Author Topic: Serbian Right-Wing Targets ‘Turning Point’ in Anti-Government Protests  (Read 214 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Serbian Right-Wing Targets ‘Turning Point’ in Anti-Government Protests | Balkan Insight
Maja Zivanovic

A protest called for April 13 in Belgrade must mark a “turning point” in months of protest against Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic, says right-wing protest leader Bosko Obradovic, but his vow to target a private, pro-Vucic television channel has some questioning the movement’s democratic credentials.

Obradovic’s Dveri party has taken on an increasingly prominent leadership role during four months of weekly protests against Vucic and his ruling conservative Progressive Party, alienating a liberal section of Serbian society angry at Vucic’s concentration of power but seeing little better in Dveri’s brand of right-wing populism.

Forty-two-year-old Obradovic, one of a number of leaders of the opposition bloc Alliance for Serbia, was instrumental in the storming of Serbia’s public broadcaster, Radio-Television Serbia, on March 16 at the head of a column of protesters demanding greater airtime for opponents to Vucic.

Read more at: https://balkaninsight.com/2019/04/05/serbian-right-wing-targets-turning-point-in-anti-government-protests/

The above is a Balkan Insight premium story so does require a subscription to read the full article, however, here is some other  coverage:

President reacts: Fascism won't pass here
"I urge the citizens of Serbia not to worry about the latest fascist incursion of Bosko Obradovic and his followers into the (Belgrade) City Assembly."
Source: B92 Thursday, April 4, 2019

Fascism will not pass, President Aleksandar Vucic said.

In an unscheduled address to the media after the events in front of the Belgrade City Assembly, where supporters of opposition Alliance for Serbia (SZS) tried to force their way into the building, Vucic said that he first wanted to apologize to the women who prevented SzS members from storming the Assembly.

"I apologize to the women who had to suffer insults from unknown persons, because Obradovic is not from Belgrade, he did not even stand in elections for the city parliament. What had been done (in the past) in Hungary and Nazi Germany - these fascist ideas will not pass in Serbia, and therefore I call on institutions to do their job. Fascism has no future in Serbia because democracy is a form of political regime that we have been fostering and continue to foster," Vucic said.

Read more at: https://www.b92.net/eng/news/politics.php?nav_id=106555

Bosko Obradovic

Marija Ristic , journalist from over there I follow on twitter in trying to discern events, she seems helpful.