Author Topic: Trump gives Mexico 'one-year' warning for auto tariffs, border shutdown  (Read 12535 times)

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: Trump gives Mexico 'one-year' warning for auto tariffs, border shutdown
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2019, 06:06:14 pm »
$1 billion a day would be lost. US companies deal with Mexico, we'd be shutting them down. Twin Plants, medical equipment, truck drivers. Funny how all the Cruz toadies once again disagree with Ted. @corbe

'Millions of jobs' at risk if U.S.-Mexico border closes, Sen. Ted Cruz warns
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/04/04/ted-cruz-trump-border-closing-would-devastating-texas/3362333002/

The sad thing, is lots of obstacles already stand in the way of building the wall, wildlife, all of that.

Security, security, security is what is needed.  That's been an effective solution all along, the thing is, is that with changes of administrations, we would probably lessen security,  scale down the Border Patrol and so on.

More agents are needed.

Cruz is wrong.

Ask yourself a question:

Did we really lose a shutdown with the democrats for under the dollar amount of what 1 week of a border shut down would cost in commerce?

Yet, Cruz is partially right, it would hurt economically.

So I say shut it for one week, make the case that we will lose more than what we shut the government down for, and add that if the border is secure, those economic numbers should climb higher yet!

Or we could just roll over and play Republican, as we have always done.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:09:32 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2019, 06:07:51 pm »
Moving the red lines... Obama 2.0
Yep.

What's next? Double secret probation?

Paper tiger.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2019, 06:27:33 pm »
Cruz is wrong.

Ask yourself a question:

Did we really lose a shutdown with the democrats for under the dollar amount of what 1 week of a border shut down would cost in commerce?

Yet, Cruz is partially right, it would hurt economically.

So I say shut it for one week, make the case that we will lose more than what we shut the government down for, and add that if the border is secure, those economic numbers should climb higher yet!

Or we could just roll over and play Republican, as we have always done.

Yeah, I agree.  Shut it down, for a short time and let's see if Mexico steps up to the plate.

An aside, much of the illegal cross-border traffic does not occur at legal points of entry.  When we say "shut it down", we still have the unsecured part of the border unsecured.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2019, 06:31:14 pm »
Mexico is the pass through entity for the Hondurans, Guatemalans, etc. It isn't just Mexicans, it isn't even just Central Americans, or even South Americans seeking to blend in and cross. Mexico could stop these caravans and turn them around at their border.

As for the uncontrolled areas of our border, this is like having a house without walls, not like leaving the door open.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2019, 06:34:07 pm »
Yeah, I agree.  Shut it down, for a short time and let's see if Mexico steps up to the plate.

An aside, much of the illegal cross-border traffic does not occur at legal points of entry.  When we say "shut it down", we still have the unsecured part of the border unsecured.

True, and the resources need at the ports of entry, if they are closed, can bolster the areas that are not.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2019, 06:34:45 pm »
I am not voting for any Commie either.  There is either going to be a Conservative candidate interested in National Security or I won't vote.

@Chosen Daughter

It saddens me to say it now looks like neither you nor I will be voting for a Presidential candidate in 2020.

I  have never hoped for anything more than I hope to be proven wrong on this. 2020 WILL BE THE LAST CHANCE WE HAVE TO SAVE AMERICA VIA THE BALLOT BOX.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2019, 06:38:21 pm »
$1 billion a day would be lost. US companies deal with Mexico, we'd be shutting them down. Twin Plants, medical equipment, truck drivers. Funny how all the Cruz toadies once again disagree with Ted. @corbe

'Millions of jobs' at risk if U.S.-Mexico border closes, Sen. Ted Cruz warns
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/04/04/ted-cruz-trump-border-closing-would-devastating-texas/3362333002/

@Tom Sea

Maybe Senor Cruz will tell us how many millions of dollars and jobs will be lost by allowing the brown invasion to continue unregulated and even rewarded with "free stuff"?

We either control our borders or we don't have a country. PERIOD!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2019, 06:41:42 pm »
Yeah, I've been disappointed with President Trump on this issue...but Ronald Reagan gave the store away to the Rats on this issue.

@Cyber Liberty

No,he didn't. Reagan agreed to a COMPROMISE with the Dims to limit and regulate the amount of foreigners to cross the border. He agreed to this because he was of a generation where he thought his political opponents were honorable men and women who would keep their word.

IMHO,he would have never agreed to it if he had of had any idea what the end result was going to be.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2019, 06:45:14 pm »
He'd love to, but he listened to Ted Cruz and others and will go another way.

