Poll

Do you let your CAT outside?

I don't have a Cat
5 (25%)
Yes, it stays out there
3 (15%)
No
6 (30%)
Whatever the Cat wants, It's taught me well.
6 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: April 10, 2019, 12:43:33 am

Author Topic: Do you let your CAT outside?  (Read 3607 times)

Offline corbe

Do you let your CAT outside?
« on: April 05, 2019, 12:43:33 am »
How Bad Is It to Let Your Cat Outside?

Andrew Small

2 days ago

What does your cat do when it goes outdoors?

The question may linger in the mind of anyone who has an outdoor cat, and the answer has become quite a bit clearer in the age of YouTube and GoPro cameras. It’s not a pretty picture, though—just take it from this 2013 New York Times headline: “That Cuddly Kitty is Deadlier Than You Think.” An alarming study cited in that piece estimates that cats kill about 2.4 billion birds and 12.3 billion mammals each year in the United States. About 29 percent of those bird deaths and 10 percent of those mammalian deaths could be attributed to house cats in particular, according to the study. 

“Some cats don’t kill anything, some cats kill 20 animals a week,” says Peter Marra, a conservation biologist who co-authored the study as well as the book,Cat Wars: The Devastating Consequences of a Cuddly Killer.

So should you let your pet cat outside, whether it’s to hang out in the backyard or to wander around the neighborhood? CityLab spoke with Marra to find out just how much damage these “cuddly killers” can do, and why he thinks it’s time for outdoor cat owners to do what many outdoor dog owners did about 50 years ago. This conversation has been edited and condensed for clarity.

So this starts as a kind of kitchen table debate: If you own a cat that you normally keep indoors, should you ever let it outside?

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/pets-animals/how-bad-is-it-to-let-your-cat-outside/ar-BBVxZsa?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Do you let your CAT outside?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 01:05:38 am »
Growing up, our tomcat, Puss in Boots,  would disappear for a couple of weeks at a time. He would come back, battle scarred and all tired out. He'd stay home and recoup and then disappear for a while again. Once he brought my sister five live baby rabbits and she bottle fed them. None of the dogs in the neighborhood would mess with him. When he got older he stopped disappearing as much.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 01:19:03 am »
   I went on strike last week and refused to clean my young Cat's litter box, It worked. She accepts my demand that she do her business outside (I have a doggie door).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 01:38:37 am »
My old gal likes to go outside for about a 1/2 hour or so most days.

If she wants to catch the sun in the back she can go out herself through the dog's door.

If she wants a bit out time out in the front, she let's me know.

When out front she won't leave this property or the two adjoining, doesn't want to wander far, just check up on what is going on.

She doesn't chase any prey, too old for that, content to just stare them down!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 01:45:33 am »

Sorry, don't let it in the house.
The Republic is lost.

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 01:46:14 am »
   @EdJames
   I have pack rats living behind me and on one side.  Terrible varmint problem.  The dogs take care of the possums and the coons but the Cat is necessary for the rodents.
   If I see a mouse in my house I'm dumping the cat near Peking Restaurant.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 01:49:04 am »
   @EdJames
   I have pack rats living behind me and on one side.  Terrible varmint problem.  The dogs take care of the possums and the coons but the Cat is necessary for the rodents.

Well that young'un needs to earn her keep!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 01:51:09 am »
We don't 'let' them. They have learned to open doors and trick us like two velocoraptors. One distracts us as we walk in while the other bolts out. They take a stroll around the hood and come right back.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 02:50:24 am »
   @EdJames

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 03:07:29 am »
Farmers know the trick to getting a good cat, keep the ole grandmother cat (she teaches the younger cats how to eat and kill mice instead of just playing with them)....

Now we have an uneducated cat that plays with her food... but she sometimes will kill a bird or mole... but in the day, grandma cat in the barn kept the other cats in the killing business... used to take a 22 rifle and thin the herd down every so often (yes, we shot the extra cats from time to time). Grandma cat though was treated as royalty.

No barn now, just an in and out cycle... pretty good cat but I let the wife and kids baby her, I love my Beagle dog most.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline corbe

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 03:51:18 pm »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 03:57:50 am »
Nope.  If the 'yotes don't get them, a vulture will.  Both of them set my driveway alarm off regularly.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 02:47:11 pm »
no no no no no

@Hopalong Ginsberg  8888sitting kitty 8888spinning cat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 02:56:16 pm »
No.

A few problems with letting cats outdoors:

1) They get hit by cars.

2) They pick up diseases.

Offline thackney

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 03:10:32 pm »
My cats' job is outside so they stay outside.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Hopalong Ginsberg

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 03:50:19 pm »
All my cats are/have been inside cats. They live longer that way.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 04:01:14 pm »
IMHO, and no offense meant, locking a cat up indoors is nearing cruelty. How can a cat be a cat in that condition?

Barn cats are always outside, but even the house cats are free to come and go. They keep the mice out of the house alright, but they go hunting every day. It's what they do.  :shrug:

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 04:06:13 pm »
IMHO, and no offense meant, locking a cat up indoors is nearing cruelty. How can a cat be a cat in that condition?

Barn cats are always outside, but even the house cats are free to come and go. They keep the mice out of the house alright, but they go hunting every day. It's what they do.  :shrug:

See my post.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 04:23:29 pm »

Our catz have always been indoor catz, and have been very firm abut staying away from outside doors when they are open ever since they first heard the 'yotes howling when we first made the move to the Castle.  Protecting them from the predators is the height of loving them, not cruelty at all.

Mrs. Liberty had several resin statues of lions that we put outside, and I think they might be scaring the little desert rats away.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 04:24:20 pm »
See my post.

Nah. As a general rule, cats are not only extremely resilient, they are also pretty smart.
There is pretty good traffic coming by our place, where folks often exit off the bypass...
Lose way more cats to eagles than to cars - and those lost to eagles are still few.

As to disease, not much. Even barn cats, which require little maintenance and are treated as expendable, similar to guinea hens... Even our barn cats are sleek and healthy, and seldom require treatment beyond the once-a-year visit by the vet for general purposes.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 04:29:23 pm »
Our catz have always been indoor catz, and have been very firm abut staying away from outside doors when they are open ever since they first heard the 'yotes howling when we first made the move to the Castle.  Protecting them from the predators is the height of loving them, not cruelty at all.

Mrs. Liberty had several resin statues of lions that we put outside, and I think they might be scaring the little desert rats away.

That's why the dogs. Ain't no coyote setting foot on our place, nor any cats other than our own. Anything foreign does not live long.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 04:39:15 pm »
See my post.

Yep.  I don’t have a cat right now, but I had two who both lived into their teens.  Wouldn’t have happened if I’d let them out.  Growing up, we had a big screen porch, and they were happy with that.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 04:40:14 pm »
We don't 'let' them. They have learned to open doors and trick us like two velocoraptors. One distracts us as we walk in while the other bolts out. They take a stroll around the hood and come right back.

Lol

They do learn fast.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

• Technical
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 07:10:48 pm »
Nah. As a general rule, cats are not only extremely resilient, they are also pretty smart.
There is pretty good traffic coming by our place, where folks often exit off the bypass...
Lose way more cats to eagles than to cars - and those lost to eagles are still few.

As to disease, not much. Even barn cats, which require little maintenance and are treated as expendable, similar to guinea hens... Even our barn cats are sleek and healthy, and seldom require treatment beyond the once-a-year visit by the vet for general purposes.

This may be true for rural Montana, but it's a whole different ballgame for suburban Boston. I"ve seen enough cats either dead or actually struck by cars to know that they don't understand the true speed of automobiles. And we have a lot of rats eating out of garbage around here, hence disease.

If I lived in a rural area fine... although cats are preyed upon, successfully, but all sorts of predators like hawks, coyotes, etc.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 07:16:05 pm »
   I went on strike last week and refused to clean my young Cat's litter box, It worked. She accepts my demand that she do her business outside (I have a doggie door).

We call those "Skunk doors".
Countdown to Resignation