Author Topic: People Living in These US Cities Are Most Eager to Get Out  (Read 1508 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

People Living in These US Cities Are Most Eager to Get Out
« on: April 10, 2019, 05:44:45 pm »
SOURCE: MONEYWISE

URL: https://moneywise.com/a/people-in-these-us-cities-most-want-to-get-out

by Doug Whiteman

When Americans browse home listings online, a quarter of them are considering moving to a new city, says the real estate website Redfin.

They might want to trade an expensive, crowded, crime-ridden metro area for a place where buying a home is easier on your finances, traffic isn't a nightmare, and streets are safer. Or, they're eager to flee a city with high unemployment for one with lots of cool opportunities.

We count down the 20 cities home shoppers are most eager to bolt from, according to Redfin's migration report. They're the places where people looking to leave most outnumbered people who were considering moving in during the final months of 2018.

20. Columbia, South Carolina

Since Columbia is at the bottom of the ranking, there's only slightly more interest in leaving the South Carolina capital than in relocating here.

The metro area offers loads of jobs in state government, education (the University of South Carolina is here) and health care. Columbia's drawbacks include the hot, sticky summers and a relatively high crime rate.

Redfin describes the local real estate market as "very competitive": Homes are selling for an average $139,000 and are typically snapped up in a little over one month.

19. Syracuse, New York

Buffalo may have more of a reputation for unrelenting winters, but this city 150 miles to the east takes the trophy as America's snowiest. Syracuse gets an average of more than 10 feet of snow every year.

That could be a major reason why people who live here are inclined to hunt for houses elsewhere — maybe places where you wouldn't need to keep a snow blower in the garage.

If you'd like to move to Syracuse, you won't need much money to buy a home: Sale prices have been averaging just $105,000. And the local unemployment rate recently fell to an 18-year low of 3.7%.

18. Knoxville, Tennessee

Knoxville is the third-largest city in Tennessee (after Nashville and Memphis) and a gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains. The starring feature on the local skyline is the Sunsphere, a tower left over from the 1982 World's Fair.

Unemployment recently dropped to just 2.8% in Knoxville, and Livability.com has declared it one of America's most "recession-proof" cities because of the strong growth in local economy.

But still, people are looking to leave — and are finding that getting out can be a bit of a challenge. Homes for sale tend to linger on the market for more than two months, Redfin says, and then sell for an average 2.4% less than the list price.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:27:24 pm by Mod5 »

Offline thackney

Re: People Living in These US Cities Are Most Eager to Get Out
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 09:24:12 pm »
this city 150 miles to the east takes the trophy as America's snowiest. Syracuse gets an average of more than 10 feet of snow every year.

- - - - - - -

Alaska is in America.

Valdez, Alaska has the distinction of being the snowiest town in Alaska.  The annual average snowfall is 305.8 inches. >25 feet

The winter of 1989-90 is in the record books as the snowiest winter ever for Valdez with a total of 560.7 inches (46 feet) of snowfall.

http://www.nebraskaweatherphotos.org/Valdez-Alaska-Snow-Capital.html
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 09:31:00 pm »
this city 150 miles to the east takes the trophy as America's snowiest. Syracuse gets an average of more than 10 feet of snow every year.

- - - - - - -

Alaska is in America.

Valdez, Alaska has the distinction of being the snowiest town in Alaska.  The annual average snowfall is 305.8 inches. >25 feet

The winter of 1989-90 is in the record books as the snowiest winter ever for Valdez with a total of 560.7 inches (46 feet) of snowfall.

http://www.nebraskaweatherphotos.org/Valdez-Alaska-Snow-Capital.html

46 feet?  They must live in snow tunnels like little snow trolls.  I can't even imagine that.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 11:38:10 am »
46 feet?  They must live in snow tunnels like little snow trolls.  I can't even imagine that.

Every year they have an outdoor movie theater projected on a wall of snow that was carved flat.

Intersections involve careful pulling up to reach the point where you can see around the snowfall.

Snow removal results in mountains of snow that last most of the summer.

Just a bit to North is Thompson pass.  Not a town, but this point does have the Trans-Alaska Pipeline crossing it, so access is required.

Average snowfall is 551 inches, ~46 ft on average

1952-53 season dropped 974.5 inches, over 81 ft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_Pass
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:52:09 am by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 01:28:09 pm »
Cities close to the Great Lakes do get a lot of snow.  Most of it is of the lake effect variety -- that is, it comes in from Canada over the lakes and it's usually sudden and it piles up quickly.  It can be sunny and bright, then a dark cloud comes in and dumps a pile of snow.  Maybe 15-20 minutes later, the snow is over, the sun is out, but there is a foot or more of snow on the ground. 

I live close to Pittsburgh -- too far from the lakes, but I've seen lake effect snow -- on a smaller scale, of course.  It's an amazing sight.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 01:48:07 pm »
Lakeland, FL, made the list because it's 90 min from the beach?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 01:55:57 pm »
Every year they have an outdoor movie theater projected on a wall of snow that was carved flat.

Intersections involve careful pulling up to reach the point where you can see around the snowfall.

Snow removal results in mountains of snow that last most of the summer.

Just a bit to North is Thompson pass.  Not a town, but this point does have the Trans-Alaska Pipeline crossing it, so access is required.

Average snowfall is 551 inches, ~46 ft on average

1952-53 season dropped 974.5 inches, over 81 ft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_Pass

I couldn't wrap my head around 46 feet, but 81?

🤯

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 02:04:41 pm »
It appears that most on the list are Democrat hellholes, e.g., San Fran, L.A., Washington, DC.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 03:28:04 pm »
It appears that most on the list are Democrat hellholes, e.g., San Fran, L.A., Washington, DC.
Syracuse is run by an independent (from a Republican family who beat a Democrat), but New York under Cuomo has become so hamfisted in regard to local rights that indeed people are fleeing upstate. God help you if you're in the rural areas.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 07:14:25 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 04:34:55 pm »
The article also lists the top 10 cities people are fleeing TO.  #2 is the metro I just fled...lol.  Good news to me because I'll get a decent price for the house I'm leaving behind.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: