Author Topic: Latest Attack in Mexico Shows Depth of Border Crisis  (Read 403 times)

rangerrebew

Latest Attack in Mexico Shows Depth of Border Crisis
« on: April 06, 2019, 01:32:08 pm »

April 5, 2019

A Mexican police station was attacked by cartel gangsters with grenades and rifles. Although the perpetrators were captured, this shows just how violent the border area is. Breitbart reports:

The State Security Commission (CES) announced the arrest of two individuals suspected of carrying out a grenade and rifle attack on a state police facility in Juárez Wednesday. The incident left one officer wounded with non-life-threatening injuries after being struck by gunfire.

A group of cartel gunmen sprayed rifle fire and tossed two fragmentation grenades at the government installation which houses the command staff of the state police commission at approximately 12:50 am on Wednesday morning, according to local reports.

https://1600daily.com/2019/04/05/latest-attack-mexico-shows-depth-border-crisis/

Offline Victoria33

Re: Latest Attack in Mexico Shows Depth of Border Crisis
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 01:55:26 pm »
@rangerrebew

Living in Texas, in years past, I went to Mexico a number of times.  The last time was in 1990.  I would not go there today and neither should anyone else.  Tourists are not safe there.  Mexico must be losing millions/billions? of dollars as tourist traffic must be slow now.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 02:58:05 pm »
@rangerrebew

Living in Texas, in years past, I went to Mexico a number of times.  The last time was in 1990.  I would not go there today and neither should anyone else.  Tourists are not safe there.  Mexico must be losing millions/billions? of dollars as tourist traffic must be slow now.

Same here, @Victoria33.  I used to love going across the border.  Took my kids.  Never had a problem.

I expect the lost tourist traffic has been replaced by drug money and money sent from the U.S.  Not a good trade-off for either side of the border. 

Online LadyLiberty

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 04:08:36 pm »
Actually their tourist numbers are quite healthy, and I don't get it.  ( https://www.travelpulse.com/news/destinations/mexico-tourism-numbers-reveal-strong-first-half-of-2018.html )  I read articles about the Yucatan peninsula, and the cartels have encroached into the tourist zone and have committed all sorts of brutal murders, and then there was the tourist ferry that was blown up by cartel bombs.  The Texas / Mexico border was fine years ago but has become a no-man's land.

If someone runs for office with promises to clean it up, this is what happens to them:  https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/27/americas/mexico-political-deaths-election-season-trnd/index.html

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 04:40:24 pm »
Skullduggery has gone on for a long time in Mexico, the difference is, it was a lot less than today and more hidden... but it was there.

My logic was, I'm not going to go somewhere,  Juarez specifically, where styrofoam ice chests are left outside of the police station with the severed heads of police officers inside. That may be morbid and grotesque to say but that has happened.

And even then, this stuff was happening, I'm repeating myself but not nearly at the same scale.  I don't want to be 10 miles within where this stuff is happening... okay, being on the US side might be tolerable but you get the picture.  And this was done against Police officers who fought against the cartel.  Nothing more though, there is a possibility they sided with an opposite cartel, truth be told, there is no real justice there.

Yucatan has resorts, Playa del Carmen, that's on the Travel Warning list. Some of those resorts now are basically enclosed compounds, separated somewhat from the outside world.

I read some article, the worse that could have happened in the past was having your pocket picked, that's an exaggeration but not a bad comparison all the same.

Remember Mark Kilroy? Slave marijuana plantations in Northern Mexico?  Santeria, this stuff happened well before the troubles of today, which started I believe in about 2007.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 04:45:21 pm »
In fact, we use to go to a bar, not downscale but not exclusive either, pay the Mariachi band say $3-$5 dollars for a song, you name it. That was a blast, the waiters were good people too, I can remember them.  There use to be a lot of fun things to do and then, before that, as a kid, we went to see glass blowing, the market.  It was really a blast. Now, like I said, even if one could make a case that something on the tourist route was safe, just that this stuff goes on in the same city bothers me.

Mexico City was really a blast and picturesque. I think the new Mexican president might be able to improve things at least a little.

I've never been to Times Square but parts of Mexico City had those kinds of big impressive kinds of signs I see in pictures of Times Square.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 05:16:47 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 04:57:49 pm »
April 5, 2019

A Mexican police station was attacked by cartel gangsters with grenades and rifles. Although the perpetrators were captured, this shows just how violent the border area is. Breitbart reports:

The State Security Commission (CES) announced the arrest of two individuals suspected of carrying out a grenade and rifle attack on a state police facility in Juárez Wednesday. The incident left one officer wounded with non-life-threatening injuries after being struck by gunfire.

A group of cartel gunmen sprayed rifle fire and tossed two fragmentation grenades at the government installation which houses the command staff of the state police commission at approximately 12:50 am on Wednesday morning, according to local reports.

https://1600daily.com/2019/04/05/latest-attack-mexico-shows-depth-border-crisis/

The attack is supposedly related to a threatening narco-banner displayed on Tuesday night near a baseball field, according to local reports. The message made direct threats against Commandante Amiklar Chavez Alarcón, accusing him of working for the Juarez Cartel and presumably signed by “El Chapulin” of the Gente Nueva of the Sinaloa Cartel.

See, the attack on police had to do with allegedly, the police showing favor to one cartel and as we know, that kind of influence goes all the way up to the top... at least, with some past Presidential administrations. Not saying this one and not saying all.

It's such a BS scenario too, you have these youth gangs who are helping the Kingpins, something like the Aztecas is one and La Linea is another.  Who wants to read up on this kind of stuff. And drug profits? Some kingpins have billions, ample money to buy weapons on the black market, maybe even grenades and other dangerous weapons.  It's been reported, even tanks.... so much money and if you are as poor as can be in Mexico, would you help them out? Vicious and a lost situation really.