@Emjay

Senor Ted is not at fault here. He did not and could not force Trump to do anything against his will. It was Trump's decision,and he  has to own it.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2019, 06:45:26 pm »
He'd love to

How do you know this?
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2019, 06:46:53 pm »

Yep....remember this?

“We started off … 17 people. Now we’re down to not very many people,” he said. “And once you get to a certain level, it changes. I will be changing very rapidly.”

“I’m very capable of changing to anything I want to change to,” the real estate mogul said.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/feb/11/donald-trump-im-very-capable-changing-anything-i-w/

@edpc

That’s so 2016.

I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline aligncare

« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2019, 07:21:28 pm »
@Emjay

Senor Ted is not at fault here. He did not and could not force Trump to do anything against his will. It was Trump's decision,and he  has to own it.

With support like this around, Trump don’t need no stinking democrats to bash him. He’s got TBR deadenders.

Anyway, Trump just reported today that ever since he made that threat (giving everyone here the vapors), Mexico has communicated some changes they have made that Trump says is very encouraging.

It’s a good thing we don’t have to rely on you guys to supply negotiating tactics.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2019, 07:35:45 pm »
With support like this around, Trump don’t need no stinking democrats to bash him. He’s got TBR deadenders.

Anyway, Trump just reported today that ever since he made that threat (giving everyone here the vapors), Mexico has communicated some changes they have made that Trump says is very encouraging.

It’s a good thing we don’t have to rely on you guys to supply negotiating tactics.

You might read what Ted actually said before you start bashing him.  Semi-fake news.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2019, 07:41:21 pm »

@aligncare

What did you expect him to say,"They made me promise to not only provide the lube,but to bend over and grab my ankles"?

"The devil is ALWAYS in the details,and we have not heard any details.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2019, 07:44:52 pm »
I believe Trump wants national security. I just think he often talks without pondering what he's saying.

Holey moley, if that's the case, he needs to be voted out.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2019, 07:46:22 pm »
@libertybele

At least one is posting elsewhere, and being less complimentary to Trump than she is here.

TOS is having a meltdown, and it's the first week of a Freep a Thon. Lot of mad Trumpsters over there, some actually publicly agreeing with Ann Coulter.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2019, 07:49:11 pm »
Holey moley, if that's the case, he needs to be voted out.

This surprises you?  He's been in office for two years now.   :shrug:

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2019, 07:50:53 pm »
This surprises you?  He's been in office for two years now.   :shrug:

Don't get mad at me, I didn't vote for him.

:rolling:

Nothing Trump does surprises me. He's turned the Presidency into a reality show.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2019, 08:00:01 pm »
It seems to be his style.  After he says it, he does think about it though. And, he's not a stupid man.

Offline Frandia

« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2019, 08:10:01 pm »
Yeah, I've been disappointed with President Trump on this issue...but Ronald Reagan gave the store away to the Rats on this issue.

We have already been burned once by false promises of border security in exchange for tying security to other aspects of the immigration debate. President Reagan, in 1986, signed the Immigration Reform and Control Act, which legalized close to 3 million undocumented immigrants. The laws was supposed to be a comprehensive solution with provisions intended to clamp down on border security. These provisions were never enforced, and the subsequent explosion in illegal crossings has resulted in some 11 million illegal aliens living in the United States today.

In 1986 I voted for the Simpson-Mazzoli immigration bill because we were told it would solve the problem of massive illegal immigration. In his diaries, President Ronald Reagan said he was going to sign the bill because we had to regain control of our borders. The Simpson-Mazzoli bill contained three promises:

The government would make a concerted effort to control the borders.
An effective employer verification program would ensure that only legal workers were hired.
One-time amnesty would be granted for people illegally in the United States.

All three promises were broken. The government has made no serious effort to control our borders. Employers continue knowingly to hire illegal immigrants without any real fear of punishment.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 08:18:47 pm by Frandia »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2019, 08:17:38 pm »

Of course he has. The USMCA was great, North Korea is no longer a nuclear threat, and the China negotiations are going to be yuge!
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2019, 08:29:13 pm »
It seems to be his style.  After he says it, he does think about it though. And, he's not a stupid man.

Yes, he is. He still believes China is paying billions in tariffs. They’re not. Those costs are passed along to the consumer. He also doesn’t grasp what a memorandum of understanding is. He’s a empty, oversized Brioni suit.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline corbe

« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2019, 08:34:00 pm »
   Great, I've graduated from a Cruz Toadie to a TBR Deadender.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 08:34:48 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 09:06:17 pm by Mod2 »
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2019, 09:11:03 pm »
@Once-Ler

No,they would <personal insult removed>.
@sneakypete
Your <personal insult removed> replies are my favorites. wink777