolute obedience.

I had a co-worker who talked me into giving his, and his son's, Golden Retriever, "Fatso" a good home. He had just purchased a new house and there was going to be no place for the dog.

Of course I took in Fatso to accompany my two other dogs, a yellow lab, Toby, and a newfie/lab mix, Blackie.

Fatso's spirit had been completely broken. If I simply lifted up my arm, Fatso would instantly cower down. It took many years for him to become completely happy.

His previous owner must of been one of those "Simpler Folk" that you were referring of.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 01:45:33 pm »

I must have the wrong kind of dogs.  They're not absolutists in any sense.  While it usually makes them happy to figure out what I want them to do, they still have to want to do it.