Author Topic: For Eritrean Americans, Nipsey Hussle’s death is like losing a family member  (Read 696 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
For Eritrean Americans, Nipsey Hussle’s death is like losing a family member
 PRI's The World   April 05, 2019
By Tarkor Zehn

Community members gathered outside of the Eritrean Community Center in St. Paul, Minnesota, to honor slain rapper Nipsey Hussle on April 3, 2019.

The shooting death of rapper Nipsey Hussle in Los Angeles March 31 left resident Merone Melekin of St. Paul, Minnesota, overwhelmed with grief.

“For 24 hours, I didn’t leave my bedroom,” she said. “I didn’t get up to eat, I didn’t go to work, I just continued to listen to his music and just kept asking the question, 'why?'”

For Melekin and other Eritrean Americans, it felt like they had lost a family member. Hussle, 33, was of Eritrean descent, and a treasured member of the country’s diaspora.

Read more at: https://www.pri.org/stories/2019-04-05/eritrean-americans-nipsey-hussle-s-death-losing-family-member

I had no idea, this rapper had this kind of background. I'm not even sure, if I saw prior articles on him in the forum.

They arrested and charged  of all things, someone named "Eric Holder" for the murder.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
How big a tragedy can it be? He was a freaking rapper. They are almost as useful as jock itch,but not as smart.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online corbe

You'd think he was an actual Honest Ref in the NBA the way the players are mourning him.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online dfwgator

I'm insulted that he based his Stage name  on a Great American, like Nipsey Russell.

Online corbe

LeBron James: Nipsey Hussle's murder 'one of the most unfortunate events' in American history

By Rachel Frazin - 04/06/19 02:11 PM EDT

NBA Star LeBron James opened up about the loss of his friend, rapper Nipsey Hussle, whose death James called "one of the most unfortunate events" in American history.

“It’s so unfortunate when you look at a guy who believed in what he believed in, talked about how he wanted to give back to his own community, actually gave back to his community and actually stayed in his community — there’s not many who’ve done that,” James told a Los Angeles CBS affiliate.

“To see his life taken away from him in his community by someone that comes from his community, it’s one of the most unfortunate events that has happened in American history,” he added on Friday.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/437705-lebron-james-nipsey-hussles-murder-one-of-the-most-unfortunate
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

Tupac isn't bad.

I use to listen to a station sometimes, that was "classic rap", maybe it still had a touch of soul in it. I didn't think it was all bad. Some of the songs got too raunchy, FM radio, so I stopped listening to it, mainly over that.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:16:42 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

It is unfortunate but if he wasn't gang banging to begin with, I'm sure this would not have happened.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I can't believe a rapper got caught up in this. They're usually all penny loafers, turtlenecks, hot cocoa, and Mr. Rogers reruns.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
FWIW, this guy had apparently turned his life around.

I don't care for rap, but I do like "life turnaround" stories.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln